Note to Self: "Change Your Tumbler Media More Often"!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    We all get pulled in a zillion different directions. Reloading chores are always on my agenda. But, when one reloads over 30 different calibers (often in small batches) and scrounges a bunch of range brass: a processing bottleneck often occurs at the tumbler. No cases make it to my presses without being tumbled and inspected.

Changing the media in my tumbler usually ranks in the bottom 3% on my "To-Do" list. Since the old walnut media was so nasty-ass, today I got "a Round-Tuit". The stuff I dumped was yucky sh!t. Honestly, I do not know how long that crap has been in my tumbler. :banghead:

Not to my surprise, with fresh media and some Flitz it only took 20 minutes to clean a big batch of .40 cases. It took over 2 hours last week to clean any batch. Dayum! I'm thinkin' media is prob'ly cheaper than 'lectricity. ;)

My lesson is learned. I WILL change my tumbler media a LOT more often!

:)

Attachments

• Brass to be Tumbled Capture.jpg
      Brass to be Tumbled Capture.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 806
    • Old media in trash Capture.jpg
      Old media in trash Capture.jpg
      37.3 KB · Views: 739
    • New Media in Tumb;er Capture.jpg
      New Media in Tumb;er Capture.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 787

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It happens... bet it's on the bottom 3% of everyone else's reloading chore list as well... :lol2:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have 2 tumblers...one I use one to clean up before sizing and one to get the lube off. The media that gets brass before sizing gets the dirtiest and I rotate accordingly. I just noticed today that I need to switch timeout lol

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I do as well, but my first tumbler is a wet tumble, sst pins need no replacement. Recently added a vib tumbler to remove the little bit of lube I use, so that media should last me quite a while. ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It happens... bet it's on the bottom 3% of everyone else's reloading chore list as well... :lol2:

Not mine. I bought 10 lbs. of corncob a while back and can't wait to use it up. I like walnut more better, but I'm determined to use up the corncob first.:rolleyes:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    There is walnut cat litter available at most pet stores. Quite cheap, so no reason not to change it frequently.

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    Petco sells crushed walnut shells as reptile bedding. That's where I've picked mine up locally.
    I'm definitely gonna give the dryer sheets a shot, that sounds interesting.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You lost me at .40 cases :)

Those .40's are for my Hi-Point 4095 carbine "Monkey Gun". It eats reloads made with free range cases loaded with wheel weight boolits like candy. And it's never had a cavity.
    :party29:

I have two tumblers, one with walnut for dirty brass, and the other with corn for cleaning off lube

I'm convinced I need a second tumbler as much as I am about the need for fresh media. I've run 6 or 7 batches of cases this afternoon and all have been clean enough to go in the "sort" totes within a half hour.

It's kinda like a vehicle tuneup. After a while you forget how well it worked when it was fresh and new...

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 308 cases 02_28_2016 Capture.jpg
      308 cases 02_28_2016 Capture.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 518

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Lots of guys aren't concerned with dirty brass.

To each their own, but....

Good primer, good powder, good bullet. Time and effort to put together good loads.

Not in me to load good components into dirty and dingy looking brass. Kinda like finding out your blind date is Hillary Clinton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom