• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    Morning and after 4 traffic might be some what heavy I don't think its crazy.
    If its that remodeled house off 258 thats for sale on that side rd it shouldn't be to loud.
    Take a day off and sit there at 5 or 6am ride around and come back at 5pm and check it out.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Morning and after 4 traffic might be some what heavy I don't think its crazy.
    If its that remodeled house off 258 thats for sale on that side rd it shouldn't be to loud.
    Take a day off and sit there at 5 or 6am ride around and come back at 5pm and check it out.

That may or may not be the house...:innocent0

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    LOL..yep. As far as "being on top of your neighbor", I guess it's all relative. We're in a typical subdivision now.

How heavy is traffic on 258? Is it like living next to a highway?

It didn't bother me at all, it was the wife. She felt like that neighbor's driveway was practically in your back yard with the way the house is set back from the road. I thought the house was nice though.

As far as traffic goes, I've driven through there mostly during the day hours but do travel up route 4 in the mornings. 258 is kind of a cut through between 4 and 2 so you'll see it busy mostly early in the mornings and around dinner. The closer you get to Andrews in the morning, the more congestion builds. Occasionally, maybe once a month, it will be stop and go but other than that traffic can get heavy but it always seems to be moving.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks.
    I'm currently a member at SCSC but sometimes go to MSAR (rifle lanes aren't as "rich and vibrant"). Going by Mapquest the trip into work in S. PG would be about 30 min. Not bad.

Our main priority for the move is for better schools. We didn't have kids when we moved here (S. PG), and now that we do we want to get out ASAP. We're looking at HoCo and AA. The Lothian area seems to be a great combo of still being commutable (not having to switch jobs) and great schools. That's good to hear that they're "art-centric" as the wife and I are both musicians and the apple doesn't fall far...

IF we move there, hopefully there might be a possibility of even getting in good with a local farmer for shooting....

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    If your main focus is good schools, then you will do yourself an injustice if you don't look at Calvert. School system is always rated among the top schools in the State. Still close to 12th precinct. Lots of housing available in the northern end of the county from older homes to high dollar places.

I moved here in 83 and never left. Good luck.

supajoeshs04

Jan 12, 2015
    trumpet, its a great area, I'm another couple minutes south in Fairhaven and take mchendree road home often to drop off a co worker. the trailer parks you speak of are on the other side of lothian from where you are 8-10 minutes away maybe, Also I would think where you are looking you would goto traceys for elementary ( my old school, go termites!!) as my friend up on grenock road was even closer to lothian elementary and he went to traceys. dunkirk is your closest bet from there for shopping about 10 mins. traffic is busy right on bayfront (us locals call that 258) mostly at rush hour but stays moving.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    You mentioned Howard County too. I live here and am very happy with the schools. But as with anywhere you go, schools vary by region in the county. I'm a sucker for convenience, and Howard County has all the modern conveniences you could want within short driving distances no matter where you end up in the county. I work in PG, and the commute is a breeze.

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    Ok,
    So the wife and I have decided that due to our job s(h)ituations, we're going to stay in MD (instead of moving to VA). We're in PG, and our main criteria is the quality of schools. So, we're looking at Howard County, and also decided to open it up to AA (depending on school). We were looking on realtor.com and found a nice place in Lothian.

What's it like there? Not to sound "judgy", but when we were looking on the various websites, it looks like a LOT of trailers, and some nice homes.

If you have grade-school aged kids, there are two possible schools your kid might go to, both of them pretty nice.

Tracy's Elementary is for the southern half, from about 408 down. My kid goes there, it's fine, has a great principle, good people, love the teacher, etc.

Lothian Elementary is a brand new school. as in 2014-15 is it's first year back in the brand new facility. also pretty nice, and has had a lot of investment. covers the area from basically 408 north, and some of the areas around Rt 2 that are very close to it.

All middle schoolers go to Southern middle, and all high schoolers go to southern high.

We've had kids in Deale Elementary and Tracy's now, and have friends with kids in Lothian and Shady Side.

PM me if you have any more Questions.

-M

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks for all the input guys,
    Appreciate it. We went this weekend to look at the house (the remodeled yellow house off 258), and it's a no-go. We think they were getting a little creative with the numbers as there's no way that's a 3700 sq ft home. And the yard may be .79 acres, but most of it's unusable hill/scrub etc. The wife wasn't too pleased with the farm scrap yard and mini auto graveyard the neighbors had going on either....

We went to go look at a place on Gunners Run Rd, but mapquest led us astray and we never found it...but that's OK. I'm not hip on living THAT close to the water as the thought of flooding gives me chest pains. Plus, we don't even own a boat anyway and the "boat culture" really isn't our "thing".

This trip led the wife to the conclusion that she likes her amenities (being closer to shopping, Dr, etc), so she's not wild about it. When we were on our way to Crofton we did like the northbound trip on Solomon's Island Rd.

So, we're still looking and decided that a little more North in AA county might be best (closer to the amenities etc), and I would still like Howard too. I figure if we gotta stay in MD and pay high taxes, we might as well be in a place where we see it actually going to something...unlike here in PG where they literally flush it down the toilet.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    A lot of officers advised I looked elsewhere.

Tracys Landing seemed nice. Quaint.

Why not Eastern Shore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom