Originally Posted by Rockzilla View Post
A member there ....

Smoke4320....his stuff is really good and works great
he's a great guy.
Use his stuff and MiHec molds

Try here he updated 3.18.21

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=powder+coat

-Rock
Some of those color numbers are the same that powderbuythepound uses. I think they all buy from one source to get the powder in bulk then sell in smaller quantities and its the same stuff. YellowGreen is the same green I use from PBP.
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2021, 10:15 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Guzma,
can you post some info on that glass oven thing your using?
It's simply a convection oven I found at the thrift store. They work great for powder coating. There's a big central fan blowing right at the heating element to make sure the heat is distributed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L7TOZJO...Y2HNK4QCG728EF

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
guzma393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2022, 01:50 PM #23

Bump.

Guzma, or anyone else ,please add to the thread with any powders you recently have purchased or are not already posted and how they worked for you.
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2022, 11:44 PM #24

I currently use Powder by the pound super durable wet black and Eastwood lime green as my powder coats.

Eastwood lime green is a great powder in my books. I only got a couple ounces left of the stuff.

My first powder was pbtp super durable wet black. By itself, it seems to run a bit thin to my liking.

To alleviate this, I experimented mixing the two together and it seems to work well.

Old January 14th, 2022, 04:14 PM #25
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

I used power by the pound and Eastwood and they seemed fine to me. I kept my powder in the basement and garage. My intial trouble with powder couldn't get it to stick. It was a Powder by the pound powder but it was not their fault. I probably did not tighten the lid and moisture got into it in the summer. I have not tried it again since dropping desiccant packs into it. They have been in 6 months and I'll have to test it.

Know your relative humidity where you store it and possible use desiccant packs to prevent it holding moisture. I had a awful time and it was just humidity in my powder and it would not stick.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2022, 06:00 PM #26
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
I used power by the pound and Eastwood and they seemed fine to me. I kept my powder in the basement and garage. My intial trouble with powder couldn't get it to stick. It was a Powder by the pound powder but it was not their fault. I probably did not tighten the lid and moisture got into it in the summer. I have not tried it again since dropping desiccant packs into it. They have been in 6 months and I'll have to test it.

Know your relative humidity where you store it and possible use desiccant packs to prevent it holding moisture. I had a awful time and it was just humidity in my powder and it would not stick.
Humidity control is number one in powder coating. In the summer, the only time I can PC is if I turn on both dehumidifiers in the basement and let them run half a day to get the humidity low enough for static electricity to work with the powder.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2022, 11:42 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
Humidity control is number one in powder coating. In the summer, the only time I can PC is if I turn on both dehumidifiers in the basement and let them run half a day to get the humidity low enough for static electricity to work with the powder.
I knew humidity is definitely a factor, but could there be some powder coats that are more humidity sensitive than others? I never really bat an eye when powder coating with the eastwood lime green stuff, even after humid summer rainy days.

As for Archer's case, that might be an extreme situation where a substantial amount of moisture was absorbed into that powder.

Old January 15th, 2022, 07:09 AM #28
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzma393 View Post
I knew humidity is definitely a factor, but could there be some powder coats that are more humidity sensitive than others? I never really bat an eye when powder coating with the eastwood lime green stuff, even after humid summer rainy days.

As for Archer's case, that might be an extreme situation where a substantial amount of moisture was absorbed into that powder.

Most definitely only I have not spent the time and money to find them out. The green stuff that Melnic uses works great for me so I just stick with it. I played with several PBTP powders in the beginning but didn't really keep notes.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.

Proud Patriot Picket
Old January 15th, 2022, 08:25 AM #29
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzma393 View Post
I never did much with the PBTP powder that did not work except open it to admire it and leave it closed in the garage. This was my first experiment with powder coating bullets. I did jigs for years but heated them and swished in powder and hung on the toaster oven rack to cook once they were all done. I heated bullets once and tried that and let me tell you melting a glob of powder coated bullets, that all stuck together because they were hot, back down in the pot is a F'ing mess!!! My first experiments powder coating bullets was like a fish out of water flopping on the shore line. I was amazed how bad I could mess something up.

Where do you do you powder coating? I tried in the garage and failed. The basement holds 50% relative humidity except when the wood stove is running and maybe hits 40 or 42. Right now The wood stove had it at 31 in the kitchen. Air conditioning help lower it also. I get my dog towel and spread them on the kitchen island. Heat the toaster oven in the garage. Dump and mix the bullets over the towels, put down the cardboard reclaim tray and baking mesh pan, dump bullets shake and over cheap pan to the toaster over to bake. I do this while the wife went shopping, clean up and roll the towel up and walk off the patio and shake them out.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2022, 08:41 AM #30
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post

Where do you do you powder coating? I tried in the garage and failed. The basement holds 50% relative humidity except when the wood stove is running and maybe hits 40 or 42. Right now The wood stove had it at 31 in the kitchen. Air conditioning help lower it also. I get my dog towel and spread them on the kitchen island. Heat the toaster oven in the garage. Dump and mix the bullets over the towels, put down the cardboard reclaim tray and baking mesh pan, dump bullets shake and over cheap pan to the toaster over to bake. I do this while the wife went shopping, clean up and roll the towel up and walk off the patio and shake them out.
I use the basement as I have two dehumidifiers down there if I need them. However, I try to make my bullets in the spring and summer and then powder coat them in the fall when the humidity is less. I bake them in the yard so there are no fumes about.

BTW, I have found that, after applying the powder to the bullets, you can leave them stacked for even a couple of weeks until you can bake them. I have not noticed any issues with the paint falling off when doing this.

(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.

Proud Patriot Picket

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading