• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    okay so in a moment of sheet ignorance and stupidity, i sanded down the front of my stock (remington 700 ks mountain circa 1999) as that was the only part along the barrel that wasn't free floated. accuracy went to total crap and then in reading some, sounds like that was intentionally pressure bedded as that works on lighter profile barrels. so i want to build that back up. anyone know where to get that marine tex or devcon locally (NoVa)? i've never even used JB Weld but is that a viable option? thanks!!!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Any boating/marine supply should have Marine Tex. It comes in grey or white, I always use grey because white just looks stupid ugly on a firearm. I see no reason why JB Weld wouldn't work either.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My experience with bedding is to first, actually determine what sort of problems with the way the rifle is currently bedded are causing problems. You can do this simply with a file card and a properly fitted screw driver that fits your action screws. If you make no determination as to the cause, you do a lot of work needlessly, never correct the problem or cause problems that weren't there in the first place.
    Most wood stocks are prone to some sort of reactionary change due to humidity and temperature because of the way the stock is sealed. This is why a lot of them are found to be bedded rather loosely. This is the obvious advantage to modern materials.
    Adding a modern bedding compound to a wood stock essentially allows the fit to be improved (perfectly) but more importantly to allow the wood to change while the action components are kind of insulated and rigid versus the wood.
    The simplest kind of bedding you can do is "two point bedding" the action sits on two pads at the stock screws to counteract wood compression and usually involves the recoil lug.
    The next is a full action bed which is even better with pillars and even easier to do on a round receiver like you have.
    And the third is a combination of full action and the first few inches of barrel channel. I use up to about two inches on a tapered barrel and just short of the taper on a barrel with a step. Known as three point bedding.
    My guess is that on an older Remington 700 you may need a very small amount of compound once the wood has been fitted properly, the barrel channel and stock mortises have been sealed and the action screws are properly tension-ed or set up in a way that the way they are tightened is fairly repeatable.
    Select the product used as determined by what you have found to be the problem, the reason is that you don't want a bulky material where you only want a skim coat. Bisonite is good for where the possibly of running can be controlled, Acra gel is nice because it can mixed with ground steel particles or aluminum if you want, has a decent flash over time and is mixed 50/50. Marine Tex Devcon, steel bed, and micro bed is good for where large amounts of stock material has been removed.
    I have used wheel bearing grease, Spray on Pam, Spray on mold release and Brownell's release agent combined with spray mold release for where things can get stuck.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    okay so in a moment of sheet ignorance and stupidity, i sanded down the front of my stock (remington 700 ks mountain circa 1999) as that was the only part along the barrel that wasn't free floated. accuracy went to total crap and then in reading some, sounds like that was intentionally pressure bedded as that works on lighter profile barrels. so i want to build that back up. anyone know where to get that marine tex or devcon locally (NoVa)? i've never even used JB Weld but is that a viable option? thanks!!!

I would make a pad out of asphaltum (driveway sealer) mixed with fine hardwood saw dust and have even considered trying that Billy Mays spray on shit for sealing gutters taped off in an oval that only touches the highest point of the round barrel. (vintage rifles)
    Inlet a hardwood square block and then adjust tension with a string under the barrel with a desired weight attached that just falls out when the shot has been made. ( modern wood stocked hunting)
    Use some marine tex/ devcon with a dam to keep it pretty and in the realm of conformity, because if you use bondo and trip and fall down the mountain while your walking out somebody might find it and say hey, WTF? its bondo colored to match with a melted crayon.
    Three point bed your rifle with a bulky compound and it might turn out to be free floated just right. (save the bondo for hiding the gap at the end of the fore-arm) :)

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I put a bead of silicone at the front of the forearm end of a free floating barrel and improved accuracy by 50%. Went from 1" to 1/2". Model 70 Winchester in 22-250

pablo1965

Epistemophilic
    Nov 2, 2016
    Baltimore County
    I'm looking to action bed a 6.5 Compass into a Boyds At-1 adjustable stock. I've seen good and bad videos not just with bedding but loose magazines as well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I found not only does accuracy improve but more importantly consistency. I have a Ruger 77 MK II that would walk 5 - 7 inches in less than 20 rounds in cool weather. Warm weather not so much. Bedding and floating cured that evil. Granted it is a hunting rifle in 30-06 but I prefer the rifle shooting where it is looking.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Be warned that there are some extremely hack bedding how to videos on youtube.

I experimented with casting sand to block off portions where I didn't want compound. It worked fantastically well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom