• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I also posted this on ARF, so if you responded there...carry on.
    K,
    So I'm toying with the idea of an AK pistol (since AK rifles are too dangerous for us :sad20:). Anyway, is there a difference in quality between the PAP and the Draco? I like the idea of the Draco's chrome lined barrel, but I like the cosmetics of the PAP a little more.

Which one do you think is better and why?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a micro Draco it doesn't do well with some steel case ammo. Seems to stick in the chamber. I haven't had time to work on it yet. But felt it should have worked better out of the box

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I SBR'd (or will) the PAP. I own a micro and it seems mine runs better than Boss94's. No issues with it. That said, I'm assuming you're talking about the regular Draco, and that gun is more similar to a regular Romy - no buffer, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Micro Dracos suck. They need the buffer to keep the bolt/piston from jumping out of their place.

PAP's can at times have parts that are rather soft in the Bolt/Carrier Assembly. I think they are pretty cheap.

Regular Dracos are pretty strong and have a chrome lined chamber which IME, helps with steel cased ammo. The bad news is many have off center threads and canted sights. When I used to rework them, the failure rate was around 60% out of the box.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Micro Dracos suck. They need the buffer to keep the bolt/piston from jumping out of their place.

PAP's can at times have parts that are rather soft in the Bolt/Carrier Assembly. I think they are pretty cheap.

Regular Dracos are pretty strong and have a chrome lined chamber which IME, helps with steel cased ammo. The bad news is many have off center threads and canted sights. When I used to rework them, the failure rate was around 60% out of the box.

Is that a fairly normal fix? Is there any way to "hedge your bets" to make sure you get a good one?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is that a fairly normal fix? Is there any way to "hedge your bets" to make sure you get a good one?

You can fix canted sights, but its not sometbing most can do without paying an AK Smith. The threads have to be checked with a suppressor alignment gauge and a suppressor with the threads that match the PAP or Draco.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    You can fix canted sights, but its not sometbing most can do without paying an AK Smith. The threads have to be checked with a suppressor alignment gauge and a suppressor with the threads that match the PAP or Draco.

Cool, thx. Do you or anyone know of any dealers (IP or not) that check for these issues prior to sale?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not sure why a chromed barrel "helps" with steel cased ammo but...I'm interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IME, chromed chambers extract better than non chrome lined ones when using steel cased ammo.

Yes, chrome makes the bore and barrel more resistent to wear and corrosion, but IME it serves other purposes.

Yugo Barrels omit chrome. Their casings are brass and the projectiles are not bimetal. There is a reason for that IMO .

Other AKs have chrome lining and their casings are made of steel and have bimetal projectiles.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    IME, chromed chambers extract better than non chrome lined ones when using steel cased ammo.

Yes, chrome makes the bore and barrel more resistent to wear and corrosion, but IME it serves other purposes.

Yugo Barrels omit chrome. Their casings are brass and the projectiles are not bimetal. There is a reason for that IMO .

Other AKs have chrome lining and their casings are made of steel and have bimetal projectiles.

Also IIRC chrome is more slickerer

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    So, I'm a dumbass and didn't realize the Draco isn't on "the list" :sad20:

So how would the mini (NOT Micro) Draco compare to the PAP? What about the C39? Is it essentially a Draco with a milled receiver?

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    So, I'm a dumbass and didn't realize the Draco isn't on "the list" :sad20:

So how would the mini (NOT Micro) Draco compare to the PAP? What about the C39? Is it essentially a Draco with a milled receiver?

i went with the mini instead of the PAP and i've put well over 1000 rounds down range without a problem and no regrets.

some of the reasons i chose the mini;

it was around $50 cheaper than the PAP
    it comes with a A2 muzzle brake
    chrome lined barrel

some of the reasons i almost went with the PAP;

hinged dust cover
    safety locks back the charging handle

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Did you try doing a search using the word "Century"

I thought I had it covered just sorting alphabetically into c's and searching "Draco" but took your advice and searched "century" and it's indeed listed under " Romarm (century arms int)".

Roster search only searches manufacturer!

Duh....Thanks for advice!

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I picked up a PAP from Duffys and SBRd it. I have about 500 rounds through it and no issues so far. Has bolt hold open which is a nice feature, but need BHO mags (yugo surplus) for it to work. Also works well with magpul mags. Has a notch in the safety selector to hold/release the bolt.

I have no experience with the Dracos.

Edit: just realized this thread is old. I will leave it here anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom