• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Hey all, I'm looking for oddjobs, part time, or full time jobs. I'm a highschool grad, have worked on cars, electronics, can do some detailing on cars, headlight restoration with oxidized lens, worked multiple food service jobs, and am in need of a job. I'm in woodstock MD but willing to drive.

Would prefer some sort of mechanic job at a shop if anyones willing to hire me. No formal education, but I've never had my car taken to the shop. I've done brakes, trans fluid/filter, spark plugs, wiring lights and seats (basic adding power, ground, inline fuse), replacing lights, radios, fuel filter, whole rear ends, exhaust work, suspension parts, tapped and helicoiled spark plugs, replaced engine sensors, and diagnosed issues.

Some detailing work i've done
    c890e1c48cf2a0fce9e3c5027fe29d9c.jpg
    e76ac5626a5c58eda05e4a9bb4c99e64.jpg
    8454c63f5dc0b50b5c6473a7c3409960.jpg
    795678a447527bcdd00cf6b21d0fa662.jpg
    ca5f0c574ec9c360d34f771151857e05.png
    480b14e643aa1767f25e4451770ecb6b.png

Headlights
    0e97246805428a09977b4a3a512879d7.jpg
    c8f29ebde4bc241461db819d9a7e7f4f.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good luck! Based on your "Zastava PAP M90NP" thread (and success in getting the state to approve its purchase in writing), you're someone who will take the initiative.

Last edited:

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Then do it.... Why wait, start on the next chapter in your life...

What he said :thumbsup: Service is a great life experience. So many options and branches to choose. I chose Army planning it to be a one term gig. I also purposely chose 11B Infantry, knowing that as a comp sci guy (college prior to enlistment), I would be behind a desk all my life and wanted to do fun stuff while my body and mind was able and willing. See Avatar :)

Our Battalion Commander and chain of command on down was fantastic. Work hard, play hard mentality. While the unit was in garrison duty, he was a commander who if he saw you in BDU's after 4pm, you better be on duty or he had the entire chain of command in his office ripping them apart. Spoke to privates like one of the guys. Moral was off the charts, we won every competition on base. Leadership. An amazing man. Almost re-upped due to him.... then

We had a change of command, which is standard. We got a REMF who only cared about his career. FSG who hated his wife and would make us stand around re-sweeping hallways till 9pm at night for no reason. Talk about polar opposites. Moral crashed, everyone did the 'private' routine when given orders. The pvt routine is essentially something like if your told to sweep the hall, you sweep, but you don't really give the effort to do it right, just keep sweeping dirt around. Our unit was also rebadged during that time, I refuse to accept I was part of it and keep the former unit crest close to heart.

So in my short 3 year rotation, I got an amazing diversity of life experience that truly set me up to succeed in my civy career, more than college ever did. :) Just remember, during the crap times, it is always just a temporary thing, remember that and it'll help you get through the tough times.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I left home at 17, had my 18th birthday in boot camp. I was going nowhere fast as a cashier in a pizza restaurant and zero intentions of college at that time. Best damn thing I could do for myself.

14702426_10155232159964881_7868433623947165414_n.jpg

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Then do it.... Why wait, start on the next chapter in your life...

Because I want to enlist for a recon contract with marines but cant run a 18 min 3 mile just yet. I think recon would be a lot more of a challenge for me than infantry. Been running weekly. Its not that I don't have the balls to go in right now. Got a couple personal things to take care of as well.

Thanks for all the advice, but if I want to make it into recon I have to get that 3mile down to at least 20 min by boot camp. I can knock 2 off through there and the time until BRC.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    Moose, give me a call at my shop some time or PM on here. My assistant if going to be out for knee surgery for about 2 months and may need some help while he is out. We're located in Baltimore County

Fork Auto Service
    410-592-8243
    www.ForkAuto.com

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    What about the Air Force? :D

Because saying "I became a Marine" has always sounded a hell of a lot better. Honestly if we were in an actual war I could see myself going that route. Thought about Airborne as well.

I think Recon will allow me to really challenge myself on a whole other level. If I can get through that I can make it through anything in life. It would give me a good entry point to possibly get into higher tier groups if that became my goal. Right now just looking to do my 4 years, maybe more, then move on to a career.

I'll let you know once I've signed off on something. Assuming I can knock about a minute off my 3 mile time each month I'll be set to enlist around June.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Because saying "I became a Marine" has always sounded a hell of a lot better. Honestly if we were in an actual war I could see myself going that route. Thought about Airborne as well.

I think Recon will allow me to really challenge myself on a whole other level. If I can get through that I can make it through anything in life. It would give me a good entry point to possibly get into higher tier groups if that became my goal. Right now just looking to do my 4 years, maybe more, then move on to a career.

I'll let you know once I've signed off on something. Assuming I can knock about a minute off my 3 mile time each month I'll be set to enlist around June.

I've never been in the service, but if you are going in just so you can say "I became a Marine" then perhaps you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Ever heard of Audie Murphy? If not, I suggest you look him up. Regardless, best of luck.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I've never been in the service, but if you are going in just so you can say "I became a Marine" then perhaps you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Ever heard of Audie Murphy? If not, I suggest you look him up. Regardless, best of luck.

That was more or less a joke. If anyone wants my full reasons for enlisting in the marines I can do that, but this was more or less a thread for me to find a job lol.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I think Recon will allow me to really challenge myself on a whole other level. If I can get through that I can make it through anything in life.

:thumbsup:

I can vouch for that (spent 5 years in Recon). When I left at the end of my enlistment, I went to college and chose to major in the one subject I failed in high school (chemistry). I graduated with a 3.9 GPA. I studied HARD, but it felt easy.

You probably already know this, but make sure you are doing some form of HIIT, and not just running for time. It helps immensely (with 'short distance' times in particular). And for the love of everything holy...hit the pool. You can run like an antelope, but the pool at BRC is a man killer. Start swimming laps with towels in your hands or something.

And if you're looking to stay busy, and money is not a HUGE issue, consider volunteer work while look for something else.

Good Luck, and drive on!

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    OP: Best of luck. Be sure you get what you're looking for when you enlist. When I was in, you had to run a qual put on by the separate units of either Recon, Force Recon or Scout Snipers. I couldn't do the pack swim for sniper school but that was at my infantry battalion level put on by our own STA teams, I never even got to the official school quals. My understanding is that all you get from a recruiter for special teams is a guarantee of a qualification slot, not a guaranteed entry into a team. Then again this was the mid 1990s while they were still killing pilots figuring out the Osprey so I imagine much has changed.

You appear to have the drive to make it, I hope you can continue on your path and keep the sand out. I turned 21 in boot camp and was the guide till I busted a leg and had to rehab for 2 months. You don't need to go in completely fresh-faced and a little experience in the real world helps you deal with the mind games of boot camp. Semper Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom