• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I have not started any paperwork but want to have my lower engraved by the manufacturer. Can I just make up a trust name now, get the lower engraved and then do all the paperwork later?

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    I guess you could technically engrave your trust name, location, model, caliber and serial number on there without setting it up as an SBR. I am assuming you’re using an 80% lower and milling it and using it as an SBR, yes?

The only thing that would suck is to have your lower engraved, and then have the Form 1 kicked back by the BATFE for whatever reason (like a serial number discrepancy). As long as you choose an acceptable and unique serial number with no symbols you should be good, but I would file your paperwork ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I guess you could technically engrave your trust name, location, model, caliber and serial number on there without setting it up as an SBR. I am assuming you’re using an 80% lower and milling it and using it as an SBR, yes?

The only thing that would suck is to have your lower engraved, and then have the Form 1 kicked back by the BATFE for whatever reason (like a serial number discrepancy). As long as you choose an acceptable and unique serial number with no symbols you should be good, but I would file your paperwork ASAP.

Nope, buying a receiver set from SOLGW and they offer engraving before they anodize or cerakote the receiver. As long as it is not set up as an SBR that should be fine right? After all, they’re just letters.

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    Nope, buying a receiver set from SOLGW and they offer engraving before they anodize or cerakote the receiver. As long as it is not set up as an SBR that should be fine right? After all, they’re just letters.

Cool so yeah just get your trust name, city and state engraved and you should be good to go. When you are ready to fill out your form 1 for an SBR you’ll use SOLGW as mfg, their model, their serial number, and you’ll put your trust name as the maker.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Cool so yeah just get your trust name, city and state engraved and you should be good to go. When you are ready to fill out your form 1 for an SBR you’ll use SOLGW as mfg, their model, their serial number, and you’ll put your trust name as the maker.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Trust Name+City+St.

That's all you need. You should engrave the caliber as "Multi" even though ATF wants to know what caliber your SBR will be.

The trust info will only apply while the gun is in NFA configuration. Slap a 16" or longer barreled upper on it, it will cease to be an NFA item until you return it to its SBR originality. I believe the lower itself will always belong to the trust, no matter the configuration.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Trust Name+City+St.

That's all you need. You should engrave the caliber as "Multi" even though ATF wants to know what caliber your SBR will be.

The trust info will only apply while the gun is in NFA configuration. Slap a 16" or longer barreled upper on it, it will cease to be an NFA item until you return it to its SBR originality. I believe the lower itself will always belong to the trust, no matter the configuration.

I see what you did there.... Do you.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom