• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    A friend picked one of these up recently and I had a chance to check it out.
    Seems well built, a push of a button and the barrel and forearm come off, and it takes Glock mags. I decided I may need one. I found some old threads about it here and Hickock45's review, but would like to hear from the guys that bought one recently. Like to hear your opinion of the carbine, any problems you have, and if you think it was worth the money you gave for it. any info. you have is welcome, TIA.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You can go on www.rugerforum.net and www.rugerforum.com. Go on the semi auto rifle forums on both. A lot of people have bought them on there. A lot of good info about the PC Carbine on there. As of last week on Ruger's website they just came out with it chambered in .40 Auto also now. I purchased the 9mm last year. I haven't had any problems with it. Shoots good with both my handloads and factory loads. A fun pistol caliber shooting carbine. Ruger is the best with warranty. Doesn't matter if you are the first or the tenth owner of a Ruger firearm they cover it. In my opinion they are the best in the industry for warranty.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I bought one last year. Be sure to properly torque the action screws in after stripping it for cleaning. That's the only part of this I had a problem with. Runs like a sewing machine. I shot aluminum cased, steel cased, and heavy sub-sonic ammunition. As long as the actions screws are tight, it just runs.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Hi Rebel,

If you watch the Hickock 45 PART 2 video on the subject he recants most if not all of his complaints. He got "a bad one" the first time around.

I love mine. Really fun to shoot. I do have some glock mag issues now and again so not flawless, at least for me. I may have to look at Jim's suggestion, I don't own a torque wrench, and the manual does call out torque specifications.

Likely will take it to the range this weekend for a "walk". ;)

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Why can't they make a non-takedown version? I'd buy one, but have no use for an extra complexity that I've heard can be an issue.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Why can't they make a non-takedown version? I'd buy one, but have no use for an extra complexity that I've heard can be an issue.

Probably found a take down version would be more popular. A non-take down version means more tooling that they need to make and different parts. If the take down version can capture 80% of the market that they wanted, 20% for a non-take down probably isn’t worth it to them financially.

Making it in other calibers is already going to be diminishing returns and even less differences there (different bolt face and the barrel is different, but can probably be made from the same blanks and finish steps after hammered and reamed. Also probably a different weight in the bolt and spring).

A non-take down version would basically share the bolt and FCG. Everything else would be different.

I don’t own anything in .45, but I’d still love to see them make it in .45acp. Some .45acp 230gr +P rounds and a suppressor seems like a fun toy.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    At least they are starting to roll out the distributor exclusives. Dark Earth metal on black looks share ask does OD plastic on blued metal. Might have to have one if the prices stay low.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I got one a few months ago and I love it. No problems with glock mags. Used G17 10 rd, 17rd and 33 round mags. Like some said, runs like a sewing machine. Suppressed or not, it just seems to work with any ammo it run though it. Gotta make sure you clean before you take out the first time. On the first trip I ran 20 33 rd mags through as a test. I had one FTF and I blame that on the ammo.
    I was going to put some red dot on it, but I really like the irons it came with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom