• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Worked up a great 9.3x57 load for my Husqvarna rifle (Thanks SeaBee). Was ecstatic to get a 0.68" group at 100 yards with the 79 year old rifle shooting 270grain Speers!

After firing, the shoulder moved down about 0.005". Interesting part is the shoulder moved down, yet they loaded easily into the chamber. No additional force required and the chamber did not feel tight at all. Any theories?

Brass is hard to find and expensive so I would like to Neck Resize only since the load is to be fired in this one gun exclusively. Since I mostly reload for Handguns and the AR, I have always full-length resized. For this Bolt Action, I would like to neck resize only. I have Hornady Signature Series Rifle dies. The way I understand Neck Resizing is I back the sizing die off a little bit so the die doesn't bump the shoulder.

Question is how to determine the correct amount to back the die off to only Neck Resize?

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I use an RCBS neck resized die for my .308 and .243 bolt rifle. I just resized it up to the shoulder. That's easy to see. If you use standard dies you will Squeeze the case down. That's why they make dedicated neck sizing dies.

Last edited:

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Worked up a great 9.3x57 load for my Husqvarna rifle (Thanks SeaBee). Was ecstatic to get a 0.68" group at 100 yards with the 79 year old rifle shooting 270grain Speers!

After firing, the shoulder moved down about 0.005". Interesting part is the shoulder moved down, yet they loaded easily into the chamber. No additional force required and the chamber did not feel tight at all. Any theories?

Brass is hard to find and expensive so I would like to Neck Resize only since the load is to be fired in this one gun exclusively. Since I mostly reload for Handguns and the AR, I have always full-length resized. For this Bolt Action, I would like to neck resize only. I have Hornady Signature Series Rifle dies. The way I understand Neck Resizing is I back the sizing die off a little bit so the die doesn't bump the shoulder.

Question is how to determine the correct amount to back the die off to only Neck Resize?

A dedicated die is best, but you CAN do it that way with your regular dies. I do that with 303 British.

I just size the neck about 3/4 of the way down, enough to give me enough neck tension but be sure I'm not hitting the shoulder at all. This has worked well and no problems with function but that's the only rifle I've tried that on, and they have very generous chambers. YMMV

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By all means persue neck sizing for it's inherent advantages. But brass is not hard to come by .

The 9.3x57 is simply the 8x57 necked up to .366 Sith no other changes. ( For that matter 7x57, .257Roberts, and 6mm Rem , but 8x57 donor brass will neck up with fewest steps .)

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I just necked up 8x57 when I got my Husky years ago. One straight shot from 8 to 9.3 in the Hornady dies.
    I adjust the die to just size down to the junction of the neck and shoulder so as not to push the shoulder back any.
    C-H 4D does make a .366 neck sizer die. It's about $67 though. So I just adjust my regular full length sizing die.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You will not over work the brass if you adjust your full length sizing die properly.

For a bolt rifle, adjust to set the shoulder back 1-2 thousandths.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    In regards to the OP's original question, I think the best option is to use a dedicated neck sizing die. I'd recommend the Lee Collet die...they're Lee so many people stay away from them due to it being inexpensive and not a "premier" brand. They can also be a bit tricky to get the hang of...but once you've figured them out and get it set you're looking at pretty much zero concentricity run out and very consistent neck tension. Since the brass is fire formed to the chamber, and you're only sizing the neck...you're brass pretty much lives forever...or a least a LOT longer. Especially if you anneal after a couple of firings. I have some .308 cases that have 20 loads on them and are still usable.

I've been curious to try using a Lee Collet die AFTER full length resizing for my 300 BLK and .223 AR's. Granted I don't get too much run out anyway, but I was reading a thread on 300blktalk about using a Collet die after running the brass through a full length sizing die to eliminate any concentricity issues and improve neck tension by transferring any differences in case neck thickness to the outside of the brass. Seems several have experienced significant enough improvements to make it interesting to experiment with.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    A Lee Collet Die for 9.3 x 57 would be a custom order. Lee doesn't make a 9.3 x 57 die. Lee makes 9.3 x 62, which is a 30-06 length case that is larger in diameter, a bit too long without trimming the die itself.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I did not say to do it without lube.

If I neck sized, I would still use lube. Otherwise you WILL damage your brass.

My point is I dip the neck in dry lube. If you use a normal sizer die you will squeeze down the case. That nullifies the whole point of fire formed brass. I'm saying get a neck sizer and be done with it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You are assuming your chamber is perfectly straight and concentric.

This is why many long range shooters full length size, but with limited shoulder setback

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom