• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have looked extensively through the statutes and other than the NR article about loaded guns, I cannot find a statutory definition of what MD considers a loaded gun.

Can anyone add anything? I am asking about pistols, not revolvers.
    Don't think there is one.. Just mentioned "loaded firearm".

Beleive there is a section about loaded black powder and crossbows.. Not firearms.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Have a loaded firearm in, on, or leaning
    against any vehicle. This includes ammunition
    in the magazine or a muzzleloader
    ready to fire.
    • Have a loaded crossbow in, on or leaning
    against a vehicle. A loaded crossbow is
    one that is cocked AND has an arrow or
    bolt in the firing position.

This was taken from MD Hunting Regs: General. Maybe not what you are looking for, BUT, they are legal definitions of Loaded.

And it seems to be the only definition in a statute. I'd guess a SA would use that definition in a prosecution.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I can tell you that a round in the magazine of a rifle, not chambered will get you a summons from the DNR, the cops will call them in just for that. I know someone that this happened to. It was a bolt action rifle with a self-contained magazine. It is a DNR violation if there is a round 'in the gun'.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MD statutes make no differentiation of where the statute is located. It's a violation of a statute, not just a DNR violation. It just happens to be in the DNR Article 10 part of the MD Code..You can be charged even if not engaged in hunting.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    In this particular case, the person was charged, but with a different violation, illegal transportation of a handgun. It was used the day before and was still in the trunk the next day, actually they were on the way home from work to unload the weapons from the vehicle, but.... that's what they told the MSP. There was no charge for the loaded rifle, that was just a ticket from the DNR. I'm sure if they could have charged this person with the loaded rifle, they would have added that also. ;)

eta - they were not hunting

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    In this particular case, the person was charged, but with a different violation, illegal transportation of a handgun. It was used the day before and was still in the trunk the next day, actually they were on the way home from work to unload the weapons from the vehicle, but.... that's what they told the MSP. There was no charge for the loaded rifle, that was just a ticket from the DNR. I'm sure if they could have charged this person with the loaded rifle, they would have added that also. ;)

eta - they were not hunting
    I should elaborate to clarify... they were involved in a traffic accident, the trunk came open and the cops saw the weapons when they arrived at the scene. They had been target shooting the day before.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Understood, but MSP can charge you with a violation of the statute in the DNR Article as easily as DNR can. That's all I was pointing out.

just don't have a loaded gun in a car in MD unles you have a W & C permit.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Understood, but MSP can charge you with a violation of the statute in the DNR Article as easily as DNR can. That's all I was pointing out.

Understood, just saying, in this particular case, there were multiple charges filed by MSP against the defendant, but not the loaded rifle.. they called in a DNR officer to serve that ticket and from what I heard about it, they were out to nail him with anything.. lol

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Yeah, but they have to know what to cite and if its something with a set fine or not etc. If they know who to call and ask, its a done deal.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I can tell you that a round in the magazine of a rifle, not chambered will get you a summons from the DNR, the cops will call them in just for that. I know someone that this happened to. It was a bolt action rifle with a self-contained magazine. It is a DNR violation if there is a round 'in the gun'.

I have heard but not verified that leaving a hunting area and being in close proximity to a road with a cap still in place in a muzzle loader is considered loaded by DNR. I was told it had to do with the proximity to the road.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    With the talk about mandatory minimums for an "illegal" gun (not sure if that's a legal gun carried illegally or a bonafide gun that is stolen/NFA/etc.) I was wondering about the idea of carrying an unloaded gun in one pocket and a loaded magazine in the other pocket and how that would go down.

Illegal firearm ... An oft' questioned term...

For GP... If there is any thing about the firearm which is an illegal condition...
    • reported stolen
    • possessed contrary to law or ordinance
    • parts installed which violate law
    • carried upon or into property where prohibited
    • carried in a manner not lawful
    • carried by prohibited person
    ... etc...

Whether it is of a configuration, reported stolen, carried or in any way possessed contrary to actual law, statue or ordinance...
    That firearm may be called an "illegal firearm".

It is simply... any firearm which violates or has been used in any violation of law...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    With the talk about mandatory minimums for an "illegal" gun (not sure if that's a legal gun carried illegally or a bonafide gun that is stolen/NFA/etc.) I was wondering about the idea of carrying an unloaded gun in one pocket and a loaded magazine in the other pocket and how that would go down.

That probably goes down as a legal gun being carried illegally. The gun is right and you're wrong :)

Is that a .380 mag in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    To answer the original question there is no statutory definition of what is a 'loaded firearm' in Maryland. I have argued unsucessfully many times to judges (and three times in front of juries) that loaded requires a round in the chamber. No judges nor none of the juries have ever accepted that definition. There is also no case law in Maryland that defines "loaded" as well. In all of these instances the firearm had a loaded magazine inserted, but nothing in the chamber.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    To answer the original question there is no statutory definition of what is a 'loaded firearm' in Maryland. I have argued unsucessfully many times to judges (and three times in front of juries) that loaded requires a round in the chamber. No judges nor none of the juries have ever accepted that definition. There is also no case law in Maryland that defines "loaded" as well. In all of these instances the firearm had a loaded magazine inserted, but nothing in the chamber.

Thank you for this.

Have you encountered cases with a loaded mag carried or transported separate from firearm? In same vehicle say. If so what were the judgements?

stm

Mar 9, 2012
    I know this is a discussion of MD law, but the lack of a definition of "loaded" sounds like our law here in Illinois. Fortunately, ISP put out an educational pamphlet several years ago that stated:

... the location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition in loaded magazines is not regulated so long as the firearm is transported lawfully...

They go on to state that the firearm must be unloaded, ie no ammunition in the chamber or cylinder and no loaded magazine can be inserted in the firearm. It is legal to transport a fully loaded magazine next to - but not in - the firearm, enclosed in a case.

I wish you guys had clearer statutes, or at least guidance from MSP or your AG that you could rely upon.

BTW, I really enjoy visiting this site (almost every day). The membership here seems very knowledgeable and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom