• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    First want to start by saying if this is in the wrong section, I apologize, didn't see a section better suited than black powder.

That being said I found a Lantakas style cannon in a house last year and wondering what the value of it might be and if there is much a market for them? Stupid question but are there any restrictions on these?

It is brass I believe, It looks as if the trunnions have been removed. As for operational ability I have yet to try to blow myself up with it.

Thoughts on value? Marketability?

Attachments

• cannon4.jpg
      cannon4.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 206
    • cannon5.jpg
      cannon5.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 201
    • cannon2.jpg
      cannon2.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 206

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    NEAT!
    I bet someone thought it was a candle holder at some point.
    I don't know much about cannons, but does the fuse hole look like it goes all the way in or is it corroded?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Have you tried sticking a rod down the bore to see if there is a charge in it? If the rod does not go all the way to the touch hole be very careful. Some black powder guns are still loaded and even after a century or more black powder can remain hazardous, it is classed as an explosive and is a compound of three separate ingredients and as long as those ingredients are present it is dangerous.

It is certainly marketable as a decoration if nothing else. I suspect Googl is your friend as to value and if you can identify specifically what it is and where and when it was made you will be in a stronger position for negotiations. I'll offer the scrap brass price for it as it sits and will come pick it up no need to Google anything.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have seen a few of these for sale. As far as I am aware they are legal to transfer (just like any black-powder muzzle loader). I think these typically range from 2 - 5 K depending on the condition and size. Yours looks like a decent size, but poor condition. I'd guess value on the lower end of the scale, but I'm not an expert. Probably worth a bit of research. Very cool.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I have seen a few of these for sale. As far as I am aware they are legal to transfer (just like any black-powder muzzle loader). I think these typically range from 2 - 5 K depending on the condition and size. Yours looks like a decent size, but poor condition. I'd guess value on the lower end of the scale, but I'm not an expert. Probably worth a bit of research. Very cool.

I found a website that sells them, e-mailed them with pictures and questions but no response. I believe your pricing is close to correct for good condition cannons.

I'll have to check the bore again to see if the depth goes to the fuse.

More I think about it I am considering what it would take to have it restored to be a furniture piece if nothing else.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Start with a good soap and water cleaning with a soft bristle scrub brush get any dirt off without removing the patina. Then assess what you find. If you want it as a display piece you will want to replace the swivel probably the original was cast brass/bronze like the gun but a reproduction would be expensive. You might be able to use a forged iron swivel which would be less expensive, if you lean that way PM me and depending on where you are I might know a blacksmith to refer you to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom