• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    When does the Involuntary Commitment Process in Maryland trigger Federal 18 and MS Law clauses on no firearm ownership for someone "Committed to a mental institution."

Key question, do you have to have a hearing or not?

Any good 2nd amendment lawyers in the state?

Commitment comes after the 72 evaluation. the reason for the 72 hour evaluation is to make sure it is the right decision.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I believe the whole thing will be thrown out. He agreed to go to the hospital, and it was a bait and switch. you can let some one agree to go, then commit them when they refuses to strip naked.

It's not a bait and switch. If there is reasonable suspicion that a person has a serious mental disorder and they may be a danger to themselves or others, they are going to the hospital. Often people are given the option of signing themselves in voluntarily. It is easier on them because they do not have to be involuntarily committed. It takes a lot to get into this position. It's not like people are watching TV have a Slurpee and all of a sudden they are dragged off to a mental institution.
    1) Never let police into your home without a warrant, no offense.
    2) Never let a firearm out of your control without a warrant.
    3) Never volunteer to go with the police about a legal matter without a lawyer.
    4) Never voluntarily submit to a mental evaluation without a lawyer.

This goes to show that people are to trusting in the system. Unfortunately the time has passed when you can go with the premise of things being ok simply because you have nothing to hide. We live in a world/state that doesn't care who is right and who is wrong.

Of course, if there is an Emergency Petition, they are going. Period. There is no option. The more reasonable you show yourself to be, the more likely you will be found to be OK. Again, people do not get into this position without something big having happened and somebody being concerned enough to get an EP. If you think someone is getting the EP to be vindictive, you can file charges later.
    Commitment comes after the 72 evaluation. the reason for the 72 hour evaluation is to make sure it is the right decision.

This.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Bottom line, if he was not committed for greater then 29 days he's not prohibited in Maryland. He will not loose his right to posses firearms. He can go and get his firearms from the local department that took possession of his firearms. sounds like your friend needs to get some help or make some changes. These things don't just "happen" to people, he needs to either change the people around him, or take a serious inventory of his mental health. MDS a place to ask tin foil hatters questions about guns and receive bad advice.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Bottom line, if he was not committed for greater then 29 days he's not prohibited in Maryland. He will not loose his right to posses firearms. He can go and get his firearms from the local department that took possession of his firearms. sounds like your friend needs to get some help or make some changes. These things don't just "happen" to people, he needs to either change the people around him, or take a serious inventory of his mental health. MDS a place to ask tin foil hatters questions about guns and receive bad advice.
    I believe this is incorrect. I think that this applies to voluntary commitment. Involuntary triggers immediately

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I believe this is incorrect. I think that this applies to voluntary commitment. Involuntary triggers immediately Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes. If you are involuntarily committed, it is immediate. 30 days for a voluntary admission.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Even if it stands and he is denied he can still petition the state to restore his rights if he is OK now. My BIL was the first one in Maryland to do this after an involuntary commitment as a juvenile. Had to show he was a "good guy" and get a doc to sign of that he was sane.

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012

They won't give them back.

Salisbury PD has been sitting on what was, at the time, my entire collection. They still have them, it has been years. Since the event (voluntary commitment under 72 hours, when a well intentioned but naive friend thought I was in a worse place than I was) I've bought regulated and non-regulated firearms. SPD refuses to release my property without a "letter from a doctor", despite receiving a copy of my release paperwork with "no danger to self/others".

Just because a system is in place doesn't mean it works.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    They won't give them back.

Salisbury PD has been sitting on what was, at the time, my entire collection. They still have them, it has been years. Since the event (voluntary commitment under 72 hours, when a well intentioned but naive friend thought I was in a worse place than I was) I've bought regulated and non-regulated firearms. SPD refuses to release my property without a "letter from a doctor", despite receiving a copy of my release paperwork with "no danger to self/others".

Just because a system is in place doesn't mean it works.

Have you went to court to get them back?

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    Have you went to court to get them back?

I don't really know anything about stuff like that. I also am not sure of how much it would cost, but am pretty confident I don't have the kind of money I would need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom