• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What's the law in blasting them on your property. Is there a bear stand your ground law? :)

Yes, it is perfectly legal to blast him on your property. Simply yell, "He's coming right for us!!!!" at the top of your lungs first. I forget the statute, but you should be able to google it easy enough.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    At least 300 pounds maybe more. I shot one in Canada that was 180 and your bear is twice the size of mine. And yea they are good to eat.

I have no idea or reference to judge it, but staring it face to face, I'm 200lbs and this thing was WAY bigger!!!

Nice to see this animal. They can be a pest. I do not believe anyone has died from a bear attack in Maryland since around 1722. Or was it 1673? The :lol2::lol:Second Amendment gives us the Right to Arm Bears.

Biggest gun I have is a .308, need to get a 45-70 now hahaha.

I wonder if MD DNR would be interested in seeing these pics?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You should call your local PETA chapter - tell them there's a starving bear on your property, and ask them will they please come over and feed it?

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    a 308 will be just fine. Our guide said at least a 308 but my cousin used his 270 to kill one on our hunt. and The guide then told us "I guess a 270 would be fine" Go figure.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I really don't wanna shoot it, but if it continues to come back, I will start shooting around it to scare it off. Can't lie and say that I'm not a little leary of walking to my stand with a bow in the dark. Last Monday, my father hunted the stand right near the trail cam, an hour later, this bear walked by.

DNR was interested in the sighting but not pictures.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I really don't wanna shoot it, but if it continues to come back, I will start shooting around it to scare it off. Can't lie and say that I'm not a little leary of walking to my stand with a bow in the dark. Last Monday, my father hunted the stand right near the trail cam, an hour later, this bear walked by.

DNR was interested in the sighting but not pictures.

Well you may want to rethink the open grill Wednesday night thing, I think your guest is waiting his turn to use the grill.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is one man for the job

d2ae253e.jpg

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Speed3

Be careful. A bear killed a pig between Smithsburg & Wolfsville last week. DNR set a trap but I haven't heard anymore on it. Myersville isn't THAT far, could be the same one. You have any close neighbors? He appears ready for his nap but my guess is this isn't the first or only human provided food he's eating.

By all means contact DNR!!! Unless that is, you're considering a SSS solution to the problem.:rolleyes:

That is a BIG bear! At least 300lbs. but your .308 will do nicely if needed.

KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Speed3

Be careful. A bear killed a pig between Smithsburg & Wolfsville last week. DNR set a trap but I haven't heard anymore on it. Myersville isn't THAT far, could be the same one. You have any close neighbors? He appears ready for his nap but my guess is this isn't the first or only human provided food he's eating.

By all means contact DNR!!! Unless that is, you're considering a SSS solution to the problem.:rolleyes:

KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!

Don't keep us posted if you opt for SSS. :innocent0

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Speed3

KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!

No that isn't far at ALL. I reported the sighting to DNR this morning. I just called the local office and he confirmed that the bear did kill a pig out my way a month or so ago. The bear was actually eating the same feed as the pigs 3 or 4 times before he decided to take a bite out of one. Yea...I'm thinking its well over 300lbs but again, I'm not a good reference.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Speed3

KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!

Did you just call the OP a pig?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom