My 1st (and only) CMP Garand finally showed up!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hello all. I finally got my M1 from the CMP today. Been waiting since March for it to ship. I can post pics later as I had to run to work. My question is, should I coat the stock in oil as it doesnt appear to have any on it. The stock appears to be "new." It is in great shape but doesnt appear to have any oil or protective coating on it. Any thoughts? I also want to get it parked in the future as well.

Thanks!

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Boiled Linseed Oil. Be careful with the old rags soaked in BLO though as they can spontaneously combust until dry.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Tung oil is also an option but you need to make sure you get actual tung oil not tung oil finish.

Where are you located? I have some in my reloading room.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks guys. I have been going back and forth between tung oil and BLO. I think I am leaning BLO. I have a couple of crap stocks sitting around for other guns that I am going to test on. I am in Carroll County. I forgot the pics last night after work but will definitely post some tonight when I am back from work. I love the gun, now just have to take her apart and clean and inspect. The stock looks brand new but no oil or protectant. Their are some nicks and dings on the metal. Looks like most of the gun was blued as opposed to parked? Will eventually get it reparked to original as well. I want this to go to my son and his son and so on. Been wanting one of these since I was a kid.

:party29::party29::party29:

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Hello all. I finally got my M1 from the CMP today. Been waiting since March for it to ship. I can post pics later as I had to run to work. My question is, should I coat the stock in oil as it doesnt appear to have any on it. The stock appears to be "new." It is in great shape but doesnt appear to have any oil or protective coating on it. Any thoughts? I also want to get it parked in the future as well.

Thanks!

What grade of Garand did you get that requires Parkerizing?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I would assume a FG is he is considering a park. Please don't park unless you have to as a worn original finish is still more desirable.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I would assume a FG is he is considering a park. Please don't park unless you have to as a worn original finish is still more desirable.

^^^^^^ this.

They used to sell (when they did not put a halt to everything) a SPECIAL GRADE SELECT I think) that is an all reworked, reparked, new barrel Garand.
    I have one, and it shoots GREAT, but if I had to keep just one, it would not be that. keep it as original as possible. If you could find a used GI stock in good condition, you can swap it with what you have.

Post pics with Sn so it can be dated.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    I would suggest..

Thanks!

That you slow down and do some more research. The rifle is not going to melt anytime soon. Kinda like the Doctor Motto, "Do no Harm".

Tell us more about it and post pics. Lots of folks here that can help and even more on the CMP Forum.:thumbsup:

Rob

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Now you need to sign up for the Advanced Maintenance Clinic and build one from the ground up! Well worth the trip to the CMP Custom Shop in Anniston GA.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Pictures finally

I have attached some pictures. Sorry. I commute over 300 miles per day and have been exhausted.

Thanks All!

Attachments

• Garand 1.jpg
      Garand 1.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 431
    • Garand 2.jpg
      Garand 2.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 462
    • Garand 3.jpg
      Garand 3.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 418
    • Garand 4.jpg