• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    So my Aero M5 build is slowly coming along. I can't seem to decide on two things. Stock and barrel. Thus far, I have the M5 set, Geissele SD-E, MIAD, and AP Custom 15" carbon fiber handguard.

I can't decide if I should go with an 18" or 20" barrel.

Also, as to stocks Im not sure if I should go with an ACS (already have one lying around), or a Luth, or just go batshit and get a PRS.

Thoughts?

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I looked up muzzle velocities for different barrel lengths. There is not a huge difference but it is bullet weight/load dependent. The maximum difference was only 80 some fps between 20" & 18". I think the 18" looks better. Has a more balanced look but that's just me. No matter what its going to be a tradeoff. I wish you luck. These are the kind of decisions that make me nuts :lol2:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just slapped a pro-fab on my old DPMS well see how it does. Not too worried aobut the difference between 18 and 20, more worried about realized recoil.

However, last time I fired it was with a DPMS AP4 upper, standard cheap collapsible stock etc.

Now its fitted with a Magpul PRS.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Did you look at results for different gas tube lengths? Wouldn't gas tube length impact the velocity more than barrel length? I would expect a mid-length gas tube to provide a higher velocity than a carbine length gas tube.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I also want to build a dpms pattern 308. Does any know where I can find a dpms ar10 lower?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    [QUOTE=rob;4538078]I also want to build a dpms pattern 308. Does any know where I can find a dpms ar10 lower?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but seems like alot of people go with the Aero precision lower and upper matched set. I think that's what I'll be using when I build mine.

Sting

Member, League the Armed
    Apr 28, 2013
    Rockville
    Starting an Ar 308 build. Looking at lowers and how to match to uppers. Settled on DPMS. Many manufacturers don't list compatibility. Any insight appreciated.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If you are looking to shoot past 500 yards, the 20" is a good idea. Otherwise the 18" should do you just fine and will still fit in most tactical bags.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Check out blackholeweaponry.com

They make excellent polygonal rifled barrels for a reasonable price. You can get off the shelf versions or custom lengths, gas tubes, profiles, cerakote, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom