• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    We have a couple of hairline cracks in our basement walls that trickle in water once in a blue moon. This is usually after we have several days of rain in a row, and maybe 2x a year. I'm in the middle a remodel, and need this fixed before I can continue on. The walls are currently exposed, and I'd like to get this done soonest.

It seems like the prices/quotes are all over the place, can anyone recommend a trusted company? MDS members preferred, of course.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Well you should understand what the companies are proposing. I am betting they are widely different from one another. Some are probably proposing a paint on coating to the inside of the wall, mortar repair inside/outside, or exterior repair. The best way to keep water out is to keep it from getting in, which usually means repairing it from the outside not inside. IMHO repairing a leak to a wall on the inside of the house is just putting a bandaid on it, which will eventually come off. Your best bet is to have someone dig out the wall repair any damaged mortar and then apply a coating to the exterior of the wall, either spray on or sheet.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    Agreed, I've had a couple of folks by already, and you're definitely right. Everything from "dig out the front and treat it" to "new drainage system under the floor". I understand that there could be multiple ways to solve the problem, but I haven't come across anyone whose opinion I actually trust yet...

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    If it is a concrete foundation with I would have it injected with epoxy. We used to do it all the time when I worked for a builder - they were just settlement cracks and they never leaked again. Let me know if you would like I can send you the info of the company we used.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    We have a couple of hairline cracks in our basement walls that trickle in water once in a blue moon. This is usually after we have several days of rain in a row, and maybe 2x a year. I'm in the middle a remodel, and need this fixed before I can continue on. The walls are currently exposed, and I'd like to get this done soonest.

It seems like the prices/quotes are all over the place, can anyone recommend a trusted company? MDS members preferred, of course.

Craig Kripas, All About Waterproofing. I know him personally and he is very honest and well respected.
    (410) 836-8666
    info@allaboutwaterproofing.com

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    My crawlspace is being done starting tomorrow (3-4 day job). Outside excavation wasn't an option for us due to lot constraints, existing porch and decks, etc.

We are going from constant standing water to (supposedly) bone dry except for the (covered) pit.

We shall see.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    My crawlspace is being done starting tomorrow (3-4 day job). Outside excavation wasn't an option for us due to lot constraints, existing porch and decks, etc.

We are going from constant standing water to (supposedly) bone dry except for the (covered) pit.

We shall see.

I had wondered about that- let us know how that works out for you.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    One well advertised company wanted to dig a $17,000 trench around my finished basement. If I didn't sign right then and there the price would have to go up.

I did not sign. I did get a landscape guy to pipe my downspouts far away from my house and patch the cracks.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I had wondered about that- let us know how that works out for you.

Had three companies out, ranged from ~$9K to almost $13k, basically all proposing the same thing with some minor differences between them. They basically all said if the block wasn't sealed/pouraged properly from the get go it's a losing battle. Plus, like I said, I can't have the entire foundation dug from the outside anyway.

I'm attempting a "conditioned" space where we are sealing the entire area off, vapor barrier on the walls, spray foam applied to the rim joist and top plate (R-13 continuous) Then R10 rigid foam on the block after the waterproofing membrane.

I've got the vents closed up (3 layers of 2" foam, one piece of 1" foil faced), only thing I don't have ready is a dehumidifier, still researching that part.

This is a full 146' interior drain, 20" ADS liner, cast iron pump, spray disinfectant to walls, repour disturbed areas, liner to the block walls tucked into the drain system.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Had three companies out, ranged from ~$9K to almost $13k, basically all proposing the same thing with some minor differences between them. They basically all said if the block wasn't sealed/pouraged properly from the get go it's a losing battle. Plus, like I said, I can't have the entire foundation dug from the outside anyway.

I'm attempting a "conditioned" space where we are sealing the entire area off, vapor barrier on the walls, spray foam applied to the rim joist and top plate (R-13 continuous) Then R10 rigid foam on the block after the waterproofing membrane.

I've got the vents closed up (3 layers of 2" foam, one piece of 1" foil faced), only thing I don't have ready is a dehumidifier, still researching that part.

This is a full 146' interior drain, 20" ADS liner, cast iron pump, spray disinfectant to walls, repour disturbed areas, liner to the block walls tucked into the drain system.
    One thing I just learned to be careful of with a conditioned crawl- if you have a furnace in there, be sure that you have some ventilation for it. If the crawl space is sealed too tightly, the furnace could have an issue trying to draw air for ignition. It didn't happen to me because my crawl is 2300 sq ft and my house is old and leaky, but my HVAC guy told me one of his customers had a crawl buttoned up and when his oil burner cranked up, there wasn't enough air. It actually caused a vacuum effect which somehow sooted up the entire interior of the guys house. Ouch!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Heatpump on main level of living area. I'm at about 10.5' from high tide here, we have ZERO mechanicals in the crawl.

I can imagine though.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    only thing I don't have ready is a dehumidifier, still researching that part.

Highly recommend "Horizon Eclipse", runs quiet, but just loud enough that you don't have to go under there to know that it runs. Keeps my crawl at 50% humidity year round. Seen online from $1100- 1400.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Highly recommend "Horizon Eclipse", runs quiet, but just loud enough that you don't have to go under there to know that it runs. Keeps my crawl at 50% humidity year round. Seen online from $1100- 1400.

Only one I know anything about (so far) are the Santa Fe models.

I'm partial to buying made in the USA for stuff like this. That price range is about it from my limited knowledge so far....

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    Craig Kripas, All About Waterproofing. I know him personally and he is very honest and well respected.
    (410) 836-8666
    info@allaboutwaterproofing.com

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

We shall see.

Ugh, that sux, sorry to hear it. I was pretty annoyed about ours, but it seems like it could be worse...

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore

I'm partial to buying made in the USA for stuff like this. That price range is about it from my limited knowledge so far....

I put a Santa Fe in my crawl, haven't done the liner yet due to me doing all the work myself. Without any liner it keeps my crawlspace at 55% humidity.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD

We have the following dehumidifier in our crawl space. Only had it a couple of months so can't speak to longevity but it is controlling at 50% RH. Cannot hear it in the house itself.

DezAir DEZ1100

Was also quoted a Generalaire DH70 which looked like it would work just as well at a bit lower price. Other considerations led us to choosing the contractor with their private label version of the DezAir.

Just in case you hadn't run across these particular units yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dig out the wall(because water is coming through the wall...not the floor) from the outside and treat or, do a French drain around the inside foundation(to get rid of the water that is leaking through the walls)?

If you have water coming THROUGH the walls, you need to treat it from the exterior. If you have water coming through the floor/foundation, you need a French drain/sump pump to remedy the situation. Almost 40 years of floor work has taught me that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom