• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I've been using Rage broadheads for the last several years in my compound. I've had good luck with them, and will continue to use them until they give me reason not to.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Muzzy 3 blade, 100 grain. I've spent a lot of money trying others, but always come back to Muzzy. Never tried a mechanical due to the stories I've heard re: blades not deploying properly.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    muzzy, fixed 3 blade in 100 or 125 gr depending on if using the compound or crossbow, also used thunderheads

my muzzy's have blown thru shoulders and broken opposite leg bones at close range with little problem.

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    Favorite - Any three blade fixed head made by Wasp. Awesome heads that always make an amazing blood trail.
    Second Favorite - Magnus stingers. I try to shoot bucks with these. Easier hole to repair for the taxi compared to a three blade or expandable.
    Third Favorite - Standard three blade muzzy 100 grain. Cheap and get the job done.
    Critter getters - Fake rage heads bought off ebay.

I have all four in my quiver lol. Never know when you're going to need all six arrows

May 13, 2005
    muzzy, fixed 3 blade in 100 or 125 gr depending on if using the compound or crossbow, also used thunderheads

my muzzy's have blown thru shoulders and broken opposite leg bones at close range with little problem.

Second on the Thunderheads. Been using them for decades with excellent results.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Muzzy 3 blade, 100 grain. I've spent a lot of money trying others, but always come back to Muzzy. Never tried a mechanical due to the stories I've heard re: blades not deploying properly.
    the same only I did try rage. Never again. Muzzy 100 3 blade is my choice.

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    the same only I did try rage. Never again. Muzzy 100 3 blade is my choice.

I had poor performance with Rage. Good shots but with such a large impact due to the blade angle and large cutting diameter the deer ran forever. On the opposite side of the spectrum, deer I've shot with Magnus Stingers didn't know what happened, bounded twice, stopped to look around, and then just collapsed.

The completely split ferrule on the rage is a poor design as well. I put one through the ribs on a doe last year and it barely went into the dirt after passing through. Thing was so bent it wasn't funny. I wouldn't trust it on a solid bone hit. At least with a good fixed head you have a chance of busting through a bone unlike mechanical heads. Just my experience

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    I use Reaper mechanicals They've worked so far with no issues.

I always had good luck with reapers. Put one through the scapula last year of my piebald and it went clean down to the opposite side elbow. It was a pretty steep shot angle. Great heads if you are looking for a mechanical. I alos like how they hold shut mechanically compared to bands or cups.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Mechanicals are far too unreliable. I think that is a weak link. I use the slick trick magnums 100 grain The fly pretty straight and have a good amount of penetration

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I've lost 2 does this year with 125g Rage from a crossbow. Solid hits both time. I'm blaming myself before the Rages, but I'm going to try something different.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I've lost 2 does this year with 125g Rage from a crossbow. Solid hits both time. I'm blaming myself before the Rages, but I'm going to try something different.

Best of both worlds:

http://slasharrows.com/products/package-of-3-slash-hunting-carbon-crossbolts-2-are-insetblade

bolt_full_length_3_arrows_white.jpg

I have been using these for my vertical bow for years, the crossbow bolts are a new product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom