South Carolina Constitutional Carry in 2019?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have a SC non-resident permit and it's recognized in about 28 other states. I'm surprised SC doesn't recognize other state's NR permits.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

We'll see but if memory serves it always passes the House, then the Senate just sits on it. I'll have to look up and see if the Senate committee chair is someone who's killed bills in the past.
    The article is again full of the same one liners that we've seen for over 30 years now. Doom and gloom and criminals will somehow now find some new opportunity at mayhem with open carry becoming legal :sad20:

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Uh, which is it?

"House Bill 3094 would allow gun owners to openly carry their weapons on their bodies and in their cars if they have concealed weapon permits."

Color me confused. Aren't these opposites?

As an aside, a great friend lives in Charleston. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone, but people from Northeast (NY, CT, NJ) are headed there in droves. There are snapping up homes unseen. Developers are increasing prices of future builds almost weekly.

We're actually re-thinking our future plans. Politics, taxes, 2A suck here, but we love the seasons. Woods or beach in less than 3 hours and the bay are reasons we love MD. Most of all friends are here.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Uh, which is it?

"House Bill 3094 would allow gun owners to openly carry their weapons on their bodies and in their cars if they have concealed weapon permits."

As an aside, a great friend lives in Charleston. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone, but people from Northeast (NY, CT, NJ) are headed there in droves. There are snapping up homes unseen. Developers are increasing prices of future builds almost weekly.

We're actually re-thinking our future plans. Politics, taxes, 2A suck here, but we love the seasons. Woods or beach in less than 3 hours and the bay are reasons we love MD. Most of all friends are here.

Yes, but they wouldn't be the first. Right now both TX and TN have the same requirement for OC.

I hope this passes, a step in the right direction but I have zero faith that it will. South Carolina remains the armpit of the south east.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Yes, but they wouldn't be the first. Right now both TX and TN have the same requirement for OC.

I hope this passes, a step in the right direction but I have zero faith that it will. South Carolina remains the armpit of the south east.

I've tried my best to like SC, but I'm starting to agree with Stove. Other than visiting friends, I'd probably opt to go somewhere else. I'm more into Western NC.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I've tried my best to like SC, but I'm starting to agree with Stove. Other than visiting friends, I'd probably opt to go somewhere else. I'm more into Western NC.

If you like western NC keep going to eastern TN. Better taxes, a R supermajority in both houses and they are about to go Constitutional Carry.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

This is happening all over the south East states. Georgia , sc , nc, and Florida.

The parasites know no bounds. They regulate and tax there areas into shitholes, then flee with their racist , privileged money (sarcasm)to a freestate , only to try and ruin it and move on. Vicious cycle

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    We'll see but if memory serves it always passes the House, then the Senate just sits on it. I'll have to look up and see if the Senate committee chair is someone who's killed bills in the past.
    The article is again full of the same one liners that we've seen for over 30 years now. Doom and gloom and criminals will somehow now find some new opportunity at mayhem with open carry becoming legal :sad20:

It's passed the House, no action yet in the Senate other than committee assignment. This is basically an expansion of the CCW permit to allow open carry, it is not a constitutional carry bill.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Uh, which is it?

Our neighbors just put their house on the market last weekend. They already have another one near Beaufort. Anyone looking for waterfront in SOMD (Hollywood)?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    SC has just passed a ConCarry bill HB3096. Once again though, the House was a slam dunk and moves over to the much more difficult Senate.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    House passed it. Senate is still deliberating it. Four weeks remaining in the session but this is the first of a two-year cycle so they can pick back up next year where they leave off this year.

We’ve been down this road in SC before....

FMD

Didn't get Constitutional Carry this session. House passed it but stuck in committee in the senate. It was also attempted as an amendment to the Open Carry bill in the senate but 8 Republicans got cold feet and didn't vote for it. This is the first year of a two-year session however, so they can pick back up next year without starting from scratch.

The good news is the Open Carry bill did pass and is headed to the governor's desk for signature. If you have a SC CWP (concealed weapons permit - unsure if the name will be changing) you will be able to carry concealed or openly, your choice. The bill also eliminates the $50 fee to acquire a permit. The bill also specifies that the state can not be compelled by the federal government to implement or enforce a law related to an individual's right to keep and bear arms.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Didn't get Constitutional Carry this session. House passed it but stuck in committee in the senate. It was also attempted as an amendment to the Open Carry bill in the senate but 8 Republicans got cold feet and didn't vote for it. This is the first year of a two-year session however, so they can pick back up next year without starting from scratch.

The good news is the Open Carry bill did pass and is headed to the governor's desk for signature. If you have a SC CWP (concealed weapons permit - unsure if the name will be changing) you will be able to carry concealed or openly, your choice. The bill also eliminates the $50 fee to acquire a permit. The bill also specifies that the state can not be compelled by the federal government to implement or enforce a law related to an individual's right to keep and bear arms.

Wait, so the permit is now free?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    A more realistically obtainable goal would be to address reciprocity .

Well, maybe. It seems there was an almost equal resistance when SC carved out reciprocity for GA & NC not long ago.

I'm also kind of miffed that no gun rights orgs have tried to sue the state in regards to banning carry for residents of numerous states. I would think the SC courts would be receptive to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom