• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Anyone have an idea what this is? I can't find any markings on it at all. Muzzle loading obviously, not sure on caliber(have not mic'd bullet diameter yet)

Attachments

• 20180825_233422.jpg
      20180825_233422.jpg
      112.3 KB · Views: 490

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Jar with homemade castings, castings in a pouch and Remington percussion caps

Attachments

• 20180825_234533.jpg
      20180825_234533.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 483

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It has a distinct stock or maybe a cheek weld on the left side

Attachments

• 20180825_233450.jpg
      20180825_233450.jpg
      109 KB · Views: 500

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    White oak 2 1/4 x 3/4 builder's grade(Pretty tight considering the grade).

Oooohhhhh. You meant the rifle.

Looks like a Hawkins? :shrug:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    White oak 2 1/4 x 3/4 builder's grade(Pretty tight considering the grade).

Oooohhhhh. You meant the rifle.

Looks like a Hawkins? :shrug:

I prefer #2 grade on my oak. It has more character, but still can be finished and installed smooth without a lot of rejects. I think with my kitchen and dinning room we only had about 3% rejects out of the boards.

But #3 is so dang pretty, but a lot of work to get it assembled and finished smooth. Great for a workshop.

I'd agree, the rifle looks like a Hawkins.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like a Tryon rifle with a back action original lock. Could have been re-made around the 50's with some original parts or more towards original but with some brass replacement parts. In it's original form I believe it would have displayed more iron furniture. Looks like a nice rifle to me.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not every muzzleloader is a Hawken. That one certainly isn't. Most people had no use for a big heavy rifle designed for hunting buffalo or Rocky Mountain elk and grizzlies.

A Hawken would have two wedges holding the barrel to the fore end, not a single pin. Hawken type/Great Plains type rifles would have a thick, heavy barrel, and a fixed sight. Not a back action lock, which weakens the stock at it's weakest point.

That looks like a nice generic half stock sporting rifle with a back action lock and an adjustable rear sight. What caliber? Even a ruler will give you an idea, 3/8"or less? Less than 1/2"?

Any markings on the barrel or lock?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Who made the paper cartridges? Sporting rifles were usually loaded with a loose ball and patch. Seems to me a paper cartridge would require a drastically undersized ball, smaller than used with a cloth patch, anyway. Very odd.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Who made the paper cartridges? Sporting rifles were usually loaded with a loose ball and patch. Seems to me a paper cartridge would require a drastically undersized ball, smaller than used with a cloth patch, anyway. Very odd.

It was my aunts fathers rifle, whom just passed away. Maybe it was a homemade rifle? No markings or the barrel or action to designate manufacturer.

I'd assume that her father made them, but I will never know for certain. Ball diameter is .345"

Below is a picture of the mic'd ball

Attachments

• 20180826_124526.jpg
      20180826_124526.jpg
      99.4 KB · Views: 138

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It was my aunts fathers rifle, who just passed away.

I'd assume that her father made them, but I will never know for certain. Ball diameter is .345"

Below is a picture of the mic'd ball

.345 is small bore. He may have used it on deer, but it's on the light side.

By contrast, a Buffalo-and-Grizzly-thumping-Hawken would probably be .54.

I'm sure he found the cartridges convenient. I just seems the paper would make an inconsistent patch, prone to tearing. Perhaps he threw the entire paper away, and used a separate cloth patch. I'm sure it worked for him, however he did it.

Is the bullet end of the cartridge lubricated? Dipped in tallow or grease? That would mean it acted as the patch, and was loaded with the ball.

I'm sure he tore the paper open and poured the powder down the barrel, then probably tore off the excess paper, loading just the ball with the remaining lubricated paper, or else threw away all the paper and used a separate cloth patch, perhaps lubed with spit. The patches included in the patch box lend weight to that speculation.

Interesting cartridges. I'd like a closer look at how they're made. They almost look sewn.

Beautiful rifle, and appears in great shape.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The back action lock and small bore size makes me think it's a target rifle.

Back action locks are thought to be faster.

Faster lock time leads to better accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom