• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Vibratory tumbler, walnut media, 3 caps of RCBS case polish - left in on while at work (roughly 8 hours).

View attachment 217572

Normally, I only tumble them for 2, maybe 3, hours at most. I'm not hard-pressed for like-new appearing brass - I just want it clean enough to spot any possible defects before the equipment/rifle finds them.

**I know, my reloading table is dusty. But that batch of brass is shiny...

I wonder what household cleaner will work as well as the RCBS polish?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wonder what household cleaner will work as well as the RCBS polish?

I honestly couldn't say. Been working with 1 bottle for the past 2/3 years. Still have more than half a bottle left.

*Edit, it's the Dillon Precision 290 case polish.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I have a vibratory tumbler that I use walnut media from Harbor Freight in. It's like $20 for a 25 pound box that will last a lifetime. I use Nu Finish car polish in with the walnut media.

Last year when they were on sale I bought a Franklin Arsenal wet SS pin tumbler. That thing cleans way better than the vibratory tumbler and doesn't send a cloud of lead dust through the basement.

The cases on the top were cleaned with SS pins, the bottom with walnut shell.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    So most of the pictures in this thread show the primers removed. Do you use single stage presses? Seems like removing the primer is an extra step that would normally be done as a function of the progressive or turret press. Do you use a seperate depriming tool, clean the brass, and then reload on a progressive or turret press?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I personally only remove primer first (generic de capping die, not the sizing/decapping die) if I wet tumble
    For dry tumbling, I throw in the brass as is.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For plinking rounds i give them a quick wash with the primer in and deprime when sizing. For precision rounds I do take the extra step of depriming first then wet tumble with pins.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I have a vibratory tumbler that I use walnut media from Harbor Freight in. It's like $20 for a 25 pound box that will last a lifetime. I use Nu Finish car polish in with the walnut media.

Last year when they were on sale I bought a Franklin Arsenal wet SS pin tumbler. That thing cleans way better than the vibratory tumbler and doesn't send a cloud of lead dust through the basement.

The cases on the top were cleaned with SS pins, the bottom with walnut shell.
    I use the stainless tumbler too. I did have a buddy who had a really bad experience with stainless. He had pins lodge into his case and didn’t catch it. It trashed his barrel. I’ve checked every case of 556 and 6.5x47 I’ve done since then and haven’t found 1 pin.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So most of the pictures in this thread show the primers removed. Do you use single stage presses? Seems like removing the primer is an extra step that would normally be done as a function of the progressive or turret press. Do you use a seperate depriming tool, clean the brass, and then reload on a progressive or turret press?

For me, with the .260, I decap/resize (I'm only bumping the shoulder back a very small amount), anneal/neck turn (mostly during brass conversions, but also annealing after the 5th firing), tumble, and then finish up.

Quickest process? No. But worth it. My handloads consistently outshoot the high-dollar "Match" ammo, so for me, that's worth the extra effort.

HWB3

Jan 18, 2017
    Ellicott City
    100 .223's in a screw top Walmart peanut plastic tub, a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing soap and a sprinkle of LemiShine dishwasher cleaner with hot water to cover the brass. Shake it once in a while for 24hrs and the brass is very clean and ready for reloading.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Well that didn't work...

I tried using Tide with bleach powdered detergent. Forgot about them for a few days and when I took them out of the solution the brass had turned very dark. I put them back into a solution of water,vinegar,salt,and dishwashing liquid for a couple of hours with an occasional shake of the jar. They came out pretty good.The picture is one that came out of the Tide batch and one redone in the water/vinegar juice.

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1509528978000.jpg
      KINDLE_CAMERA_1509528978000.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads