Votes: 2 4.8%
    • If it starts with ".22" it better end with "3"

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    So I've been looking to get into competitive shooting... something I can do cheaply with my daughter (15) that reinforces the skills she's picked up at Appleseeds.

Did a quick search of ranges in the area that hold CMP rimfire. It looks like Berwyn used to, but nothing on the schedule now (although the AGC calendar search is rather useless). There's a range in Thurmont that has them, but that's a bit of a haul.

My club at the AGC has been talking about doing something that marries .22 and accuracy. How many people here would be interested in such an event? Or am I missing one already being held in the area?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    So I've been looking to get into competitive shooting... something I can do cheaply with my daughter (15) that reinforces the skills she's picked up at Appleseeds.

Did a quick search of ranges in the area that hold CMP rimfire. It looks like Berwyn used to, but nothing on the schedule now (although the AGC calendar search is rather useless). There's a range in Thurmont that has them, but that's a bit of a haul.

My club at the AGC has been talking about doing something that marries .22 and accuracy. How many people here would be interested in such an event? Or am I missing one already being held in the area?

Iron sights only?

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I'm interested.

I've always wanted to get a Know Your Limitis competition going. Only issue at AGC is going to be steel distance.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Pretty much all I shoot is 22. Would love to do 50ft 3 or 4 position, 50 yd bench rest, 100 yd bench rest or any combination.

I've got a Win 52B with both irons and scope, a win 75 with a cut down stock that kids could use, and a Mossburg 144 also with a cut down stock for kids. I'd be willing to let others use the 75 and the 144 if they don't have their own rifle. They actually came from a town run gun club from when I was a kid myself. My dad purchased them when the town closed down the club.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Not familiar with CMP match format. Would it be possible/competitive to shoot a single shot Rascal for a kid? I'd shoot my scoped Mk II so I'm in depending on schedule but if the Rascal doesn't work the kids would be out.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Did rimfire metallic silhouette for years. These days if it involves .22 it has to involve speed. For me only speed and steel targets matter much anymore.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Rimfire Sporter matches follow a format similar to that of the various CMP centerfire matches for the Garand, Springfield, and Vintage military rifles. These are bullseye matches including both slow and "rapid" fire from prone, sitting, and standing offhand.

I shoot the Garand matches at Thurmont (and sometimes elsewhere) and I like the balance of personal challenge and friendly informality.

I've thought of trying the Rimfire Sporter matches, but I've always been put off by an annoying quirk in the rules. These matches are intended to be shot without fancy competition grade equipment, with ordinary sporting rifles. No fancy target rifles. Fair enough. But somehow, the Fuddly rulemakers decided that aperture sights are "uncommon", which is errant balderdash. Aperture sighted rifle have to compete alongside telescopic sighted rifles. That is rubbish, and is the reason I've never brought my Tech Sights equipped Liberty Training Rifle.

Here is the relevant section of the rules:

Sights. Conventional rifles are divided into “T” and “O” classes according to the type of sights they have. T-Class rifles may have telescopes with a maximum of 6 power; variable power scopes must be taped at 6X or lower. O-Class rifles must have traditional open sights with a “U” or “V” rear sight notch and a post or bead front sight. Since rifles with aperture sights are uncommon, shooters who occasionally bring them are usually placed in the T-Class.
    Match sponsors, however, have the option of offering an aperture sight class if there are sufficient entries.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rimfire.pdf

I would be interested in trying these matches, if I weren't penalized for using Tech Sights.

Someone asked about using a single-shot rifle. It wouldn't work with the standard course of fire, but could be done in an unofficial match which eliminates the rapid fire stages. Maryland Rifle Club hosts Vintage matches which eliminate the rapid fire stage from the standard CMP format.

These Rimfire Sporter matches could be a lot of fun for anyone who has enjoyed the Appleseed events. The shooting style is basically identical: bullseye position shooting.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Fair enough. But somehow, the Fuddly rulemakers decided that aperture sights are "uncommon", which is errant balderdash. Aperture sighted rifle have to compete alongside telescopic sighted rifles. That is rubbish, and is the reason I've never brought my Tech Sights equipped Liberty Training Rifle.

I would be interested in trying these matches, if I weren't penalized for using Tech SightS.

It's like you read my mind, removed all the 4 letter words and replaced them with proper flowery language.
    I've wanted to try them with my LTR or Remington 513

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I would be interested in trying these matches, if I weren't penalized for using Tech Sights.
    or option 2, there are enough for an "A" (apeture) class as well as "O" and "T"

Someone asked about using a single-shot rifle. It wouldn't work with the standard course of fire, but could be done in an unofficial match which eliminates the rapid fire stages. Maryland Rifle Club hosts Vintage matches which eliminate the rapid fire stage from the standard CMP format.

These Rimfire Sporter matches could be a lot of fun for anyone who has enjoyed the Appleseed events. The shooting style is basically identical: bullseye position shooting.

could be fun, if there is enough fun left in it for kids

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    The offhand rapid fire is kind of bizarre. Plus scoring rings less that 5. I crossfired a "2" in to my buddies target just to screw with him.... He was drilling Xs when this 2 pops up... LOL

Fun matches though. I use a savage Mark II SVT nice rifle for this match doesn't cost a fortune and can compete

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The offhand rapid fire is kind of bizarre. ...

That is odd. But it could actually have more practical relevance than some of the rest of the course.

It's all good solid marksmanship in action. Discourages sloppiness and excuses: unlike steel, the scoring rings tell the truth without mercy.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    as an aperture shooter, I can say we hold our own with the t class guys but just barely.

I've been told that the reason for including us with T class instead of open is the vast advantage we have over open sights. I don't necessarily agree with that either....

The Rimfire Sporter matches follow a format similar to that of the various CMP centerfire matches for the Garand, Springfield, and Vintage military rifles. These are bullseye matches including both slow and "rapid" fire from prone, sitting, and standing offhand.

I shoot the Garand matches at Thurmont (and sometimes elsewhere) and I like the balance of personal challenge and friendly informality.

I've thought of trying the Rimfire Sporter matches, but I've always been put off by an annoying quirk in the rules. These matches are intended to be shot without fancy competition grade equipment, with ordinary sporting rifles. No fancy target rifles. Fair enough. But somehow, the Fuddly rulemakers decided that aperture sights are "uncommon", which is errant balderdash. Aperture sighted rifle have to compete alongside telescopic sighted rifles. That is rubbish, and is the reason I've never brought my Tech Sights equipped Liberty Training Rifle.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    We are looking at starting these up again at Berwyn Rod & Gun Club although there isn't anything on the schedule yet.

Even though it is a haul, you owe it to yourself to take at least one trip out to Thurmont just to see their facilities there.

Plus they run an excellent CMP Rimfire Shoot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom