• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    SAF files Suit in Illinois over Right to Carry, NRA does the Same. Friday the 13th!

http://www.facebook.com/notes/secon...rying-guns-for-self-defense/10150580016020247

SAF SUES ILLINOIS OVER BAN ON CARRYING GUNS FOR SELF-DEFENSE
    by Second Amendment Foundation on Friday, May 13, 2011 at 7:19am

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation has filed suit in federal court in Illinois, challenging the state’s complete prohibition on the carrying of firearms in public for the purpose of self-defense.

The lawsuit alleges that Illinois statutes that completely ban the carrying of handguns for self-defense are “inconsistent with the Second Amendment.” Joining SAF are two private citizens, Michael Moore of Champaign and Charles Hooks of Percy. Named as defendants are Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan and State Police Superintendent Patrick Keen. SAF is represented by attorneys David Jensen and David Sigale. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois.

“Illinois is currently the only state in the country that imposes a complete prohibition on the carrying of firearms for personal protection by its citizens,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. “The state legislature recently stopped, by a thin margin, a concealed carry measure. After the 2008 Heller ruling and last year’s McDonald ruling against the City of Chicago that incorporated the Second Amendment to the states, one would think that Illinois lawmakers would act quickly to comply with court decisions and the constitution.”

“Illinois is the only state in the country that completely prohibits its citizens from carrying guns for self-defense,” Jensen added. “It is incredible that this situation has persisted even in light of the Supreme Court’s rulings in Heller and McDonald, and we look forward to vindicating the rights of the people of Illinois.”

The lawsuit insists this case is not an attempt to force Illinois into some regulatory scheme, but only to clarify that the state’s current regulatory ban on firearms carry is impermissible under the Second Amendment.

“Every other state has some kind of regulatory scenario,” Gottlieb noted. “Even in Wisconsin, where there is no concealed carry statute, the state attorney general has recognized that open carry is legal. Only Illinois makes it statutorily impossible for average private citizens to carry firearms for self-defense.

“Whether Illinois lawmakers like it or not,” he added, “the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is the law of the land. A complete prohibition simply does not pass constitutional muster. The state cannot stick it’s head in the sand and pretend this problem does not exist..”

A feel another C-note slipping out of my pocket. I have a LOT or roots in IL in general, Chicago in particular.

:party29:

Last edited:

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    SAF: When you absolutely have to sue every m**********r on the map.

I'm guessing by this being filed that the legislative attempts are failing, or this to make it a win one way or the other.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    They didn't get the super majority?

You can read/feel the frustration on Illinois Carry from the last week. Quite a few of them Attorneys. This suit is no surprise to the 2A folks in IL.

Here's a very entertaining 5-page thread on Illinois Carry starting last week after the bill didn't gain the needed votes: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25970

Many of you will recognize some of the players there: Gray, Lawsons (McDonald Plaintiffs), the story behind getting Otis McDonald for Gura in '07(McDonald), etc.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    What do gravity and the SAF have in common?

You can't block either of them from working :)

jpr9954

Oct 22, 2010
    Western North Carolina
    WTF? There's a Shepard v. Madigan as well? 05FLHT...as our resident 'Land of Lincoln' rep, what's up? ISRA and another group going different directions or was this planned/intentional?

Very, very strange.

I'm thinking it was intentional. ISRA, though the NRA state org, tends to work hand in hand with SAF. See, e.g., McDonald v. Chicago and Ezell v. Chicago.

The NRA filed in the Southern District of Illinois while SAF filed in the Central District of Illinois. The judge in the SAF case, Judge Sue Myersclough, is the same one that was newly assigned to the Mishaga case.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    anybody else love the fact that one of the plaintiffs is named "Michael Moore" ?? :D
    Yep, I love the irony but I still vomit a little every time I see/hear that name. I'm sure that the plaintiff is a decent guy despite his unfortunate namesake.

05FLHT

Jan 14, 2011
    ISRA and another group going different directions or was this planned/intentional?

Very, very strange.

I dunno. Our NRA lobbyist, Todd Vandermyde, seemed 'frustrated' that the SAF filed suit. Although, somebody from the SAF joined up on illinoiscarry and posted the following -

Hello everyone and thank you for your support!

We just wanted to jump in with two responses to issues posed here:

2. Regarding NRA: Our attorneys spent many hours talking with NRA in recent days.

Either way, I'm not complaining. It's about dang time the screws got put on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom