• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattyrayb

Feb 23, 2010
    waldorf
    Not to brag but I won the lottery. Pretty excited. Been entering for several years now.

I'm in southern MD so I can't exactly scout western MD. Does anyone have a recommendation for a guide, outfitter, private land to rent, etc.? If not, how about a tip on good public land. PMs welcome if you don't want to make it public knowledge.

Thanks.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    Greenridge Forest. I have experience hunting off mv smith road exit. Get off the exit and head south on to a dirt road follow it a little bit and hunt on the left its all public on the left. the right side of the road down to the creek is private (Guy I use to work with). I have seen plenty of bear in those woods.

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm also one of the chosen few winners. This will be my first time going out for bear and only my second time hunting in general. I think this is my 3rd or 4th year entering the lottery. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I'm also one of the chosen few winners. This will be my first time going out for bear and only my second time hunting in general. I think this is my 3rd or 4th year entering the lottery. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Get a good skinning knife {Havalon?}, cloth meat bag, ground pepper {keeps the flies away}, deer cart --- if needed {500 lb rated --- I have one}, co-permittees {I'm available:D} and watch bear skinning videos.

I drew a Maryland bear permit a couple of years ago --- Hunted Greenridge State Forest location, where a 500 pound bruin was encountered by a couple of deer hunters about 10 years ago, but all we saw were bear tracks and scat by a stream bed --- With me {as a guest} and my co-permittee {hunting club member} hunted out of a private hunting club cabin {sleeping bunks for 20 hunters/fishermen, with a large kitchen & living room}, located in the middle of Greenridge State Forest.

My total live bear sightings in Greenridge SF: 2, including 1 dug out yellow jackets nest

Good luck...

Erno

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

If its only your second time hunting I would take someone that has several years of hunting under their belt. Dressing out a bear solo could be a challenge, but I'd be more concerned about getting the bear out of the woods.

Last year when I hunted bear in MD I looked around and realized that getting a bear out of there would not be easy. The land owner had a huge winch that he used for getting the bears out of the ravines. It was an eye opener!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll throw this out there; If you are fortunate enough to put your tag on a bear, remember this-bear meat, poorly cooked, is the #1 cause of trichinosis in the US. You MUST cook bear meat thoroughly.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If its only your second time hunting I would take someone that has several years of hunting under their belt. Dressing out a bear solo could be a challenge, but I'd be more concerned about getting the bear out of the woods.

Last year when I hunted bear in MD I looked around and realized that getting a bear out of there would not be easy. The land owner had a huge winch that he used for getting the bears out of the ravines. It was an eye opener!

Good call. That is something that a lot of hunters don't think of. A bear doesn't drag as easy out of the woods like a deer. Plus you want to be careful if you are going to use the fur.

mattyrayb

Feb 23, 2010
    waldorf
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I've been hunting for several years now so I know hunting basics but I still welcome anymore advice, especially on this topic.

Billy, thanks for the area hint. I'm hoping to at least get up there the day before to search the area.

For those who've gone before, do you recommend still or stand hunting and is that method consistent with your deer hunting style? Keep in mind I typically stand hunt.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I'll throw this out there; If you are fortunate enough to put your tag on a bear, remember this-bear meat, poorly cooked, is the #1 cause of trichinosis in the US. You MUST cook bear meat thoroughly.

Im not sure where I read this,but you can have the meat tested.If it comes back negative for trichinosis you can cook the meat as rare as you like it.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Just my opinion but if it's your second time hunting and you would like to harvest a bear....book a hunt with an outfitter. Not cheap but will be a huge weight off your shoulders in the event you shoot/kill one. I've been hunting for 16 years all different species and I would not want to tackle the responsibility of a bear on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom