• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Tell that to the Hagerstown bailsman who was arrested for being outside his restrictions. Or the Ocean City permit holder who was arrested for only this offense in stopping a knife attack. I say BS

And even if (stipulating just for argument’s sake) the MSP itself is warm and fuzzy about it, there are dozens of other agencies and thousands of individuals with arrest powers for whom the MSP can’t speak.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Tell that to the Hagerstown bailsman who was arrested for being outside his restrictions. Or the Ocean City permit holder who was arrested for only this offense in stopping a knife attack. I say BS

I understand that very point , he chuckled at me for being concerned . But your point is well received by me . :thumbsup:

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Just a note on the costs. I am counsel on the case (I'm on the cover) and I can tell you that that printing costs and shipping costs (to serve) were over $800.00. That is just the cost to have someone print the brief and the Record Extracts in sufficient number of copies and to serve them on opposing counsel. And as we take it up the food chain, those kinds of basic costs get even higher. Don't sit on the sidelines.

Lol have you guys heard of email and PDF?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What happens when the HPRB goes away in January as we expect it will? Does the state argue the case is moot as the board will cease to exist?

Nope, the MSP still rely on Snowden and Scherr as controlling law and apparently the OAH and the Circuit Courts do as well.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Nope, the MSP still rely on Snowden and Scherr as controlling law and apparently the OAH and the Circuit Courts do as well.

Plus, the case isn't moot as the applicant is still contesting the denial. All that would change would be that the remand would not go to the Board but to the successor agency, which would be in this case would be the OAH.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not that we don't believe that Welder516's friend is 100% accurate in relatinh his conversations , but rather :

1. Verbal assurances aren't worth the paper their written on .
    2. Wink wink, nod nod agreements usually disappear when somthing becomes high profile in the media.

And of course ;

3. This iz the MSP . Not only do we Make Stuff Up , but the Stuff We Make Up , frequently changes from week to week .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    DE and CT are actually Shall Issue, albeit with lots of hassles .

CA and NY are indeed May Issue statewide , albeit in some jurisdictions , the " May " in practice is Usually .

CT was no hassle for me, unless you count writing the most expensive permit check a hassle. They even sent a renewal form, something that MSP doesn't do, about three months prior to expiration.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    I am very encouraged by MSI’s lawsuit.

My college constitutional law professor repeated in class an old saying from the dawn of the 20th century: “The Supreme Court follows the election returns.”

It is time to update this: “Half of the Supreme Court watches Fox News.”

Regardless which 2A case(s) they choose to hear, national news coverage of MSI’s case adds to our 2A civil rights momentum.

Thank you Fox News and MSI:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gun-rights-group-sues-to-overturn-concealed-carry-law

(H/T Jack Ryan, post #50 this thread.)

Attachments

• ED9EFB94-81FC-41A0-B67E-B5261C6E52F3.jpg
      ED9EFB94-81FC-41A0-B67E-B5261C6E52F3.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 478

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It's not that we don't believe that Welder516's friend is 100% accurate in relatinh his conversations , but rather :

1. Verbal assurances aren't worth the paper their written on .
    2. Wink wink, nod nod agreements usually disappear when somthing becomes high profile in the media.

And of course ;

3. This iz the MSP . Not only do we Make Stuff Up , but the Stuff We Make Up , frequently changes from week to week .

You are so correct , if a permit holder had to use the firearm in defense of life , I can see a lot of questions asked at that time if the permit holder was carrying within restrictions .
    That is when the rubber hits the road and that verbal assurance goes out the window .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Plus, the case isn't moot as the applicant is still contesting the denial. All that would change would be that the remand would not go to the Board but to the successor agency, which would be in this case would be the OAH.

Even with this provision, is there a strategic or other legal reason that the HPRB was named instead of the State Police LD?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Well, the Court of Special Appeals hasn't, at least in cases not subject to electronic filing (this case was not). A *lot* of paper copies plus service copies.

I'm surprised that everything hasn't gone to e-filing. I guess that court still has a bunch of clerks to take filings, Bates stamp etc...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And not even all of NY or CA, just certain counties.

No, it is all of those states. Just because the sheriff might happen to hand them out like candy in parts of those states doesn’t mean an election doesn’t result in de facto blanket denials in that county.

I know I am unpopular for saying I don’t have a serious issue with there being some requirements to get a permit. But a reason other than “I’ve chosen to exercise my right to bear arms”.

PS I don’t know exactly what is a reasonable training requirement beyond “none”. As convoluted as firearm and self defense laws can be different places a class instructing people in those basics as well as at least a short firearm safety class probably. If you’ve got a good and substantial reason the class requirement waived and just has to be taken within 6 months maybe? Take in to account those with stated threats against themselves who need a permit ASAP.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    No, it is all of those states. Just because the sheriff might happen to hand them out like candy in parts of those states doesn’t mean an election doesn’t result in de facto blanket denials in that county.

I know I am unpopular for saying I don’t have a serious issue with there being some requirements to get a permit. But a reason other than “I’ve chosen to exercise my right to bear arms”.

PS I don’t know exactly what is a reasonable training requirement beyond “none”. As convoluted as firearm and self defense laws can be different places a class instructing people in those basics as well as at least a short firearm safety class probably. If you’ve got a good and substantial reason the class requirement waived and just has to be taken within 6 months maybe? Take in to account those with stated threats against themselves who need a permit ASAP.

I might agree with you, except that the parade of horribles from Constitutional Carry (what, 15 states now?) has not happened.

People can get a FL or VA carry with nothing more than a hunting license. For a hunting license in MD you need to shoot one shotgun shell. In Texas, its zero. You can get an HQL in MD with Texas online hunter safety, but before that it was a 10 minute video online. How many accidents in the home did we have?

There is nothing in hunter safety that addresses proper holster retention or self defense. FOPA is not covered. I have Constitutionally carried in WV, and nothing happened (as do a lot of other people).

People have been carrying guns for 1000 years. People who are stupid are far more more likely to shoot themselves than other people. And of course, even with a lot of training (ahem, FBI), maybe you do a back flip at a party and your gun falls out and your gun goes off. People tend to be cautious with explosive charges inside the waistband! Training does not fix stupid.

So, I might agree with you, except that there is almost zero evidence of any safety or other problem with the over 15 million lawful CCW holders who mostly carry with not much training. The overwhelming evidence is that "training" is just another word for "barrier."

Your fear is irrational... but if you have some evidence otherwise I'd love to see it and my mind might be changed.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I agree and think people should also have to successfully complete classroom training before exercising their first amendment rights.

There should be a day of training on grammar, a day of spelling and at least a half day on “forward this to everyone in your address book” scams and fraud.

Newspaper reporters should have anti bias training before reporting any story.

Maybe all news should be vetted by a bipartisan govt agency before broadcast.

So what if the govt is on strike, there is civil unrest or budget shortfalls.

We can and must do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I agree and think people should also have to successfully complete classroom training before exercising their first amendment rights.

There should be a day of training on grammar, a day of spelling and at least a half day on “forward this to everyone in your address book” scams and fraud.

Newspaper reporters should have anti bias training before reporting any story.

Maybe all news should be vetted by a bipartisan govt agency before broadcast.

So what if the govt is on strike, there is civil unrest or budget shortfalls.

We can and must do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Priceless :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Would I personally recommend a level of fundamental skills and useful knowledge as being wise and prudent ? You betcha !

But just like * Blood in the Streets ! * , we don't have to speculate . There are already a number of States in each catagory -( no training , vague requirements that virtually everyone already meets, and very long, specific mantated course outline only ) . And no appreciable difference in accidental or mistaken shootings between them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom