• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g8tr

Mar 19, 2013
    Balto Co.
    The stupidity in Annapolis has me thinking about a rifle purchase. Given that I already own 2 rifles in 5.56 and one in 5.45, I’m debating the wisdom of adding yet another caliber to have to stock up vs getting a pistol-caliber carbine in a caliber I already stock (like 9mm or .45 ACP). If I was to add another caliber, I was thinking either .308, .300 blk, or 7.62x39. Else, it would likely be a CZ Scorpion in 9mm.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    g8tr

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I prefer 9mm AR’s for a range toy over 556 AR’s any day. Light recoil, cheap ammo that I already stock and easy to suppress. Plus the kids and wife like it due to minimal recoil and muzzle blast.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I chose .300 Blk because I didn't want to stock up on 7.62x39. Similar ballistics but the .300 Blk can use the same magazines and bolt as 5.56. It is a little more expensive than 7.62x39 but I consider it more of a niche caliber anyway.

A 9mm AR upper is in my future but it probably won't get shot much. Having two complete ARs in .40 S&W and .357 SIG, to go with most of my handguns covers my bases, IMO for the AR PCC.

Magazines have been a big factor driving my choices. Magpul and Glock mags have been plentiful and affordable as long as I am patient waiting on good deals.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    The CZ Scorpion Evo is awesome and is highly recommended. Only downside is getting mags for it vs using Glock mags for AR 9mm uppers. I don't have a Glock, so when I had the exact same choice to make I got the CZ.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    I personally love my Ruger PC9. I can use Glock mags for it, which I already have. I’ve been thinking of a Springfield M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor (I believe it’s still legal in MD).

g8tr

Mar 19, 2013
    Balto Co.
    I’ve spent the last week emailing and calling them, and it’s so frustrating dealing with them. Hard to remain optimistic when you talk to them...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The new Ruger carbines are a lot of fun. Supply has caught up some, too.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    AR based PCCs are awesome primarily because they can do things a rifle cal can't, shoot them at handgun ranges, steel targets at close range, PCC matches, etc. They are cheap to feed, recoil can be a little lighter, and are sufficiently accurate out to 200 yards. There are a few companies that make dedicated platforms, or a few adapter mag blocks for Colt or GLOCK mags. Main issues are Colt mags are tempermental, and GLOCK based builds need alternate mag-releases and few have functional bolt catches. I really like my FM products GLOCK mag lower, they are cheap, the LRBHO works flawlessly, the mag release is huge, the magwell has a nice big bevel, and it functions great. Most every other dedicated lower took some fitting and fiddling to get it to work. Don't have one, but have heard good things about the Stern defense GLOCK mag block, costs a little more than a dedicated lower, but you can either slap it in an existing AR15, or just buy a standard mil-spec(or close to it) lower, and convert it easily.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Buy a PCC and also buy a 300 BLK upper to use on one of your existing rifles. I have two 300 BLK uppers that share a lower and they are fun to shoot (one is my home defense AR setup), but I'm buying a PCC specifically so I can stay at the range longer. It's easier to spend a few hours when your ammo is $0.15 per round instead of $0.50 per round.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    AR based PCCs are awesome primarily because they can do things a rifle cal can't, shoot them at handgun ranges, steel targets at close range, PCC matches, etc. They are cheap to feed, recoil can be a little lighter, and are sufficiently accurate out to 200 yards. There are a few companies that make dedicated platforms, or a few adapter mag blocks for Colt or GLOCK mags. Main issues are Colt mags are tempermental, and GLOCK based builds need alternate mag-releases and few have functional bolt catches. I really like my FM products GLOCK mag lower, they are cheap, the LRBHO works flawlessly, the mag release is huge, the magwell has a nice big bevel, and it functions great. Most every other dedicated lower took some fitting and fiddling to get it to work. Don't have one, but have heard good things about the Stern defense GLOCK mag block, costs a little more than a dedicated lower, but you can either slap it in an existing AR15, or just buy a standard mil-spec(or close to it) lower, and convert it easily.

I’ve used the Stern Defense mag blocks quite a bit and can say they are top notch. Its the only block to buy.

Sirex