• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Please excuse my ignorance as I have not been a resident of the state of Maryland for very long. Can someone direct me to where I may find a listing of what firearms are regulated and legal in the state of MD? It is my understanding that any firearm that is a handgun or assault type being bought in another state must come into the state from FFL to FFL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Please excuse my ignorance as I have not been a resident of the state of Maryland for very long. Can someone direct me to where I may find a listing of what firearms are regulated and legal in the state of MD? It is my understanding that any firearm that is a handgun or assault type being bought in another state must come into the state from FFL to FFL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you own what MD calls a regulated firearm in another state and then move here, you do not need to tell anyone and you can drive the gun here in your car or fly here. (as long as you follow Federal air travel rules.)

If on the other hand, an uncle wants to give you a gun, any gun andhe lives in another state, then it must go through a FFL. (Federal law, not state.)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The FFL to FFL requirement refers to transfers between unlicensed individuals across state lines. It's been a federal law since 1968 that you can't buy a gun from someone in another state, even if it is another private citizen, without going through an FFL.

Additionally, in Maryland all handguns and any rifles on the "assault weapons" list require extra paperwork, an MSP background check, and a 7-day wait when you acquire them. If you already own them coming in here however this does not apply.

Bear in mind not every "scary" semiauto rifle is on the assault weapons list. The 7-day law applies only to the weapons on the list and copies of them.

The Maryland handgun roster only applies to selling guns in the state, not owning them. In other words, you can keep whatever you own when you come in, and no there is no registration requirement.

There is a registration requirement for any full auto stuff you might bring in. Any machine gun has to be registered with MSP within 24 hours.

About the only thing really verboten to bring with you is a designated "assault pistol." Those you cannot bring into the state and can get in trouble for. There is a list of them, it is mainly Tec-9 and Mac-10 clones and similar.

§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:

(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;

(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;

(3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;

(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;

(5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;

(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;

(7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;

(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;

(9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;

(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;

(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;

(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);

(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;

(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or

(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-1; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    FWIW....I know everyone doesn't always log in directly to the main page of the site, but for future reference the links to the handgun roster and regulated long gun list are on the right side under "Legislative Links" :thumbsup:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The guns do not have to be FFL to FFL, they can be transferred by a non-lecnsee directly to the FFL in another state and then transferred to the other state resident. You are not required to use an FFL on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom