• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    For the love of all that is holy do not become an automotive mechanic. Good luck with your service.

Haha I don't plan on it, but I enjoy working on my car and helping family/friends with theirs. Its not very difficult and makes sense to me. I figured working a bit in a mechanic shop would give me some practical knowledge I can use with my own cars and such. Sooner or later I want to drop a Coyote in my 06 Mustang.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    :thumbsup:

I can vouch for that (spent 5 years in Recon). When I left at the end of my enlistment, I went to college and chose to major in the one subject I failed in high school (chemistry). I graduated with a 3.9 GPA. I studied HARD, but it felt easy.

You probably already know this, but make sure you are doing some form of HIIT, and not just running for time. It helps immensely (with 'short distance' times in particular). And for the love of everything holy...hit the pool. You can run like an antelope, but the pool at BRC is a man killer. Start swimming laps with towels in your hands or something.

And if you're looking to stay busy, and money is not a HUGE issue, consider volunteer work while look for something else.

Good Luck, and drive on!

I plan on becoming a fish as I get closer to BRC. I've always been a decent swimmer, but will do laps and different exercises as the time nears. I vary my runs from 1-3.5 miles, I change up the intensity as well. Been hitting the gym 5 or so days a week for the past 4 years. I've been able to apply a lot of that knowledge into my running and gaining endurance.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    OP: Best of luck. Be sure you get what you're looking for when you enlist. When I was in, you had to run a qual put on by the separate units of either Recon, Force Recon or Scout Snipers. I couldn't do the pack swim for sniper school but that was at my infantry battalion level put on by our own STA teams, I never even got to the official school quals. My understanding is that all you get from a recruiter for special teams is a guarantee of a qualification slot, not a guaranteed entry into a team. Then again this was the mid 1990s while they were still killing pilots figuring out the Osprey so I imagine much has changed.

You appear to have the drive to make it, I hope you can continue on your path and keep the sand out. I turned 21 in boot camp and was the guide till I busted a leg and had to rehab for 2 months. You don't need to go in completely fresh-faced and a little experience in the real world helps you deal with the mind games of boot camp. Semper Fi!

Signing a recon contract just gurantees a slot in BRC. You can volunteer after or during SOI I think but the chances of you getting into BRC are slim. Pretty sure if you don't make it when signed on Recon that you fall back as open contract. So I definitely want to be in as good of shape as I possibly can before entering. Already cutting some
    weight, cleaned up diet a bit more, down around 8lbs.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    You sound like a kid that has his head screwed on straight ( a rarity these days ) if your interested in welding and not scared of hard and heavy work sometimes at heights shoot me a PM. We are located in Howard County.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Moose, give me a call at my shop some time or PM on here. My assistant if going to be out for knee surgery for about 2 months and may need some help while he is out. We're located in Baltimore County

Fork Auto Service
    410-592-8243
    www.ForkAuto.com

Gary has cool toys. Go to work for him before you join up.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Haha I don't plan on it, but I enjoy working on my car and helping family/friends with theirs. Its not very difficult and makes sense to me. I figured working a bit in a mechanic shop would give me some practical knowledge I can use with my own cars and such. Sooner or later I want to drop a Coyote in my 06 Mustang.

I'm 24 years old been involved professionally in the auto repair business for 8 years. I have about $15,000 worth of tools and storage. Every week I give roughly $150 away to my tool guys and Sears. It's not a job that I recommend to anyone especially a young man. Avoid flat rate if at all possible. You're going to drop $300 for a good starter kit at Sears, then add in air ratchets, impact gun, and a few other air tools. Add in a GOOD pair of boots ($200ish) and you see its a losing proposition. Especially if you get suckered into flat rate, all the old guys will shovel the shít jobs on you while they make bank on brake jobs and services. Even worse if you're not at a dealer and don't get to focus on just one brand of car (for the most part). Focus on the USMC and your future.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I'm 24 years old been involved professionally in the auto repair business for 8 years. I have about $15,000 worth of tools and storage. Every week I give roughly $150 away to my tool guys and Sears. It's not a job that I recommend to anyone especially a young man. Avoid flat rate if at all possible. You're going to drop $300 for a good starter kit at Sears, then add in air ratchets, impact gun, and a few other air tools. Add in a GOOD pair of boots ($200ish) and you see its a losing proposition. Especially if you get suckered into flat rate, all the old guys will shovel the shít jobs on you while they make bank on brake jobs and services. Even worse if you're not at a dealer and don't get to focus on just one brand of car (for the most part). Focus on the USMC and your future.

Yeah. I wouldn't make a career out of it. I have enough tools to get me by. They make a lot on brakes? Brakes are easy but i'd be weary to offer up brake jobs without a shops insurance.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah. I wouldn't make a career out of it. I have enough tools to get me by. They make a lot on brakes? Brakes are easy but i'd be weary to offer up brake jobs without a shops insurance.

Brakes are dámn near guaranteed money makers, quick, easy peasy and with modern cars most of the time its just replace everything very few cars get rotors machined. The only issues you face on brakes are caliper/hose related, cheap parts and the e-brakes that are inside rear rotors.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    :thumbsup:

And for the love of everything holy...hit the pool. You can run like an antelope, but the pool at BRC is a man killer. Start swimming laps with towels in your hands or something.

I'll vouch for that. I thought I was a strong swimmer having grown up on the Mississippi and spending a lot of my childhood in lakes , creeks, the big river, and pools. Heck , we even had an Olympic pool in High School for Phy Ed. I tell ya, treading water in full BDU w/ boots is a hell of a lot harder than it looks. I was one of the three selected from AIT to try out for the Scout Platoon as we had perfect PT scores. Stayed in for my entire enlistment.

How the once mighty has fallen.....

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Brakes are dámn near guaranteed money makers, quick, easy peasy and with modern cars most of the time its just replace everything very few cars get rotors machined. The only issues you face on brakes are caliper/hose related, cheap parts and the e-brakes that are inside rear rotors.

Yeah tell me about it. I remember when I first started doing them I was shocked at how simple they were. I had to replace my rear right and left ebrake cables. They were seized up and barely moved. Work fine now.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I'll vouch for that. I thought I was a strong swimmer having grown up on the Mississippi and spending a lot of my childhood in lakes , creeks, the big river, and pools. Heck , we even had an Olympic pool in High School for Phy Ed. I tell ya, treading water in full BDU w/ boots is a hell of a lot harder than it looks. I was one of the three selected from AIT to try out for the Scout Platoon as we had perfect PT scores. Stayed in for my entire enlistment.

How the once mighty has fallen.....

I'll have to grab some heavy clothes and boots and go hop in a lake. Swam in regular clothes before, bdus are probably heavier though.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    If you are looking to be recon running is great but swimming gets overlooked. You need a first class swim qual which can be hard

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    I'll have to grab some heavy clothes and boots and go hop in a lake. Swam in regular clothes before, bdus are probably heavier though.

Something like that can go south real quick. Do make sure you are using the buddy system. Just go to a pool you can touch bottom on to be safer and get used to the added drag. As mentioned , towels or other items you can drop is better. low weight diver belt would be perfect if the pool doesn't allow clothing. can increase weight as you get stronger. AGAIN , BUDDY system. We damn near lost a team member in Pakistan crossing a fast flow river, he was a muscle monster and water wasn't his friend. Another member was able to see the trouble and assist. It's the endurance that gets you, takes a lot more effort to stay up and you tire a hell of a lot quicker.

*edited to add emphasis - stay away from the lake. 5cary is right. Can not emphasis enough how dangerous that is. Reread my post , the wording almost sounded like I was saying the lake is ok, which wasn't my intent. I fix'd it. Safety above everything else.

Last edited:

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Something like that can go south real quick.

This. This. And more this.

If you are doing this in open water and by yourself, you CANNOT work out hard enough to make the difference you need to make without putting yourself in danger. You want to really push it? Exhaustion in the water can come on fast. So can shallow water blackout. And if you don't push your self to the very brink, the pool at BRC will shock you. Everyone that gets there is already a first class swimmer (Officially tested), and they *still* tap out in less than an hour.

Find a pool with a life guard, or a friend strong enough to drag you out. If that's how you'll train.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Something like that can go south real quick. Do make sure you are using the buddy system. Just go to a pool you can touch bottom on to be safer and get used to the added drag. As mentioned , towels or other items you can drop is better. low weight diver belt would be perfect if the pool doesn't allow clothing. can increase weight as you get stronger. AGAIN , BUDDY system. We damn near lost a team member in Pakistan crossing a fast flow river, he was a muscle monster and water wasn't his friend. Another member was able to see the trouble and assist. It's the endurance that gets you, takes a lot more effort to stay up and you tire a hell of a lot quicker.

*edited to add emphasis - stay away from the lake. 5cary is right. Can not emphasis enough how dangerous that is. Reread my post , the wording almost sounded like I was saying the lake is ok, which wasn't my intent. I fix'd it. Safety above everything else.

Aunt an uncle got a pool, I can work around a decent bit in there

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Short runs are good, but you need to run longer distances to cut your time. 1-3.5 miles is training your body to run the event with enough left in the tank for another half mile. It won't be enough. To cut time for the 2 mile run on the APFT, we used to run between 3-5 miles four times a week. One of those runs was an Indian run and sprints on the fifth day. Don't train to the event distance, train beyond it.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Short runs are good, but you need to run longer distances to cut your time. 1-3.5 miles is training your body to run the event with enough left in the tank for another half mile. It won't be enough. To cut time for the 2 mile run on the APFT, we used to run between 3-5 miles four times a week. One of those runs was an Indian run and sprints on the fifth day. Don't train to the event distance, train beyond it.

Right, But I can't forget about the actual qual. Once I get down to an acceptable time I can start going further and beyond. Only been running regularly for 1.5-2 months now. If I went out right now I'd have a lotta trouble just making it to 5 miles. My cardio is my biggest weakness.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    If your interested in some carpentry work, I have a large renovation project on marriotsville rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom