• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well, I stand corrected. MD Code does indeed require "occupation" be listed on the application in 5-118. So this is not an FLD thing, we can thank the Firearms "Safety" Act for it.

But...MSP is now defining what the definition of "Occupation" is, when in the past they have accepted self-employed, military, and others that they are no longer accepting.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    But...MSP is now defining what the definition of "Occupation" is, when in the past they have accepted self-employed, military, and others that they are no longer accepting.

Well you know how much they love to change the rules........

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm most perplexed how 'unemployed' is acceptable but 'none' is not.

Unemployed isn’t doing anything. But self employed is doing something. They’d like to know what that something is. That’s my guess. Self employed isn’t really an occupation, it’s a tax status. I wouldn’t say “I am a w-2 employee” or 1099 contractor or self employed. I’d say the type of work I do (exotic dancer).

For your self employment, do you sell stamps? Work as an accountant? Perform lube jobs?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If unemployed is ok then job description is irrelevant. Much like on the 4473. If non binary is an option then sex really doesn’t matter. Two questions that should be removed based on the acceptable answers that don’t answer the questions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If MGA put it into the law , then MSP can ask . What's changing now is the arbitrary level of specificity .

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Does anyone know if MSP delays "not disapproved" emails due to the inclement weather closures similar to holidays? I was expecting an email at 6AM but assumed that the closure might be the cause when I hear that about the state government being shut down today. Still showing as "under review" status late on "Day 8" (77R submitted for review last Monday, so today would be the normal day). Not in a rush as I had plenty to do today already, but never gave a thought that inclement weather might result in a delay.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Does anyone know if MSP delays "not disapproved" emails due to the inclement weather closures similar to holidays? I was expecting an email at 6AM but assumed that the closure might be the cause when I hear that about the state government being shut down today. Still showing as "under review" status late on Day 8. Not in a rush as I had plenty to do today already, but never gave a thought that inclement weather might result in a delay.

I'm in the same boat. I don't think weather has anything to do with it, I'm sure hey're set to automatically send @6AM. Maybe Friday being New Year's Eve???

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I'm in the same boat. I don't think weather has anything to do with it, I'm sure hey're set to automatically send @6AM. Maybe Friday being New Year's Eve???

:thumbsup: That definitely could be. I just looked back hoping one of my previous applications straddled a holiday. Unfortunately, none did.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Go into your profile and change your occupation to something specific, if it isn't already. Mine was approved many times, then disapproved recently. There's a new corporal heading this up and he won't accept vague job titles. You can amend your app, but you'll wait another week.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Does anyone know if MSP delays "not disapproved" emails due to the inclement weather closures similar to holidays? I was expecting an email at 6AM but assumed that the closure might be the cause when I hear that about the state government being shut down today. Still showing as "under review" status late on "Day 8" (77R submitted for review last Monday, so today would be the normal day). Not in a rush as I had plenty to do today already, but never gave a thought that inclement weather might result in a delay.

While the office being closed, may delay the e-mail, by law, it does not delay the release of your firearm on the 8th day.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Holidays do not factor into anything unless your 7th day falls on a Holiday, then your 7th day gets moved out a day per state statute.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    7 days for my last one including sundays. Yep 6 am e mail also.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ I did a Sunday transfer at Chantilly last year, approval cam in at 6:00 AM the following Sunday. Picked up Monday, since the FFL was closed on Sunday.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If the 7th day falls on a Sunday, or legal holiday the next following day that is neither a Sunday or legal holiday counts as the 7th day and the firearm would be eligible for release the next day.
    Every regulated firearm purchased on Monday gets Not Disapproved email the following Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom