• If it starts with ".22" it better end with "3"

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The smallbore chairman of Maryland Rifle Club would like to get the CMP rimfire sporter match running at the AGC. If you are interested, contact;
    secretary@mdrifleclub.org

You may also want to contact Andrea Miller at MSRPA (andrea@chesmill.com) who is the state CMP representative. She can give you help in getting the match sanctioned and publicized.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You may also want to contact Andrea Miller at MSRPA (andrea@chesmill.com) who is the state CMP representative. She can give you help in getting the match sanctioned and publicized.

Thanks Mike. We can cover that part, I am our club CMP rep.. Biggest issue is getting enough people who are interested and will show up in order to make it worth the effort. According to our smallbore chairman, there is not much interest. Seems like most people are only interested in the instant gratification of shooting steel. He says that if enough people show an interest, he will run with it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Biggest issue is getting enough people who are interested and will show up in order to make it worth the effort. According to our smallbore chairman, there is not much interest.

Yep, thus the purpose of the thread to gauge interest. I suspect the fact that Berwyn is no longer (actively) holding rimfire matches at the AGC is probably a sign.

But seems like there are enough people itching for something similar to high-power matches but without expensive equipment that we could get critical mass. I haven't gotten addicted to high-power yet--between the cost of a jacket, a glove, a good scope, and spending half the match being in the pits I'd rather shoot .22 with my daughter (plus it's good father/daughter time).

Plus half of the AGC is nearly always closed except for events, seems a shame not to utilize it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's the course of fire:

Notice the rapid fire requires a reload on the clock. You begin with a loaded five round magazine, the timer starts and you get into position on the clock. Fire your first five and reload on the clock then fire the second five round mag.

I wouldn't want to try that with a tubular magazine, though I think some do, probably using speedloaders.

Attachments

• Screenshot (266).jpg
      Screenshot (266).jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 294

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    When I've shot CMP Rimfire Sporter the rapid fire stages are in two separate five round series. So you need to go from standing to prone or sitting position (if in those stages) and get your five rounds off in 30 seconds for a bolt action or 25 seconds for a semi-auto.

"Rapid-Fire Stages. Rimfire Sporter shooters soon learn there is nothing to fear from rapid-fire stages and that their rapid-fire scores will average almost as high as their slow-fire scores. 10-shot rapid-fire stages are fired in two series of five shots, with each beginning from a standing ready position". pg 31 of the guide.

Last edited:

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    The "on-the-clock" reloads are done only during the slow fire rounds so I think a tube-fed would be able to keep us so long as muzzle discipline was maintained.

But yes, detachable magazines makes this event (and Project Appleseed events as well) much easier!

Here's the course of fire:

Notice the rapid fire requires a reload on the clock. You begin with a loaded five round magazine, the timer starts and you get into position on the clock. Fire your first five and reload on the clock then fire the second five round mag.

I wouldn't want to try that with a tubular magazine, though I think some do, probably using speedloaders.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    So it looks lime my Win model 75 might work, book says 7.5 lbs, but it isn't open sights, it's peep sights. The only 22 I've got with open sights is a single shot Stevens 53.

Will the peep sights be acceptable? Not sure how the cut down stock will work standing.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    So it looks lime my Win model 75 might work, book says 7.5 lbs, but it isn't open sights, it's peep sights. The only 22 I've got with open sights is a single shot Stevens 53.

Will the peep sights be acceptable? Not sure how the cut down stock will work standing.

You would be in "T" class. Telescopic or aperature sights.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You would be in "T" class. Telescopic or aperature sights.

Which is what I don't like about these matches.

The "on-the-clock" reloads are done only during the slow fire rounds so I think a tube-fed would be able to keep us so long as muzzle discipline was maintained.

But yes, detachable magazines makes this event (and Project Appleseed events as well) much easier!

No. In the Garand matches reloads are on the clock. It's my understanding that the same is true in these matches. Appleseeds reload on the clock.

The whole point of reloading on the clock is to add a practical element, forcing you to break position, perform the task of reloading, then reacquire your position.

Otherwise, you would shoot the rapids with a single ten round magazine, or else shoot two seperate five round rapid fire stages.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    That sounds pretty hopeful, Mike. :thumbsup:

Definitely interested. Would do it at AGC, would do it at Berwyn. I mean to get out to Thurmont and give it a try, but haven't yet.

Berwyn Rod & Gun Club has applied to hold two CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches during the summer. At this point, we are waiting for approval from the CMP before officially adding it to our Calendar at our website.

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    I would love to do this. I'm still a novice when it comes to shooting but the experience would help. Would a 15-22 be okay for this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    I would love to do this. I'm still a novice when it comes to shooting but the experience would help. Would a 15-22 be okay for this?
    Yes!

CMP allows for the tactical-style rimfires to compete in their own class.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    That looks like fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and I ran the High Power Rifle program at SCSC, the 'regulars' wanted to do something "different".

One of the guys set up/designed an "any rifle - any sight" .22lr course of fire.
    It was very similar to the Centerfire NM Reduced Course, but, set up for 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards (Prone - Slow Fire).

It was a real kick-in-the-pants.

One guy even shot the match with a .22lr falling block!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom