• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Hey all,

I'm on a small farm with some hogs and chickens and we've had a few coyote sightings this winter, always at night. My question to you is what regulations do I face in MD with night hunting? Thanks in advance.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hey all,

I'm on a small farm with some hogs and chickens and we've had a few coyote sightings this winter, always at night. My question to you is what regulations do I face in MD with night hunting? Thanks in advance.

Its on the DNR site, pretty sure its Oct-March

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    My boys and i just got back from a night hunt . The biggest regulation , that most hunters don't realize is you need a furbearer stamp . Once you have that your good to go . One issue i always address in a certain area i hunt is to make nearby residents aware of your pressence . More than once someone has called the DNR to report gunshots or lights after dark . Im sure a quick call to the local NRP or DNR will solve any issues of that tho ...

My 2 cents of advice tho if your new to calling coyotes at night . This time of year i will get more action using a female howl or an agressive male call . Their mating season is starting and there getting used to the screaming rabbit . We did call in a yote this evening with a gray fox distress but he winded us before my boy could get on him .
    as for lights , i've only used a green led light . Some say it will spook animals and to use red . i can say i've had aprox 20 animals in the green light and not one reacted to it . Good luck !

justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Thanks everyone.

I was under the impression that you don't need a furbearer permit if your hunting on your property as a means of protecting livestock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks everyone.

I was under the impression that you don't need a furbearer permit if your hunting on your property as a means of protecting livestock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes, I think you're correct and that no hunting license is required on your own property but MD might still require certification for completion of a hunter's safety course.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I think you still need the stamp

A Furbearer Permit is not required to hunt or trap a fur-bearing mammal if: •A person possesses a valid Wildlife Control Cooperator Permit and is engaging in the control of fur-bearing mammals in accordance with the terms and conditions of the permit. •A landowner possesses a Landowner Wildlife Damage Control Permit. •A Furbearer Permit is also not required for: »A landowner to destroy a muskrat that is damaging an embankment or impoundment. »A landowner to hunt or trap a coyote, fox or skunk that is damaging or destroying the personal or real property of the landowner on their land. »The owner of a marsh or the owner’s employees to hunt any raccoon which destroys a muskrat or its home in a marsh area of the state. »A landowner or the landowner’s agent to set or use traps or similar devices at any time to trap raccoons or opossums which are damaging property

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    A Furbearer Permit is also not required for:...A landowner to hunt or trap a coyote, fox or skunk that is damaging or destroying the personal or real property of the landowner on their land.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    Sorry to dredge up and old post, but.....

What is the smallest caliber to safely dispense of a Coyote. I'm not a hunter, but we've had a Coyote trolling my land that's not spooked as easily as I would expect and I have pets to protect. Everything I currently own is more suited for human enemies.

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

What is the smallest caliber to safely dispense of a Coyote. I'm not a hunter, but we've had a Coyote trolling my land that's not spooked as easily as I would expect and I have pets to protect. Everything I currently own is more suited for human enemies.

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

I know people who have used .22 Win Mag and .17 HMR,not sure if it's their go-to or just used on occasion.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

While not cheap, if you have something in .223 you could look at the Controlled Chaos round from Underwood. The bullet was designed for an animal control agency. It's $1.28 per round but in theory, it shouldn't require any follow-up shots.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...grain-controlled-chaos?variant=18785718894649

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    While not cheap, if you have something in .223 you could look at the Controlled Chaos round from Underwood. The bullet was designed for an animal control agency. It's $1.28 per round but in theory, it shouldn't require any follow-up shots.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...grain-controlled-chaos?variant=18785718894649

Really anything in .223 should be fine. Ideally a soft point or tipped round. Coyotes, even coywolves aren’t that big.

As a MINIMUM I’d say a CCI 22lr Velocitor and good shot placement. You are talking about a roughly 40lb animal (generally speaking)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom