• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    Just looking for opinions on their new ar, as i've been thinking about picking one up. just wondering about the 2 things not included on the rifle and how important they really are as i'm kinda new to guns, the 2 things i'm wondering about is the dust cover and forward assist... is it really needed? also overall opinion of the rifle itself.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Just looking for opinions on their new ar, as i've been thinking about picking one up. just wondering about the 2 things not included on the rifle and how important they really are as i'm kinda new to guns, the 2 things i'm wondering about is the dust cover and forward assist... is it really needed? also overall opinion of the rifle itself.

For not much more money I'd get something chrome-lined (in my opinion this is the biggest drawback to this product). You can build a better rifle yourself for the same price as a ready-made MP-15 Sport. I personally do think the forward assist and dust-cover are worth it. I've rarely had to use my forward assist (like count on my hand rarely), and if it's just filling a range duty role the FA isn't a big deal, same goes for the dust cover. If you ever plan on carrying it around the woods or riding around on a 4-wheeler with your rifle slung over your back like I do, the dust-cover is invaluable. Just my humble opinion.

Apr 15, 2011
    MoCo
    I paid $610 for mine from an IP on this site (The Gun Shop). I doubt you could really build one for this price. If you could, I'm sure it would not come with a lifetime warranty like the Sport. I've put over 1000 rounds through my Sport with out a FTF or FTE. I've never needed a forward assist nor a dust cover, though they do look cool.
    With the money left over, think of what else you can buy: optics, ammo, etc.

I'd invite you to check out: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-rifle/
    It's a great forum, like this one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It could be argued that the FA/DC are not needed, but for my money - I won't own an AR that doesn't have either item.

I revert to the old saying - I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Aside from that, the chrome lining is nice to have, the FA/DC is nice to have - but if this is going to be more of just a range toy and not much else, then it'll fit that role handily. That's not to be taken as a knock on S&W.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    $610 for the MP Sport
    +10 MSP
    +$36.60 Tax
    =$656.60

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...gth-lighter-weight-chrome-lined-mp-upper.html

+

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-build-kit-sale/moe-lower-build-kit.html

+

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=87963&highlight=lrb+group+buy

=$669 (mid-length gas system, MOE furniture, with a chrome lined barrel, forward assist, and dustcover) and this isn't even shopping the sales.

I'm not knocking the MP Sport. It's not a bad gun. But it's one I think many will grow out of in short order. For $13 more, the above is a lot more rifle.

If you swapped the MOE for standard

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit.html

The build would only cost $634, making it $22 cheaper than a MP Sport

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Zero Tolerance, please don't take the above as a rip on your chosen firearm. I'm not bashing it, I'm really not. I'm just trying to show the OP that building an AR is usually much more cost effective than buying a manufacturers price point base model.

There was a time when I would have bought the MP Sport because building my own seemed too daunting a task. Now that I know building an AR is both rewarding and cost effective, I would not buy a MP Sport or any other production gun (unless it was a spectacular deal). I do not consider the MP Sport a spectacular deal and I have shown that one can build a better rifle for less money.

Simply put, I'm trying to allow him to make an educated decision. I'm so passionate about people building their own AR's I run group buys and offer the tools and advice for first timers to not make the same mistakes I did.

I wasted a ton of money on factory assembled AR's. The lessons I've learned in assembling my own has been invaluable. If you can learn everything about every part of your rifle AND save money, it's a no-brainer in my mind.

Anyone who wants to build an AR and feels that the task is too daunting, seek me out. I won't build it for you, but I can point you in the right direction for parts. When you get all the parts you can meet up with me, use my tools, and I'll explain how to put it all together.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    Zero Tolerance, please don't take the above as a rip on your chosen firearm. I'm not bashing it, I'm really not. I'm just trying to show the OP that building an AR is usually much more cost effective than buying a manufacturers price point base model.

There was a time when I would have bought the MP Sport because building my own seemed too daunting a task. Now that I know building an AR is both rewarding and cost effective, I would not buy a MP Sport or any other production gun (unless it was a spectacular deal). I do not consider the MP Sport a spectacular deal and I have shown that one can build a better rifle for less money.

Simply put, I'm trying to allow him to make an educated decision. I'm so passionate about people building their own AR's I run group buys and offer the tools and advice for first timers to not make the same mistakes I did.

I wasted a ton of money on factory assembled AR's. The lessons I've learned in assembling my own has been invaluable. If you can learn everything about every part of your rifle AND save money, it's a no-brainer in my mind.

Anyone who wants to build an AR and feels that the task is too daunting, seek me out. I won't build it for you, but I can point you in the right direction for parts. When you get all the parts you can meet up with me, use my tools, and I'll explain how to put it all together.

thats pretty much the only reason i haven't built one yet, because i'm not sure what quality parts brands are out there, so i didn't wanna chance it and buy poor quality parts. thats the reason i was looking for a completed AR, and i like S&W so i figured it'd be decent. i'm also kinda new to guns as i've only taken shotguns apart to clean and put back together, so i assumed shotguns are really simple compared to an AR. i am mechanically inclined luckily, but not knowing how to assemble an AR i didn't wanna mess it up and have something catastrophic happen. thanks for all the information though gives me something to think about. i feel a little better already about possibly building one myself. :thumbsup:

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    I paid $610 for mine from an IP on this site (The Gun Shop). I doubt you could really build one for this price. If you could, I'm sure it would not come with a lifetime warranty like the Sport. I've put over 1000 rounds through my Sport with out a FTF or FTE. I've never needed a forward assist nor a dust cover, though they do look cool.
    With the money left over, think of what else you can buy: optics, ammo, etc.

I'd invite you to check out: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-rifle/
    It's a great forum, like this one.

thanks, i'll check out the forum

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    one thing i did find out by looking around, is if i build one i wanna build a 5.56 since you can fire .223 in a 5.56, but not the other way around.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Does the M&P 15 sport come with a case, sling, and mag? Little things I realized after building one that are not included that came with my assembled rifle that are nice to have.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    That should go without saying.

building a 5.56, or about firing a .223 in a 5.56 and not the other way around? i was just stating that i had found that out by researching. when i searched for differences between the 2, i have no plans of even firing .223 in a 5.56, i know you can't just throw any caliber ammo in any gun.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    Does the M&P 15 sport come with a case, sling, and mag? Little things I realized after building one that are not included that came with my assembled rifle that are nice to have.

i know it comes with a magpul mag, other than that i'm not sure.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    building a 5.56, or about firing a .223 in a 5.56 and not the other way around? i was just stating that i had found that out by researching. when i searched for differences between the 2, i have no plans of even firing .223 in a 5.56, i know you can't just throw any caliber ammo in any gun.

For building your own, you should only consider quality, chrome-lined 5.56 barrels. Buy once, cry once.

Why not fire .223 from a 5.56 barrel? Lots of target-grade FMJ is .223.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    For building your own, you should only consider quality, chrome-lined 5.56 barrels. Buy once, cry once.

Why not fire .223 from a 5.56 barrel? Lots of target-grade FMJ is .223.

just from what i read it said there could be a loss in accuracy, and i believe it also said velocity.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As stated, it comes with a pmag. In a cardboard box. Without a sling.

If it ships to the FFL with a 30rd mag, the FFL will remove it. It's up to the FFL to include a smaller mag or not. Some do. Some don't. 20rd PMAGs are not well regarded.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    $610 for the MP Sport
    +10 MSP
    +$36.60 Tax
    =$656.60

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...gth-lighter-weight-chrome-lined-mp-upper.html

+

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-build-kit-sale/moe-lower-build-kit.html

+

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=87963&highlight=lrb+group+buy

=$669 (mid-length gas system, MOE furniture, with a chrome lined barrel, forward assist, and dustcover) and this isn't even shopping the sales.

I'm not knocking the MP Sport. It's not a bad gun. But it's one I think many will grow out of in short order. For $13 more, the above is a lot more rifle.

If you swapped the MOE for standard

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit.html

The build would only cost $634, making it $22 cheaper than a MP Sport

is this the parts you yourself would use to build one or just parts used for an example? also, what brands are good and whats not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom