• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Has anyone looked into/heard of the Polymer80 Spectre 80% pistol frame? Am I right that this would be 100% legal to purchase, finish, shoot and posses in Maryland under current laws? I am VERY new to the 80% world and just looking for some guidance. My understanding is that since it would be for personal use and never sold it would not need a serial number and therefore not need a shell casing and therefore no HQL. Am I correct?

Thanks All!

:party29:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes

Shell casing requirement was repealed last year, and that went into effect 10/1/2015.

HQL is to purchase a non-exempt handgun. This is not a "handgun."

Neither state nor federal law require a serial number on a home built, non-NFA firearm.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Look for threads related to a company stealth arms. They were mildly popular in their 80% 1911 frame that some members built here. The same rules and laws apply to that product.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    I am currently building a Stealth Arms 80% 1911. Out of the box it is little more than a fancy shaped paperweight.

My understanding is that no serial number is needed. It is suggested that you do stamp/etch an identifying mark in the event your paperweight is stolen.

As stated, there are a couple of good build threads in the handgun forum. There are also a couple decent youTube videos.

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    You'll end up spending more to build the polymer 80, than just buying a new glock.I guess it's worth it to someone who wants a pistol without a hql.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    You'll end up spending more to build the polymer 80, than just buying a new glock.I guess it's worth it to someone who wants a pistol without a hql.

Also the accomplishment of building up a firearm. I've always preferred my 80% AR frames to the purchased ones I have. It is very likely personal bias, but it's always nice to see someone looking at the gun at the range and they ask "Who made that?" to which I reply "Me."

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yeah I started doing the math and seems to be more expensive in the long run. I think I am going to break down and get an HQL anyway. So many surplus guns out there that are not yet c&r at really reasonable prices. I am really into those types of guns. I have a few C&R pistols but really want a Star super b and maybe some of the early beretta 92's and I need the dang HQL for those. I hate this state. ugh.

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    Also the accomplishment of building up a firearm. I've always preferred my 80% AR frames to the purchased ones I have. It is very likely personal bias, but it's always nice to see someone looking at the gun at the range and they ask "Who made that?" to which I reply "Me."

I have an 80% ar build,even though I it cost me a few dollars more than a stipped lower build but cheaper than a store bought ar.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    without HQL, 77r and 4377. What's yours is yours.

Yes. CHEAP shouldn't be the only reason. There's rumors of another Obama EO coming to limit the number of registered guns/person and a few other eye-opening restrictions.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    While believable, it is not an EO. That informatiin is from a spoof site.

It would have to be, since there is no legal "registry" of guns on a Federal level that they could limit like that (with the exception of the NFA registry).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Every 4473 on file is a legal registry of guns on a federal level.

As long as ATF pulls them from each individual FFL where they reside. The manpower to collect the 4473's alone would be a budget buster ... much less the confrontation with the free states that would interfere on a wholesale level.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD

If you spend much more on a gun you build yourself compared to a new gun store gun, it would be worth every cent and would probably be because you got better parts.
    Back before the HQL I purchased a lightly used Springfield 1911A1 and it cost about the same as my Stealth Arms 1911's. It was also very helpful when building my own, just to compare them and their parts. Nothing beats hearing that bang for the first time from a gun you built all by yourself!
    HQL=Licensing and Licensing makes confiscation possible.
    If this gun had a serial number, it would be #1...

(Please excuse the fumbling at the end of the video, the shooter was excited and nervous shooting the gun for the very first time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom