• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    if you're picking up brass after a shooter, then you're not doing all you can to help reset the stage. AFTER the match, take all the time you want to pick up all the brass you want.

i meant after your stage is over... last time our squad got done a lot faster than next squad. So we were waiting around doing nothing. Plenty of time to collect brass :)

Plus depending on shooter and how hard the stage is, there might not be a lot of steel to reset!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Shoot as many as you feel like. Not like its a money or trophy match. Glock 19 is fine. Decent holster and some mag pouches is a good idea. 2 double pouches to hold 4 and load your gun from a mag in your pocket. You will quickly learn whether you can hit or not. Concentrate on hitting them rather than just trying to shoot fast.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    g19 is fine. you'll have a little shorter sight radius than the full size guns but there are def folks running g19's.

four g19 mags should get you thru any stage (you can load them up all the way). IF you don't have four, email me the nite before and i'll bring a few for you.

as said above, focus on hits and not speed. if you're getting good hits, then speed up til you're not.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Shoot as many as you feel like. Not like its a money or trophy match. Glock 19 is fine. Decent holster and some mag pouches is a good idea. 2 double pouches to hold 4 and load your gun from a mag in your pocket. You will quickly learn whether you can hit or not. Concentrate on hitting them rather than just trying to shoot fast.
    Thanks.

g19 is fine. you'll have a little shorter sight radius than the full size guns but there are def folks running g19's.

four g19 mags should get you thru any stage (you can load them up all the way). IF you don't have four, email me the nite before and i'll bring a few for you.

as said above, focus on hits and not speed. if you're getting good hits, then speed up til you're not.
    Appreciate it.

I've picked up a Blackhawk g19 holster, and will get a blade tech double mag pouch, for which I have a question.
    My 3 mags are 15rd. Are they good enough? I mean, they hold 45 rd in total, which is more than 4*10, and almost as good as 5*10. Do they require reload at certain time, or is it ok to keep going as long as there is ammo in the magazine?
    Other than these equipments plus 250-300 ammo, do I need anything else?
    Looking forward to seeing you guys in action.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    no rules on when to reload in supersteel. generally you want to avoid flat footed reloads (ie, in the middle of an array of targets), so even if you're aren't empty, it's good to reload while moving between arrays again just so you don't have to reload in the middle of one. i'd bring 2x the suggested round count. it's way too easy to throw a few misses on steel. at worst you have a few boxes of ammo to drag back home. 45 rounds should be ok for each stage but seriously, email me the nite before and i'll bring two mags for you, you can stash in your back pocket just in case you need them. and, you're allowed to use glock 17 mags if you have any (that's what i will bring if you email me).

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    no rules on when to reload in supersteel. generally you want to avoid flat footed reloads (ie, in the middle of an array of targets), so even if you're aren't empty, it's good to reload while moving between arrays again just so you don't have to reload in the middle of one. i'd bring 2x the suggested round count. it's way too easy to throw a few misses on steel. at worst you have a few boxes of ammo to drag back home. 45 rounds should be ok for each stage but seriously, email me the nite before and i'll bring two mags for you, you can stash in your back pocket just in case you need them. and, you're allowed to use glock 17 mags if you have any (that's what i will bring if you email me).
    Will do.
    Thanks.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When you are starting out its a good idea, with iron sights, to concentrate on the physically larger targets because of the 60 second par time limit. You want to shoot down as many as you can and big ones are equal to little ones score wise. If you find you can consistently hit the smaller ones also then fire at will.

I will have an extra G17 mag or two also as I use extended mags and always bring one or two 17 rd. mag as a spares.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    good advice, pick the low hanging fruit first.

guys, double check what you're using to lube/oil your guns, gonna be pretty cold saturday!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    There are two ways to shoot an action match:
    1: Shoot fast, miss, say bad words and shoot again.
    2: Aim and fire when the gun is on target.

Sooner or later you will find #2 is faster.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Thank you to everyone for the pointers.
    Does the match start with the gun loaded with a magazine and chambered a round? From Dave's video, I can't see racking the slide, so I think the match start with a round chambered. Is it right?
    Another question, where can I find the official rules for the match? I haven't been able to find them.
    GS

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have never shot this match.
    In the Matches I have shot: Each stage will have a written stage description. Starting position and firearm condition can vary with every stage. Gun loaded, magazine inserted with chamber empty, no magazine at all in the gun. Hands above shoulders, hands at side, hands on a table or wall....

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep, start with round chambered. safety on for PCC and handguns with external hammers cocked.

no written rules other than stage descriptions.

general rules (for most if not all competitions):
    finger clearly outside of triggerguard unless you are actually shooting (so while moving, transitioning, reloading, clearing a jam).
    gun pointed generally downrange and no more than 90 degrees left or right of you as you're facing the downrange berm (the 180 rule). watch your reloads to make sure gun isn't pointed even the least bit backwards.
    no firearms handling (including unbagging or bagging) unless you're at a designated 'safe' table or the range officer (RO) has told you to 'make ready.' you can reload mags anywhere BUT the safe table.
    gun stays empty of ammo and mags until the RO says make ready.

i'm shooting squad 4 in the morning and 7 in the afternoon. anyone who wants, just find me and i will give you a quick walkthru before each match starts, going over some stage theory and more importantly the rules, and we can walk a stage or two. i have a f250 maroon supercrew and will have a jogging stroller with a green midway range bag with a few neon zip ties on it. name is david. and if you're shooting the afternoon match, come out an hour or two early and watch the morning shooters to get a feel for the stages and rules.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I started a new part time job last week and work Saturdays, so I'll miss every one this round. Probably start back next calendar year at this point...

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Thanks everyone on the squad, especially Dave, who is patient and helpful to a new shooter.
    It was a great experience for me.
    Obviously I need lots of range time before I can even manage to fire off 50+ rounds within a minute.
    Hope to come back soon after I work on my shooting technique to see any progress. This event certainly established my baseline, haha.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    That's awesome, I'm sorry I missed this. I guess I'll pick up on USPSA and steel in the spring with everybody else. Until then...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom