• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    I also posted in the "fix my roof" thread, but I thought maybe I should just start a new thread. Last night, we got a leak coming from the bathroom vent fan. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's just a fix or a replace job (most likely replace). House is a typical split-level home built in '84. Any ideas for good roofers in the S. PG/Waldorf area? Are the larger places like Long, etc good or super price gougers?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So update:

I have a couple companies coming next week to give inspections/estimates for repair or replacement. Then yesterday I get a VM while at work. It's Long Roof asking me to call back about some sweepstakes.

Evidently, my name was drawn to win a $5000 discount off a new roof. So a guy comes out today to inspect and give an estimate. Turns out the $5000 discount is only good for the first visit (ie high pressure sale). Guy says he can come back at a better time (wife is ill) after the other two companies come and give their estimates and we'd count that as the "first visit". I'm kinda pissed at this tactic, yet on the other hand money is tight and a $5000 discount sounds pretty damn nice.

So, have any of you done business with Long? Good, bad, ugly? Also, my home is a standard MD split level home 1200 sq/ft. Any rough ideas of what a roof replacement should cost (ballpark) assuming I go with the same architectual shingle?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Lol your not getting a $5000 dollar discount.

On a separate note i have ocean front property in Arizona I’d sell you at a steep discount

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    So, have any of you done business with Long? Good, bad, ugly? Also, my home is a standard MD split level home 1200 sq/ft. Any rough ideas of what a roof replacement should cost (ballpark) assuming I go with the same architectual shingle?

Long fence/roof/whatever can go to visit the Devil, as far as I'm concerned.

HIGH pressure tactics.
    Got a quote on replacing the windows and front door on our house.
    Outrageous prices.

Told the salesman, "No thanks."

Got a call two days later, from a guy trying to pressure us into the sale.

Told him where to go, with his windows inserted up his sphincter muscle.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Speaking about roofers and new roofs. I had a storm chaser knock on my door right after the hail storm that we had here in Montgomery County a couple weeks back. He was telling me to call my insurance because I can get a new roof, new siding, etc.. etc... all for free. Well after I pay my deductible of course. Never have seen or heard of the company which was a red flag in my book. I let them up on my roof to do an inspection and they marked some locations where they noticed damage. Didn't want to take any chances with a company that I might never see again after they get the money so I passed! I probably should call my insurance though and ask them about the hail damage to my roof and who they recommend to come out.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Speaking about roofers and new roofs. I had a storm chaser knock on my door right after the hail storm that we had here in Montgomery County a couple weeks back. He was telling me to call my insurance because I can get a new roof, new siding, etc.. etc... all for free. Well after I pay my deductible of course. Never have seen or heard of the company which was a red flag in my book. I let them up on my roof to do an inspection and they marked some locations where they noticed damage. Didn't want to take any chances with a company that I might never see again after they get the money so I passed! I probably should call my insurance though and ask them about the hail damage to my roof and who they recommend to come out.

I figure, like you, that anyone with enough free time to solicit business door to door is doing sub-par work.

The good companies are slammed for a reason. You may not need work at all.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I had an outfit come with the high pressure sales about our roof. All the other estimates from decent companies were in the $5-7000 range. This guy came in a pair of dress shoes and slacks, never went on the roof or in the attic and came back with some CRAZY estimate around $25,000 and came down to $15,000 and wouldn't leave my house. I thought I was going to have to physically remove him or call the cops. Guy became a total a** at the end.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Roofing by George out of Mechanicsville is decent and fair.
    Guardian out of Leonardtown. Has fair pricing, and quick service. Their drawback: demands payment for the roof replacement same day, when other has yet to be completed.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012

The whole street in my moms old neighborhood, including her before selling the house used one of the “storm chaser” roofer. He meet with the adjuster and every thing. Not too bad

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Are you sure the roof is the problem? I had a little water dripping from my bathroom vent fan and it was condensation. If it was the roof leaking I wouldn't expect the leak to be limited to the fan.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Are you sure the roof is the problem? I had a little water dripping from my bathroom vent fan and it was condensation. If it was the roof leaking I wouldn't expect the leak to be limited to the fan.

If the fan has a roof penetration, it's usually a degraded boot. $100 fix rather than the thousands to replace the roof itself.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Roofing by George out of Mechanicsville is decent and fair.
    Guardian out of Leonardtown. Has fair pricing, and quick service. Their drawback: demands payment for the roof replacement same day, when other has yet to be completed.

I've used Roofing by George for a rental unit in Waldorf. Very good price, work was scheduled and completed quickly, very easy to deal with, very professional and very good quality work. All the extras I ask for were already included as standard. Would call them again in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom