• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    Been shooting my new Sig P320 9mm. I ordered it with factory installed night sights.
    I'm not liking them in the daylight. I picked up another pistol w/ the standard 3-dot and "WOW"! They are so much easier to line up.
    The night sites are almost a dull translucent dot. So they don't stand out like a bright white dot.
    I paid extra for these sights. So I hate to swap them out.
    Does anybody else have this situation? Did you get used to the night sites or did you change them? :cool:

Last edited:

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a few thousand rounds through my 320 with the Sig night sights. I have no issues with them. Shoot IDPA matches regularly and they line up just fine for me.

I know when I first got the gun the sights were filled with crud and I had to take a patch on the end of a plastic pick and clean out the dots on the sights. Maybe yours need cleaning? Or you need to get used to them?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well, I hate 3 dot sights, and can hang with plain black, so what do I know. But I googled up images of the factory night sights.

I am presuming you wish a more eyecatching front sight for daytime use. On present front sight paint/ use nail polish on the black portions of face of front sight, either white or bright color of your choice.

Yeah, it's kinda subtle, but pretty much your only option short of replacing. If it makes it somewhat acceptable to you, great. If not, the effort didn't cost you much, and you can confidently proceed to replace with aftermarket sights.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    May I suggest a set of Truglo TFX's. Combination of sealed fiber optic and tritium. Much brighter than the Sig/Meprolights when its dark and they really pop in the daylight. I have three sets. Obviously I am a fan.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I have to agree with the OP, sig night sights don't do it for me. I've been trying to get used to them on my p320 but just can't seem to find them easily for followup shots. I changed the ones on the p229 for the "von stavenhagen" two dot sights that used to come on sigs. I seem to pick those up easier in the daytime. I've been looking at other options for the p320 but don't want to pull the trigger on another set of night sights and find out I don't like them. I did fondle a p229 legion and found the sig x-ray sights to be easy to pick up but I haven't had a chance to shoot anything other the the standard sig night sights.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Night sights contain a vial mounted in the sight with a clear lens capping it, so instead of a solid white dot, it's small rings that aren't quite as bright in the day, part of the tradeoff for superior low-light visibility. There really isn't much gained from increasing daytime visibility of the rear sight, it can easily be distracting, and takes away from a front dot, so subtle night sight dots are actually a good thing for the rear IMO. For the front, you can measure the height, or find the sight number.
    #5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)
    #6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)
    #7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)
    #8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)
    #9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)
    #10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)
    Then pick an Ameriglo pro-glo front sight of the same size, provided it hit to POA, or choose another sight to change the POI about 1" per step at 25 yards. The large bright ring on the front basically gives you the Sig X-ray sight setup for $50, probably the best all around combat sight picture for day or night. Fiber optic front sights would be a bit brighter in daylight, but lacking tritium, and the light tube requiring replacement from time to time make it less than ideal for defense.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    There is no point to seeing your sights in the dark if you can't identify or see your target. An illuminated target will silhouette the sights so you can hit it. For self-defense use a flashlight in your off hand, not on a rail so the bad guy can't use it as a target. For competition, night sights are worthless. To me they're nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    May I suggest a set of Truglo TFX's. Combination of sealed fiber optic and tritium. Much brighter than the Sig/Meprolights when its dark and they really pop in the daylight. I have three sets. Obviously I am a fan.

Agreed on the Truglo sites. I have a SIG P229 that came from the factory with a standard set of rear nite sights, but a Truglo TFX front sight. That thing is like magic.

If I ever have to replace sights on my other pistols, it'll likely be with a Truglo.

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    There is no point to seeing your sights in the dark if you can't identify or see your target. An illuminated target will silhouette the sights so you can hit it. For self-defense use a flashlight in your off hand, not on a rail so the bad guy can't use it as a target. For competition, night sights are worthless. To me they're nothing but a marketing gimmick.

BINGO!
    My gun shop kinda talked me into it and I agreed w/o researching it. $75 down the drain.

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    Agreed on the Truglo sites. I have a SIG P229 that came from the factory with a standard set of rear nite sights, but a Truglo TFX front sight. That thing is like magic.

If I ever have to replace sights on my other pistols, it'll likely be with a Truglo.

Thanks
    I'll check them out.
    Would you suggest I change all of mine?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

There is almost nothing in this post that is right.

Night sights are very valuable. They provide a chance to have the gun up and ready to use before making a decision to fire.

Now illumination will wash out most night sights yes but you can momentarily flash and reacquire them.

Now as far as flashlight on gun or no. Flashlight on gun is better. If it wasn't the vast majority of LE, Mil, and armed citizens wouldn't be using them. With off hand you have 3 main options Harries, FBI and neck index.
    The fear that propogates this bad information is that "the bad guy will shoot at the light".
    With the Harries the light is only 1-2" off where ot would be on the gun.
    With the neck index its farther away but next to your face so prolly not the best idea.
    With the FBI it's roughly 3 feet away with the caveat that this light technique sucks for illumination, fatigue, and most people slap triggers and pull shots low left so it's kind of like saying "I don't want just a shit sandwich, I want the shit sandwich that gets my picture on the wall."

Night sights aren't meant for competition so that's a non starter.

I second Gryphon on the 100% recommendation of the Truglo TFX Pro.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Night sights do have a purpose. Any number of scenarios where previously identified target is visable in relfected or ambient light, but the defender is in enough shadow to have difficulty in seeing the sights.

Flashlight techniques are inherently controversial. ( There are even more possible techniques than Mopar listed.) Frankly any and all flashlight techniques inherently have major downsides. Bottom line is that light discipline is more critical than the specific technique of holding ( or mounting) the light.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    "Night" doesn't just mean completely dark, there are various degrees of ambient, projected and reflected light. It's rare that we are in total darkness, and while night sights would still be visible, that isn't their intended purpose. They provide a reference point to line sights up faster, as all sights with colored inlays do, but do so in a much wider range of conditions than painted or FO inserts do. You don't really get an appreciation till you shoot in low-light, or attend a low-light class, the techniques aren't as obvious as you might think. As far as lights, weapon mount vs handheld, the best answer is both. With any light, conserving use, and having a few techniques that fit, with enough training and practice will give advantages that far outweigh the drawbacks.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, could be worse. Could have spent more money on an uncomfortable laser grip that reinforces any bad habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom