• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    That will save you the $10 parking fee. So it's worth flashing it at the gate if you park in their lot.

And yes, weekdays are a lot better than weekends. It's a lot easier to move around and talk with the vendors.

I'm hoping to visit the Ken Penrod booth, for some upper Potomac fishing.

Not sure what day I'm going yet, but Cabelas is a good side trip, and Troegs brewery in Hershey is just a few minutes off of Rt. 81, and always a great stop for some food and brew. Always worth bringing a growler there.

I would go to Shyda's in Lebanon and Richland's in Richland before going to Cabela's. Especially if you're looking for reloading supplies. Both places helped me get through the powder shortage. It all depends on what you're looking for. Another option is Trop in Elizabethtown.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Any opening day reports?

The morning was bearable, the afternoon was a huge mass of people.

We were able to accomplish our mission researching the outfitters and now the Mrs and I get to decide who we want to book a trip with.

Picked up a couple of stun guns cheap in the northern outdoor life exhibition hall.

The archery hall had plenty of interesting new technologies.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I would go to Shyda's in Lebanon and Richland's in Richland before going to Cabela's. Especially if you're looking for reloading supplies. Both places helped me get through the powder shortage. It all depends on what you're looking for. Another option is Trop in Elizabethtown.

+1 on Shyda's and Richland's. Cabela's has never had the same stocks of powder and primers nor has it ever been cheaper.

Thanks! I have a local shop, Buck's in Lehighton, that has always been well stocked with powder and primers, even the lean years. So I'm good for a while with reloading components. But I'll check those places out if I'm in the area. I still visit Cabelas a few times a year, as I usually have a few gift cards to use up, and you can't beat free.

I'll be hitting up the show hopefully on Friday, maybe Saturday depending on work.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Just got home, went up in Friday night and did the weekend. Sat was insanely busy at the opening of the show but it thinned out a little by late afternoon. Today was better but still a little busy until about 2-3.

Lots of cool stuff, I could stay in the shooting sports room all day. Was a little disappointed in smith and Wesson, the new mp2.0 is very cool, but I think the grips are to aggressive for many. Felt like sandpaper, coarse sandpaper. My disappointment was due to them having a bunch of the same pistols, but not much variety. HOWEVER I will be ordering a shield in 45 ASAP, quite sweet.

I am more impressed with Sig every time I see them and talk to the reps. I have only ever shot smith and Wesson, but I'm not sure I like the direction they are going. The third gens were great guns. Sigs all metal offerings are top of the line and the 320 polymer is a great concept with the changeable everything. My biggest concern is I know the first sig I buy won't be the last, but it I might be time to try something different.

Freedom munitions was,as always, nice to talk to and deal with. I mean new ammo in 9mm for 9.00 a box of 50....... Geez. I bought a few in diff cal. To try out.

Got my first steel plate, good price for a 10" at 25 bucks. Hope to hear Many DINGS from it.

Was great to hang and talk with some nice folks. Amazing thing is with all those guns, and shotguns, and rifles, even black scary ones, no one got hurt. Hmmmmmmm....... Quite a few open carry folks too.

Check it out if you can, I might even go back next weekend. We should have hats or something so we can identify each other, maybe a secret handshake.....

TD

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We just got home from the show. We always go up Sunday night and do Monday & Tuesday as weekends are impossibly crowded.

Summary:
    1. Had an overall great time looking at all the stuff, sleeping late and eating way too much.
    2. Got some handgun magazines at great prices.
    3. Scored a well made holster belt "blemished" such that I couldn't tell what the blemish was, for $35.00.
    4. Caught up & chatted with the Africa outfitter we used.
    5. Settled on a hog hunt outfitter
    6. Found what we think are two great Wyoming guides
    EDIT: forgot to mention I met and shook hands with the guys of the USAMU. They took some time to show me some of the match rifles they use. I told them my thing was service rifle and we had a brief discussion on the new scope rule. They thought it was cool I was still trying to compete with iron sights; maybe they were just being polite. Anyway it was nice being in the presence of greatness.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Just got home, very cool and well worth doing show. Really blows anything gun show related out of the water. We walked the firearms building three time and the rest once. Talked to a ton of factory reps and handled far too many firearms. Bought a 80% lower off Precision Firearms and a stock kit from Daniel Defense. $10 to park, $14 for adults to get in,$3 hot dog and $4.25 large soda. We got there at 10:30 and parked on site 200 yards from the door. Tons of free swag, Magpul guy gave us a hat while we were talking to them about different AR parts. PSA is there with all their current gun kits built. Taylors is there with the historic remakes as were others. Oh yeah, pickled up 500 rounds of once fired .223 for $130.

The rest of the show was pretty meh, but the firearms section felt like something from the SHOT show.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    As others mentioned, fun to walk around and take in the sights. Fondled quite a few 1911s and chatted with Taylor's. expensive lever actions, but I'll be placing an order soon. That 1873 comanchero with the slicked action is a dream to cycle.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Went today with the wife. Her first time,I've gone since the NRA took over. She was surprised at how big it is, that is what she said and not the first time ;) she held a few handguns and some compact SGs. Then off to campers and stuff. I always restock my catalog supply.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The main hall,firearms,is sweet. Magpul is always very generous with swag. Sig Sauer too. I'm surprised at some that don't show up. Springfield and glock. Ruger. No Savage this year, I didn't see them.

Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    Would i be able to walk the show with my scar 17 firearm for sale? I wanted to go to nations to try to sell it but would like to catch the outdoor show.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Would i be able to walk the show with my scar 17 firearm for sale? I wanted to go to nations to try to sell it but would like to catch the outdoor show.

No, this is not a gun show.

Firearms sales on site is prohibited, they have to be finished at another location.

If you have a carry permit that is recognized by PA, you can Conceal carry.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    I was there on Super Bowl Sunday and it was pretty cool. I was a little disappointed Savage wasn't there, Also not a lot of scope manufacturers.

It's a nice day of sight seeing though.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Was there all day yesterday and saw a lot of good stuff. Got some good deals on some bags I needed. A little sad I didn't see the one vender I was looking for but that's ok. Biggest surprise for me was paul sr. from occ was there signing autographs and not charging for em. I wasn't to concerned about him but my dad had to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom