• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 3, 2017
    I'm part way through gathering documentation for a wear and carry permit. One of the requirements on the application is 10 cash receipts. My trainer is not an expert on the process outside of whatever his students have reported. He explained this is to show I have handled cash transactions. This can be a receipt for cash spent on goods and services.

But, how can I show I received cash for my business services? I have invoices and I can note the customer paid in cash, but it's not exactly hard evidence. Will MSP dispute these documents?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    That's what I get for sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. I don't know anything about the requirements for w&c permit, it just seemed logical. I will now go sit in the corner and learn.

Apr 3, 2017
    Don't give them any receipts, it is not required by law. Let them deny you and then go to the review board, the review board will give you a permit

That's a new concept. The application states necessity for either business purposes (show proof of such) or open threats (documented death threats or violence). Under what provision will the board grant me a permit? Will it be restricted? Has anyone done it this way?

Apr 3, 2017
    You must be new here... look in the HGPRB threads.

Care to point me to a specific thread or poster that discusses this aspect? Upon reading the Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board Reference Guide, it sounds like taking the business owner route will grease the wheels. Otherwise, prepare for a lengthly battle. I just want my permit and I'm a business owner. I'm not looking to fight the powers that be.

If you have some insight to my cash questions, that'd be helpful, too. Thanks.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I'm part way through gathering documentation for a wear and carry permit. One of the requirements on the application is 10 cash receipts. My trainer is not an expert on the process outside of whatever his students have reported. He explained this is to show I have handled cash transactions. This can be a receipt for cash spent on goods and services.

But, how can I show I received cash for my business services? I have invoices and I can note the customer paid in cash, but it's not exactly hard evidence. Will MSP dispute these documents?

I went through the process and submitted my bank deposit slips and that's all they required. Cash deposits are not a requirement for a permit. I turned in copies of all my deposits and not a single one was cash.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My permit application was accompanied by three pages of photocopies of multiple ATM deposit receipts. I randomly picked them from several months over the course of a year. I did not note which were cash or check (though a careful look at the copies will show that). During my face-to-face interview, the Trooper I spoke to was making notes, and asked what percentage of those deposits were cash. I told him a low percentage, and he just nodded and moved on. A couple of weeks later, a Trooper from the licensing division asked me for some more documents from my most recent tax return (to show that the income from those businesses was mine), and that was that. Permit issued (with the usual "while conducting business as" restrictions - I've sent in the paperwork to request an HPRB appearance to see if I can get that restriction lifted). At no point did I provide receipts showing money collectd from my customers, or receipts showing my cash expenditures out in the world. I suppose I could have, but as it turned out, it simply wasn't necessary. My application did detail the nature of my work, my regular transportation of expensive equipment, and the 24x7 on-call nature of some of my business activity. There was no need to back up those assertions on paper (though I could have). I don't yet have a date for my HPRB hearing, which I'm sure will be months away - but I'll need to decide if I want to come up with more documentation in advance of that.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    My investigator wanted to see two months of business banking statements showing active transactions, my articles of incorporation, my Schedule C showing the business as real, my wear and carry instructor certificate (in lieu of having been to W&C training), my DD214, two receipts from business purchases, and class rosters (my business is firearm instruction) showing I have real students.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    On my initial application, I also included ten business invoices. It wasn't a big deal for me. It wasn't like any legit business doesn't have tons of that stuff.

Apr 3, 2017
    There is no such requirement for a permit application as a business owner. I suggest you read the application again carefully.

Please see screencap from application. Perhaps I'm mistaken that they don't require items purchased using cash.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 3.55.22 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 3.55.22 PM.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 168
    Apr 3, 2017
    I have an additional question for those who've been through this process.

If I submit invoices, is it known if MSP may contact my customers? I really would prefer to leave the customers out of my business affairs.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Why bother asking the questions if your not gonna take the advice.
    NO and no you don't need all the crap they ask for. They will advise you when they want more. Send the app already...

Sent from the 3rd Rock

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Please see screencap from application. Perhaps I'm mistaken that they don't require items purchased using cash.

That shows a list of possible items which will satisfy their evidentiary requirements. You don't need all of those. Thus the "OR".

I gave them copies of the last 3 months of business checking account statements (with account # blacked out) and copies of 6 recent deposit receipts (all check deposits). I was asked during my in-person interrogation if I deposited cash and I said not much. I guestimated a low percentage in the single digits. My interrogator noted that and stated some cash activity would help smooth over approval with the higher- ups. Didn't seem like a significant factor.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That shows a list of possible items which will satisfy their evidentiary requirements. You don't need all of those. Thus the "OR".

I gave them copies of the last 3 months of business checking account statements (with account # blacked out) and copies of 6 recent deposit receipts (all check deposits). I was asked during my in-person interrogation if I deposited cash and I said not much. I guestimated a low percentage in the single digits. My interrogator noted that and stated some cash activity would help smooth over approval with the higher- ups. Didn't seem like a significant factor.

The whole problem is they're taking what should be an objective review and making it exceedingly subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom