• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    So some of you may remember a few months ago I was in a "which scope" for my precision 18" AR type situation. I ended up with the Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope - 3-12x44mm Illum BTR-Mil Reticle for a hell of a price from Natchez. Well, I haven't even finished having the upper built, so naturally the scope isn't mounted.

Now, I'm also planning on getting a bolt gun again (not sure if RPR in 6.5, Tikka CTR, FN SPR, or Howa 6.5 in XLR). Anyway, I'll need an optic for that as well. SOOOO...would I be better off, just using that Bushnell on the bolt gun (keep in mind I don't have access to anything over 200 yards currently), and getting either some sort of 1-4/6 or a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 for the AR, or put the Bushnell on the AR and get something else for the bolt gun? I'd love a PST 6.5-24, but they're a little too rich for my blood currently.

Thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Put the Bushnell on the bolt rifle.

With a mount, it's top-heavy for an AR-15. I prefer scopes no heavier than 16oz for that role, preferably with a lightweight mount.

Don't waste money on FFP for 200 yards or less. Pointless.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just becasue you only have access to a 200 yard range normally, decide what you WANT to do with the rifles.

My local range on goes out to 300 yards. But I like my Vortex Viper PST FFP 6x24 for when I visit Bang Steel and shoot out to 1200 yards (about once a year).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ok,
    So some of you may remember a few months ago I was in a "which scope" for my precision 18" AR type situation. I ended up with the Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope - 3-12x44mm Illum BTR-Mil Reticle for a hell of a price from Natchez. Well, I haven't even finished having the upper built, so naturally the scope isn't mounted.

Now, I'm also planning on getting a bolt gun again (not sure if RPR in 6.5, Tikka CTR, FN SPR, or Howa 6.5 in XLR). Anyway, I'll need an optic for that as well. SOOOO...would I be better off, just using that Bushnell on the bolt gun (keep in mind I don't have access to anything over 200 yards currently), and getting either some sort of 1-4/6 or a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 for the AR, or put the Bushnell on the AR and get something else for the bolt gun? I'd love a PST 6.5-24, but they're a little too rich for my blood currently.

Thoughts?
    I use the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 on my Howa .308 precision build. On my DMR 6.8 SPC II AR I use a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 because it was on sale at Midway. You might look at the Viper 50mm version of the 6.5-20x as even at regular pricing it is less than half of the Bushnell.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just got this Burris AR 556 and a PEPR mount, so far i'm pretty impressed. Range day is Wednesday so we'll have a range report soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom