Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 13th, 2019, 09:29 AM #1

Primer opinions

I want to load some .357 mag rounds but I don't have any small pistol magnum primers, only small or large pistol primers. The Lyman manual calls for small magnum pistol primers. I'm loading 158g copper played bullets and Bullseye powder. Would a small pistol primer work? Would I need to adjust the amount of powder? Should I just wait until I get the right primers?
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 10:52 AM #2

Bullseye does Not require magnum primers . Bullseye is the sterotypical powder that is easy to ignite .

Yeah, yeah , we bombard everyone with a zillion disclaimers to follow all reloading data Exactly . And almost always that's a good thing .

But in this instance of Bullseye, using the actually proper standard primer instead of the misapplied magnum will still give perfect ignition , and slightly lower pressures .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:00 AM #3

Great. Thanks for the info.
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:09 AM #4

Bullseye will work but isn't really a good powder for .357. If you are loading 158gn bullets, you are limited to 4.8 gns which will give you a little less than 1000 fps. However, due to the large case volume, ignition will be erratic with standard primers. You can try tilting the barrel up after each shot to put the powder closer to the primer for better consistency.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:39 AM #5

I didn't go there before , but what is your handloading goal for Bullseye & .357 ?

Maximum level Magnum loads ?
Absolute minimum mouse fart loads ?
" Standard, recreational " loads, at levels of .38 spl , or a little above ?

For first , Bullseye isn't best choice . Will max out on pressure before typical Magnum velocities are reached , and the pressure curves are spiking steeply as approaching max . ( If you want full power loads for .357 , we can pontificate at length . Start a thread on that, and it will get kicked around for multiple pages .)

For second , avoid plated or jacketed bullets , and use cast instead . And probably lighter than 158 for absolute minimum recoil .( But bullseye is suitable powder.)

For third , Bullseye will work fine
Old January 13th, 2019, 02:05 PM #6
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Look in several manuals and you will find different things specified, in Modern Reloading by Richard Lee it says "small pistol primers". But like Bigfoot says it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

But once you work up your safe load if you decide to change anything like your primer then go back and re work up a new load for the new mix of components.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 04:00 PM #7

With certain slow powders , in magnum revolvers , there are legitimate differences of opinion of best primer. ( Think Blue Dot and 2400 , and 4227 for classic examples )

More frequently , a data provider will simplify things by arbitrarily standardizing primers either for an entire cal , or for a particular powder , regardless of specific loading . Such data will be " trusted " , in the context that as tested in their labs, the loads were safe . But they won't necessarily be optimized .

It's a long discussion in itself , but I usually come down on the side of standard primers when could go either way .
Old January 13th, 2019, 10:21 PM #8

Third choice. Plinking at the range. I have two .357 cal rifles, a Marlin 1894 and a Ruger 77/357 that are just range guns. Bullseye is the only powder I've ever used for pistol caliber loads. I haven't been loading that long so my experience is limited. The only .357 pistol that I have is a Ruger SP 101 2 1/2" barrel that I rarely take to the range. It is not fun to shoot, especially with.357 ammo.
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:40 PM #9

Disclaimer, Disclaimer, etc, etc .

5.0gr of Bullseye, std primer , your bullets , in .357 cases, will give aprox same velocity as a 158gr .38spl +P . Is that a useful neighborhood that you were thinking ? Should be a comfortable load for your SP101 .
Old January 22nd, 2019, 01:02 PM #10

If you have 2400 it does not require magnum primers and gives excellent results with most bullet weights. The big ass fireball is a bonus!

Oops missed the bullseye part. You're gonna have to change bullets or powder. A full wadcutter will work with Bullseye in a mag case with small primer. Volume/ignition is not a problem due to the space taken up by the bullet.

Been reloading for 45 years. I used to buy some Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 and was good to go. Those were about the only options with the exception of some European powder makers. I'm sure there were a few by Hodgdon and maybe Winchester. There are just so many choices in terms of powders today you can go crazy or broke figuring out what to do.
Gunner220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading