• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    I am looking for a right side carry, rounds facing rear kydex mag carrier with 1.5” belt loop attachments. I shoot left-handed. Looking to put gen 2 and gen 3 5.56 pmags into it.

I really don’t think this is an unreasonable ask, but I’ve struck out online after looking for a fair amount of time.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's three good options:
    Blade-Tech Signature Series AR mag carrier w/ TekLok (easiest to put on/off)
    HSGI Tacos w/ belt mount (most flexible in terms of what mags you can carry)
    ESSTAC Kywis w/ ESSTAC belt loops (excellent retention with no snaggy bits)

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Thanks all. I hadn’t even considered anything other than kydex, which in hindsight seems silly. I’m between the blade-tech erwos recommended and one of the tacos. I’ll try to remember to update this once I decide and test it out. Thanks again.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I ran the TACOs at a carbine class a couple of years ago. Worked great.

And I switched which direction I carried the mags. I started with the bullets forward (left side), so when I grabbed them, my index finger was on the front of the mag, like most do for pistol mags in USPSA.

That does not work that will with an AR. So I switched to bullets backwards to wrap my hand around the bottom of the mag. Worked well.

TACOs handled both directions.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have several older BladeTech AR mag carriers (and pistol holsters) with the fixed/built-in belt loop that I really like. They lie close to my side, fit the belts closely and have very little movement. I am not at all a fan of the TechLock mount system and find that they add sideways bulk to my pistol holsters and aren't as stable on the belt.

I have TACOs on vests and like them fine, but prefer more of the mag body exposed for games.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, Tek-Lok definitely has a couple disadvantages, but if you're like me and switching gear around, it's very handy. IMHO, a really good design change for it would be some mechanism to incorporate a set screw so you can lock it to your belt a little more tightly if it's going to be there more long-term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom