• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have fun with building your own, but by all means, don't be afraid to ask for advice or for someone to walk you thru doing the upper, it's what I'm doing with my build right now. :)

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    Have fun with building your own, but by all means, don't be afraid to ask for advice or for someone to walk you thru doing the upper, it's what I'm doing with my build right now. :)

alright, i will, i've found this forum to be very informative, and helpful, just an over whelming amount of things to try and remember when starting out lol so your building your upper? i was thinking about just buying a completed upper.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If it's your first AR, I'd go ahead and buy a completed one just to get familiar with. Just so the first one is a good experience.

This is my 3rd build, and I'm finally comfortable enough to try and do my own upper - I have someone that's leaps and bounds more knowledgeable/experienced that's agreed to help me out, and that's a great help IMO.

geichel

May 4, 2012
    Perry Hall, Md
    hey i know im a little late here and that youve made your decision, but i just thought id throw my 2 cents in on the m&p sport.... i bought one a few month ago and its been great, i use it strictly for target shooting and i havent had any issues. im well aware that i could have build a better rifle for the same money, but i wanted to get a decent but inexpensive rifle for my first one to decide exactly what i will build in my next one.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    What is it about Palmetto that makes them so reasonably priced but still so highly popular? What are you lacking in a palmetto that you'd get in a BCM upper for instance?

They have minimum staff/overhead, so they can get away with the low prices.

BCM - your paying for quality stuff as well, but your also paying (in a way) for the repuatation they've worked very hard to build up.

This, and Palmetto's customer service absolutely blows. They don't respond to emails, they don't answer the phone, and they can take weeks and even months to ship an item described as in-stock. I have had to dispute charges with my bank before because I've gotten nowhere with their CS. I still order from them on rare occasions, but if it doesn't ship in a timely fashion and they don't answer my emails, I cancel the transaction.

I don't have this problem with JoeBob at all, so I prefer to send him the business. The only uppers I really order from PSA are Dizzy uppers that JB doesn't have.

BCM is fantastic with both their products and Customer service. IMHO I'd rather send them the business if Joebob doesn't have it, and before I turn to PSA.

If it's your first AR, I'd go ahead and buy a completed one just to get familiar with. Just so the first one is a good experience.

This is my 3rd build, and I'm finally comfortable enough to try and do my own upper - I have someone that's leaps and bounds more knowledgeable/experienced that's agreed to help me out, and that's a great help IMO.

Unless you shop the sales, it costs as much to build an upper as it is to buy a complete upper.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Agreed, you have to keep watching for sales or your in the same range as an already assembled upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom