• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have used Bullseye for .45 ACP and .38 SPL and while a little dirty I am please with the results.

I have 2lbs of Bullseye which can load a TON of pistol rounds.

Here comes my questions:
    I just recently got a SA XD in .40 S&W.
    I will be getting reloading dies for Christmas...
    Has anyone ever used Bullseye for loading 180 grain rounds for .40 S&W?

I would like to standardize on one pistol powder if I could.
    If that is not the best thing to do other powder recommendations would be welcomed!

Thanks!
    Chris

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Check out the Alliant website. They have receipes that you can download for Bullseye powder.

I have been to their web site. I was looking for personal experience. In the short time I have been reloading, I have learned that just because the manufacturer says you can, doesn't mean it is the best option for you.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    If you want to push the bullet faster than the sound barrier, you may want to try something else. Bullseye powder is going to limit the velocity a little bit. I'd see how you like bullseye with the S&W 40. If it feels to wimpy, switch powders. For target shooting you may not care about breaking the sound barrier.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I use it for light loads, and it works well, very accurate with reduced loads.

loading a 180gr Rainier FP over 4gr of bullseye is the load I shoot the most out of my XD(M), it functions with the factory recoil spring, and is very soft shooting and economical load. It can be turned up a good bit, but for monster loads, other powders give a lot more velocity.

I found this load like you, I already have bullseye for 38, 357, 45colt and 45ACP, and couldn't find the hs-6 I normally used for 40/9mm/38 super, so I just used what I had

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    Bullseye can be used in any of the semiauto pistol round. I used it in many calibers, including the 40. It measures good, and burns fast, which means smaller and consistent muzzle pressure, therefore, good accuracy.

Among its drawbacks are dirtiness and smoke (does not matter if you shoot outdoors). Also, as said above, you may not have the top bullet speed. As a side effect of the low muzzle pressure, muzzle brakes are not that effective with the bullseye.

BTW, 2lbs of the Bullseye are good only for 90 lbs of 180 grain bullets, provided that you load a round with 4 grains of the bullseye. It is way less than a ton.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Just wanted to say Thank to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I loaded up 100 rounds today with 180 gr. Rainier bullets and Bullseye powder. I had 5 separate loads from 4.0 to 5.0 incresing in .25 increments.

I took it to the range this afternoon and shoveled out 2 targets.
    Alucard's load was by far the best. Best grouping and most accurate.
    I really apprciate the info! Thanks again!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom