• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Well this morning I shot and hit an 8pt but it was low and blood trail went dead. Im hoping he makes it. I misjudged the distance by 12 yards which explains my low shot.

I'm looking to by a range finder that I can use for archery and something out to 1200 yards with a rifle.

suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=as2&tag=opticsden-20&linkId=Y2BTAMO7XSH4S62Y

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HZGN9BE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    IF you have that much money to spend on a rangefinder, get whichever. I have an Halo XRT6 and it works great but I only use it for bow hunting. It's really only good out to about 400 yards. If I could hit a deer from 400 yards with a bow, I could probably afford a more expensive rangefinder.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I prefer the Bushnell over the Leica. Leicas are bulkier and expensive and I'm not sure if it has built-in shot angle compensation. The Bush does which is important with archery gear shooting from elevated positions.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Speed, one consideration is ability to see the yardage in low light. I have a bushnell that works great during the day, but early morning / evening I can't read it. Good for scouting and measuring reference, not great when actively hunting in low light. And as you can imagine, most of the best opportunities will arise in those low light situations. Although it may cost a little more upfront, you will probably find it more useful.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    The vortex ranger gets good reviews. It will probably be my next rangefinder.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I took this to Africa in 2013.
    It was and I think still is the only rangefinder that will allow you to input your own drop/yardage data points for up to 5 loads.
    Other rangefinders rely on characteristic ballistic curves rather than your own actual as-shot ballistics data.
    The professional hunter and I had enormous fun guessing distances and comparing the results with the G7.
    He was really good at range estimation; much much better than me.

REF:
    https://www.gunwerks.com/store/featured-products/g7-br2-ballistic-rangefinder-2015-model-magento

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I took this to Africa in 2013.
    It was and I think still is the only rangefinder that will allow you to input your own drop/yardage data points for up to 5 loads.
    Other rangefinders rely on characteristic ballistic curves rather than your own actual as-shot ballistics data.
    The professional hunter and I had enormous fun guessing distances and comparing the results with the G7.
    He was really good at range estimation; much much better than me.

REF:
    https://www.gunwerks.com/store/featured-products/g7-br2-ballistic-rangefinder-2015-model-magento

$1,700 is too much for me, although it is awesome.

I have not touched a bow in 20+ years.
    Did some reading and under 100 yards the angle sensor doesn't work, so won't do me much help with a bow.

I will check out the sig

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I would like to offer my services to spend some of your guys money....

I have a Bushnell that does its job. It is an older model but it definitely isn't good in low light. It is a lower model and the most I tried to measure I believe is around 400

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    A cheaper method is to learn subtending for bow hunting

I don't disagree, but morally I cant wound and not recover another animal. I've hunted 24 years and only hit 2 deer that I haven't recovered, both were with a bow and been in the last 4 years. If it happens again, I won't hunt bow anymore.

Practice judging distances needs to improve, and is easier to estimate and verify with a range finder. Same goes for estimating wind, I can guess all day but until I verify what mph it really is, I can't account for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom