• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    So it looks like century arms won the Samco auction. Anyone have any leads on what that means for us? I sure hope they dont try to sell at crazy prices.

:party29:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Who knows...Samco was selling those .308/7.62 Spanish Mausers for years. Maybe CAI will liquidate them for Mosin prices (like 2008 Mosin prices)? Or maybe they will go all C308 and turn them into something any bubba would love.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Don't be surprised if it takes a while to get to market. I was at the Springfield Sporters auction back in 2003 and Century got a lot of No4 MkI T sniper rifles without scopes. I still remember what they paid for them: $156 per rifle. It was years later in 2009 that they were put up for sale at $400 ea. It's possible they were waiting on a source of mounts and scopes to become available but who knows. BTW, someone back then posted that their $400 Century order got them an ex Trials Rifle converted to a No4 T. One hell of a bit of luck!
    Would be nice if this stuff was released before I die.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Doesn't Century then sell to other distributors like RGuns does? I know I have a Century login but never used it. Could this end up going from Century, then to Classic?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Doesn't Century then sell to other distributors like RGuns does? I know I have a Century login but never used it. Could this end up going from Century, then to Classic?

Yes, they distribute to other folks like Classic and such. They also sell directly to C&R holders as well. Awhile back they had Star Bs... a few weeks later, J&G had the same Star Bs with a CAI import mark I believe.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Century will sell everything at bargain prices in July of this year. I know because my C&R expires in June and I'm not renewing so I can purge by BB.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I've been saving my pennies for a while and was thinking about treating myself to a new rifle this summer...will have to keep an eye on this.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There was a long thread about this auction over on Gun Boards. The most interesting posting was from Raspootyn who was actively involved and seemed to know the most about what their inventory held. Here's his post, makes for interesting reading...

Auction is next week on the 23rd. You have to be pre-qualified by tomorrow and show up live on the 23rd to bid. It was a sealed bid, but the auction house convinced the bankruptsy judge
    that it was a bad idea and they'd get more $$$ by making it live. So they changed it to a live auction 3 weeks ago and postponed the auction until the 23rd of March.
    I tried to get a group together and missed it by "..." that much, LOL.

I spent the better part of the past week with a group trying to come up with around $2mil.
    The hardest part was trying to come up with a real inventory for the business plan and loan.
    I am more familiar with Samcos inventory than just about anyone as I was getting them to sell me few rare items the past year. Like the M59 SKS Long Barrels prototypes they were sitting on.
    After talking to the auction house and the former lead armorer of samco several times, here is what I can say now that I'm out of the bidding.

Sure there are mistakes in the inventory. Lots of them. 1000s even. It was done by non-skilled labor and the inventory is only around 80% accurate if that.
    No guarantee anything is there like the inventory says, LOL. However ATF does says they have 15,000 receivers/actions there. But will NOT do an updated inventory.
    Caveat Emptor!

There are alot of gems there. Including:
    Mosins... Yes they have Mosins. Including around 200+ rare Finns. With most being m91s.
    Also 100+ Tula M44s. Yep all Tulas...
    Lots of Swiss stuff. just about every form of Swiss rifle. Including original sniper bent bolts and about 80 Swiss original sniper scopes(that need some cleaning for starters).

The main group is around 8000 mausers. most being South American varieties(from Honduran rebels I was told)
    1000+ AKBAR shotguns
    lots of older Eastern Front Mausers... lots of VZ24s BRNO
    SKS rifles, several pallets of M91/66 A1s. including M59 "C"s and at least one Long Barrel M59 #015

P38s Walters.
    SigSauer pistols. Not many but they are there.
    Enfields and Springfield rifles. several hundred of each
    Oh and around 130+ M1 carbines! Confirmed, they are there...

Obscene amount of ammo types. Lose and in boxes. 308, swiss and more uncommon older types. Including rare older ammo in boxes/crates still. you can see the pallets full in the pics on the website.
    several pallets of 7.62x39 alone.
    1000's of stocks and actions. pallets of bolts. Supposedly many rifles were taken apart. Stock goes here. bolt goes in this pallet, action goes elsewhere. Many of the actions have plugged bores. a gunsmith shop would have to do alot of barrel swapping. however years worth of work.

Overall estimated value of around $10mil, give or take a couple mil. That's what happens when one partner does not want to sell and the warehouse fills up.
    They have stuff sitting from the '80's and 90's....

Oh and Numrich was there with a low bid ;-)
    High bid was $530k so far, but that will jump big time once the bidding actually starts next week.
    My guys were trying to split the warehouse in a deal with Classic as of yesterday, but we could not agree on "value" so that fell through this morning...

I'm hoping to get a smaller slice once the winner is announced. As are everyone else, LOL

Expect the scramble for gems hidden away in there to be fierce and bloody. Could make for an interesting summer depending on how long it takes Century to organize this mess.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Amazing a company can go bankrupt with such valuable inventory.
    Just when I was about to post a "nothing new happening around here" thread.
    It sounds like patience is a virtue and soon the crufflers will be rewarded.
    130 M1 carbines will be gone like "that", but I'll expect they will grade them and sell them for a pretty penny. this WON"T be CMP pricing.

I'm hopeful some of those SA Mausers will be Colombian. Although I thought those were mostly spanish mauser conversions to 308

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I have to say that my first Mosin was from Samco. A '91 Finn that they called a Russian. What a beaut, as I was just getting started collecting, I thought they would all look like that one. What an education, what a ride. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom