• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Took the Colt Commander I bought new a couple of years ago to the range today. First time out with it. Just a plain Series 80 Commander in .45, nothing fancy, even still has factory blade sights. Had never shot it before today. I must admit, I am enamored with this pistol. Smooth as silk, so balanced and so darn easy to shoot accurately. And not a single malfunction out of this new gun. I think I have a new favorite range toy lol.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Took the Colt Commander I bought new a couple of years ago to the range today. First time out with it. Just a plain Series 80 Commander in .45, nothing fancy, even still has factory blade sights. Had never shot it today. I must admit, I am enamored with this pistol. Smooth as silk, so balanced and so darn easy to shoot accurately. And not a single malfunction out of this new gun. I think I have a new favorite range toy lol.

I carry one most every day.

38392365_10160602758910585_2481390778006372352_n.jpg

38301095_10160602758925585_3831107937519009792_n.jpg

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Who did your sight work? Have an officer model I want to upgrade.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Who did your sight work? Have an officer model I want to upgrade.

The rear sight is factory. The front sight should have a fiber optic rod in it, but it broke about 5 years ago and I never replaced it. I am not the original owner and it came to me with those sights.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have and used to carry a Lightweight Commander...an excellent pistol. I never really understood the need of the all-steel Combat Commander. The minor difference in length and weight over the Government Model is pretty negligible. I have and yet to shoot a Lightweight Government Model...that could the best of both worlds. Between that and a Defender all bases could be covered for the most part.

dh350twin@

May 25, 2018
    What’s good price for a used one. Saw one at a local shop and didn’t pick it up. But might go back for it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have and used to carry a Lightweight Commander...an excellent pistol. I never really understood the need of the all-steel Combat Commander. The minor difference in length and weight over the Government Model is pretty negligible. I have and yet to shoot a Lightweight Government Model...that could the best of both worlds. Between that and a Defender all bases could be covered for the most part.

I can empathize with this holding one caveat. That being the loss of 3/4” in length of the slide and barrel yields a rather large increase in recoil. Not a vicious increase but noticable enough to ponder the advantages over a Government length gun. That makes the weight of steel over alloy desireable for some. Not stating a preference either way, just an observation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The difference between the alloy Commander and the steel Combat Commander is larger than between the Combat Commander and a 5inch Gov't .

The primary difference in comparing a Gov't and a Combat Commander is the balance . The CC is more akin to metal framed " sevice sized " pistols .

The popular cliche is no meaningful difference is carrying 4.25 vs 5.0 , usually further citing the commonality of grip sizes .

The actual answer is sometimes, and it depends . IWB makes little difference . OWB , carried under a shirt tail the 3/4 does make a difference .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The difference between the alloy Commander and the steel Combat Commander is larger than between the Combat Commander and a 5inch Gov't .

The primary difference in comparing a Gov't and a Combat Commander is the balance . The CC is more akin to metal framed " sevice sized " pistols .

The popular cliche is no meaningful difference is carrying 4.25 vs 5.0 , usually further citing the commonality of grip sizes .

The actual answer is sometimes, and it depends . IWB makes little difference . OWB , carried under a shirt tail the 3/4 does make a difference .

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The one pistol I regret selling, was the Combat Commander I bought in the late '70s to give to my Dad.

He wanted nothing to do with 1911(s) or '03 Springfield(s), or M1 Garand(s).

"I had enough of those damned things during the war, to last a lifetime."

It was a nice pistol.
    S&W K-frame rear sight was 'let' into the slide.
    A K-frame red ramp front sight was melted into the slide.
    Long skeletonized trigger.
    Nice beavertail grip safety.

A friend wanted it badly, so, I sold it to him, like a fool.

I shoulda kept the daggone pistol.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Took the Colt Commander I bought new a couple of years ago to the range today. First time out with it. Just a plain Series 80 Commander in .45, nothing fancy, even still has factory blade sights. Had never shot it before today. I must admit, I am enamored with this pistol. Smooth as silk, so balanced and so darn easy to shoot accurately. And not a single malfunction out of this new gun. I think I have a new favorite range toy lol.

Mine is my favorite, too. It's a 1979 model that I feel like I stole from my local gun shop. All I've done to it is change the grips. Not a single malfunction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      159.4 KB · Views: 185

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads