CCW training requirement just might be here soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Post #9 & #27 state live fire training for a Utah Permit......When did that become a requirement?

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    What's the big deal. Go take a training class like you guys did for Utah and bam your done. Be grateful we have gotten this far at all! The glass is half full!

The big deal is you open one door to find another closed door. How many doors do we need to open to find another closed door behind it ? It gets old quick and shows the level that our elected politicians will go to screw someone out of their rights. Oh cant keep G&S ok lets do training and make it just like G&S. Dont take the states class that's offered once a blue moon then sorry, dont score high enough on your written 3 hour test then sorry, leaving it up to the state means way too many hoops for my right.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The beig deal is that we don't know what they have in mind. It could be a 3 day training class for all we know....they could require 10 hours of live fire for all we know. They could require Barney the Purple dinosaur to sign your permit app attesting to your training Ok...a big stretch...but you get my point. :-)

So let's worry that the world is burning away until we see what bill the propose?

Let's what to see what's introduced before we come up with worst case situations and cause a bunch of hype.

IMO the "standard" for training in other states have been set forth and MD will likely pick something close to other live fire training programs of course with their own tweaks.

Oh and it's not going to be free...much like your drivers license isnt.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Gansler could also use this as his STAY appeal.

We are OK with issuing permits but we only feel safe if they have training with a pistol. With the late ruling we did not have the time to get the requirements together for the law to be voted on. So now we need a stay till we can make some laws on this next year. :puke:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If the training that is for us, is also for everyone, then Joe Politician has to take it too...NO EXCEPTIONS.

I think you'd see this.

The only difference is it would be held with a Trooper or otherwise qualified Gov't employee and will be done in private setting with no cost to them....after all this is still MD isnt it?

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Post #9 & #27 state live fire training for a Utah Permit......When did that become a requirement?
    Live Fire is FL, didn't know Utah required this, I didn't think so.

If one has a FL, I think their live fire course should suffice if that what MD will require.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Gansler could also use this as his STAY appeal.

We are OK with issuing permits but we only feel safe if they have training with a pistol. With the late ruling we did not have the time to get the requirements together for the law to be voted on. So now we need a stay till we can make some laws on this next year. :puke:

Not really, if the legislature thought it was prudent and a real concern, HB 45 would have made it out of committee.

The HB 45 desk drawer veto proves that the MD legislasture is not at all concerned over citizens carrying firearms. Which is the only good thing about the bill :)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Live Fire is FL, didn't know Utah required this, I didn't think so.

If one has a FL, I think their live fire course should suffice if that what MD will require.

No live fire in Florida, at least, not at the end of last year when I got mine.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Not really, if the legislature thought it was prudent and a real concern, HB 45 would have made it out of committee.

The HB 45 desk drawer veto proves that the MD legislasture is not at all concerned over citizens carrying firearms.

The HB45 desk drawer veto is something we should all be THANKFUL for.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    They can mandate an 8 hr class yearly with live fire qualification. They already do it for armed security and armored car personnel. The training is private but done by MD Police Training Comission Instructors if I remember correctly. An 8 hr class will run $125 a year. Its not funded by the State, the instructors are state certified.

You hit it on the head.

Let's see what they do. If they ar truly concerned about safety our opinion will matter. If they want more restrictions, we're looking at a fight.

An argument can be made that too great a training requirement would disenfranchise the right from those who need it most. Frankly, the upper-middle class professional would meet the requirement in a heartbeat. We got time and money - or at least enough to do this.

The poor and minority groups are the ones who will have the highest burden. If the state thinks we won't make a hell of noise over that - and be joined by many other non-traditional gun voices - they are nuts. Once you start portioning a civil right, you are open the door to a real shit storm.

Keep in mind Maryland is the first place in the United States where a federal court has recognized this as a true civil right. This is not a legislative question anymore. The legislature and state politicians restrict civil rights at their political great risk. We won't let them deny rights to the poor or to minorities - we will make sure everyone knows who in the state is behind the violations.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    And they will burn those days trying to raise the sales tax for Owemalley. :sad20:

The best we can hope for is for them to be gridlocked and accomplish nothing. The best government is the one that governs least... I'd prefer that to be because they want to maximize liberty but I will accept it when it happens because neither side will concede.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    You hit it on the head.

Let's see what they do. If they ar truly concerned about safety our opinion will matter. If they want more restrictions, we're looking at a fight.

An argument can be made that too great a training requirement would disenfranchise the right from those who need it most. Frankly, the upper-middle class professional would meet the requirement in a heartbeat. We got time and money - or at least enough to do this.

The poor and minority groups are the ones who will have the highest burden. If the state thinks we won't make a hell of noise over that - and be joined by many other non-traditional gun voices - they are nuts. Once you start portioning a civil right, you are open the door to a real shit storm.

Keep in mind Maryland is the first place in the United States where a federal court has recognized this as a true civil right. This is not a legislative question anymore. The legislature and state politicians restrict civil rights at their political great risk. We won't let them deny rights to the poor or to minorities - we will make sure everyone knows who in the state is behind the violations.

While this may seem like a very logical statement aren't the people that we are going to protect, the same ones that elect the people that they need protection from?? Will they even make that connection??? Or when they go to vote will they just do what they have always done and look for the guy/gal with the "D" next their name and vote while not knowing anything else about them?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    While this may seem like a very logical statement aren't the people that we are going to protect, the same ones that elect the people that they need protection from?? Will they even make that connection??? Or when they go to vote will they just do what they have always done and look for the guy/gal with the "D" next their name and vote while not knowing anything else about them?

I don't want to go too far into detail, but we've been working on that since the case came down. We're not moving as fast as we want - surprise, we've had some external delays caused by those opposed to our work - but we pushed things back where they needed to be. Mostly.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

I got my Utah last year (November time frame) and it was not a requirement then. If it is now, it has changed very recently.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Guaranteed that's the logic they are using I agree 100%. But as others have pointed out Pennsylvania does not require that. Hell that video I had to watch to buy a regulated firearm is training. . If there is an additional training requirements then every single active MD permit should be voided until proof was given of training. Only fair right ?

Realistically there is no way Maryland who is fighting tooth and nail right now will open the flood gates even after they are told to. "Jack" Omalley will pull something out of his pocket ..its for the children. We will have to play the game, it could go either 2 ways, Chicago / DC style laws where one has to go hoop after hoop or something like Virginia's permit process, fill out one sheet of paper show you have had training show you are not a criminal and call it a day.

I stand corrected. I thought PA had the hunter training class requirement, or something ridiculously simple.

Interesting....

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I just called :
    Andi Morony
    Chief of Staff
    Delegate Michael D. Smigiel, Sr

Her statement was from the floor of the house that a MSP requirement.
    I don't think anything is final, just talking points. Stand by for news gentlemen.

JMHO, why can't the Maryland safety video and or Military ID card or CCW permit from another state conisdered as training. We don't need another live fire certification!
    edit: How about NRA RSO cert and NRA handgun instructor cert.!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom