• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello all. The good idea fairy recently convinced me to build a Garand with NM touches. I have already purchased NM sights and I already have a bunch of spare standard parts laying around (magazine parts, oprod, gas cylinder, stock, etc). I will be buying a USGI stripped receiver and either a Criterion or Krieger barrel (still haven't decided...need to do more research on both). After I get the barrel installed into the receiver and all remaining parts, I will be sending it to CMP for their upgrade service they offer. The problem is, is I am torn as to whether I want to go with the normal 30.06, or .308. I already reload for both so I will not have to get anything extra for either. Is one better than the other or is it mostly just personal preference? I already have a SA Garand in 30.06 so part of me thinks it would be a nice addition to have one in .308. What say you?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    To bad your not looking for a Barreled Receiver. I have a 3.67mil with original 2/45 barrel with original finish I will be selling when I get some time.

As for your question, its totally up to you if you want a 308, I personally would not want more calibers that I already have so I personally would keep 30-06, but if I had some 308 guns I would prolly think differently.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I would think parts for a .308 Garand would be more difficult to locate in the long term. The world is awash with .30-06 Garands but .308 ones aren't nearly as common. Sort of like buying an AR15 which isn't mil-spec.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I would think parts for a .308 Garand would be more difficult to locate in the long term. The world is awash with .30-06 Garands but .308 ones aren't nearly as common. Sort of like buying an AR15 which isn't mil-spec.

Only real difference is the barrel.
    Personally I'd stick with .30-06 though.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    To bad your not looking for a Barreled Receiver. I have a 3.67mil with original 2/45 barrel with original finish I will be selling when I get some time.

As for your question, its totally up to you if you want a 308, I personally would not want more calibers that I already have so I personally would keep 30-06, but if I had some 308 guns I would prolly think differently.

I might be interested when you sell that barreled action.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    FYI there is a program in Anniston where you can go there and build an M1 using their tools and equipment, under their armorer's supervision. It's a 3 day deal. Someone I know did this last year and said it was a fantastic experience.

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/advanced-maintenance-class/

The selection for the Garand Advanced Armorer's Class for the 2018 classes starts soon. Check out the CMP website for details.

I know I enjoyed the class last year. Not cheap but a good time!

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Ok, so I am leaning more toward 30.06. I would love to go to CMP and build one there. I have seen pictures of the process and it looks like a lot of fun.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I would not build a 308 unless I already had or was planning to get a 3006. You have to have one in the original caliber for the true experience, which you do, so the 308 could be the "fun " garand

I've got a reciever I was thinking about building into a 308.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Plenty of great advice already given. Stick with a 30.06 from someone who has owned a ton of Garands. It'll be much easier to sell if and when that time comes. I owned only one in .308 and it is long gone.

Lew--Ranger63

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I would go .308. Blah blah blah 30-06 history, and surplus. If you're building a .308, no historical value and cheap 30-06 surplus won't be around forever.
    Plus it uses GI parts only difference is the chamber and a magazine spacer so you can't load an en bloc full of 30-06.
    Best of both worlds, heck throw a Shuster gas plug in it and shoot everything you can find.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    I have 20 Garands in 30.06 and one in 7.62x51 and it is my favorite rifle to shoot.
    I would get a Criterion , you will not notice any difference with the Krieger barrel other than it costs more

Thanks, I will consider that.

Correct, I do have a Garand that is all standard issue USGI...no frills in 30.06. The reason for building one to shoot .308 would be to add more variety. I already reload .308 for my 700 and M1A so I already have everything needed there. I just didn't know if one was known to be more accurate out of a Garand than the other, but it sounds like they perform almost exactly the same.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    No one has mentioned the main difference in barrels...I believe the Criterion is button rifled and the Krieger is cut, but the biggest reason Krieger got big making these barrels to start with is the fact that the gas port is drilled first and the rest of the barrel is timed to that. This allows the gas port to be located down in a groove.
    I would build a 308. I have never had any trouble selling them and actually I believe they sell quicker. It really depends on who you market it to, collectors are not too interested, but the guy that wants to own/shoot a Garand sure will. I have built and own several of either one, even did a 270 once when the barrels were available. I cannot tell when shooting it what case is being ejected and neither can anyone else so I am not getting the "30-06 experience" thing. The other thing I would say to the 30-06 is that I would not go to the expense of building a nice NM upgraded Garand on the pretense that I could shoot cheap, junk, surplus, usually corrosive, action and barrel wrecking ammo. Plan on reloading some decent stuff in a nice gun like you are going to build.
    As far as NM and having one that's a nice shooter I would suggest you consider the most important thing you need besides a good barrel, glass bedding. Not too many smiths around will do it. It's kind of a pain but it really makes a world of difference accuracy wise. In fact, even the best match barrel is not much help if the receiver/action fit loose in the stock. Sights are subjective, it depends on how good your eyesight is, a small aperture and thin front blade is not any help if you cant see them. I would also suggest you consider an adjustable gas system, the Garand has a rather violent action and can stand a little "softening". Good luck finding a good hammer...they can be a tough thing to get a hold of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom