• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I bought a beautiful m38 about a month or so ago which I have not test fired yet . Last night I tried inserting a 7.62x 54R bullet in the muzzle and noticed that there is a waaay big gap between the ammo and the bore. Would I assume that this barrel is shut? Looking at the muzzle and the bullet in it, the bore size look like 38. The bullet and the case neck goes all the way in smoothly. It does not look good,,,right?:sad20:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I haven't seen an M38 that wasn't counterbored, although I'm sure they exist... somewhere...

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I bought a beautiful m38 about a month or so ago which I have not test fired yet . Last night I tried inserting a 7.62x 54R bullet in the muzzle and noticed that there is a waaay big gap between the ammo and the bore. Would I assume that this barrel is shut? Looking at the muzzle and the bullet in it, the bore size look like 38. The bullet and the case neck goes all the way in smoothly. It does not look good,,,right?:sad20:

Can you include a pic? I"m interested to see what its looks like, I've never seen that

thanks!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Probably counterbored. I've never seen an M38 that was shot out. Not to say they don't exist, of course. Headspace gauge still wouldn't hurt, in my opinion. Better safe than sorry.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Here is the pics of my counterbored M38 next to the Norinco SKS for comparison. Both are 7.62.

7.62.jpg

S1050125.jpg

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Nice pics. In the future you can always take a toothpick and push it down the interior side of the muzzle and be able to feel the ridge where the "new" crown is.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    When the lands and grooves are worn out at the end of the barrel, rather than cutting and recrowning the barrel (due to the proximity of the front site), you bore an oversize hole until you reach good barrel. This improves accuracy without changing the site radius. the US did it as well, particularly with m1 carbines, although I have been fortunate enough not to run across any.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    When the lands and grooves are worn out at the end of the barrel, rather than cutting and recrowning the barrel (due to the proximity of the front site), you bore an oversize hole until you reach good barrel. This improves accuracy without changing the site radius. the US did it as well, particularly with m1 carbines, although I have been fortunate enough not to run across any.

Thank you!! I was wondering myself

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

cool...learned something new!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    BlueFin,
    Nice pics.
    One other minor but important point: Make sure you don't get any cosmoline residue on Mrs. BlueFin's nice clean bedspread. If there is a Mrs., they don't seem to like that much...:banghead:
    :innocent0

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    BlueFin,
    Nice pics.
    One other minor but important point: Make sure you don't get any cosmoline residue on Mrs. BlueFin's nice clean bedspread. If there is a Mrs., they don't seem to like that much...:banghead:
    :innocent0

Yep,,she called my attention:o. Feel much better now about my m38.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom