• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    The last two days I have been working on cut up,pack ,freeze and clean up of two deer......still working on clean up.As much as I would love to get out,I would hate myself if I had to start all over...lol

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    put this 9pt down the other night in Baltimore country

IMG_3388_zpsrrtpfmao.jpg

Nice! Dark muzzle. Pretty.

You beat me to it!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Going out tomorrow morning. What's the outlook? Outrider?

Outrider has been taken a bit of a break from the boards. Not sure when he will be back. Eventually I believe was the jist of what he told me :-)

I've gotta help my brother-in-law demo a garage and breezeway today. Next weekend I have to take care of my boys while my wife does girl scouts things with our daughter, the following Monday I have off, but I've been instructed to spend the day with my wife. She finally wants to go to the range for the first time...so I'll suffer no hunting willingly. The following day I work from home...and I am taking half the day off to get in to a stand at lunch time!!!

Probably the only hunting I will do until the end of early gun season. My wife is also cool with me taking my boys hunting over winter break for late muzzleloader (separately, an 8yr old and a 10yr old together is a recipe for scaring every deer within a mile away). I finally talked to my neighbor who I often go hunting with. He's been busy as hell the last two seasons with a baby (now almost 2 now, but he has another on the way due in the spring). His daughter stirred the dogs water bowl with his cell phone a month ago and he still hasn't gotten a replacement which is why he has been incommunicado. Anyway, he still hasn't gotten his hunting license yet, but his wife was bugging him that they are down to one package of steaks and he needs to get off his lazy butt. So I think odds are looking good he will be able to do an end of early gun season trip to Greenridge with me and a late season trip to Nanticoke. I don't mind hunting on my own, but when I do trips it is a lot more fun to have one or a couple of guys along.

I've got a bunch of venison to eat through. I still have about 20lbs left over from last year and found a couple of packages of steak from TWO years ago I must have missed. At least my processor does a good job with packaging so the freezer burn is nearly non-existent after 2 years.

That 5 point I harvested ended up being around 60-65lbs of meat and I've also got 25 chicken I am taking to the butcher in about a month. Fortunately splitting those with my neighbor and if they all make it to the butcher (expecting to lose a few still to hawks, fox or racoons) and will look to sell a few to friends...but a LOT of chickens to add to my freezer (expecting 8-12).

Is steak any good to cut strips and make jerky? I've got a dehydrator and been thinking about trying my hand at it finally.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Outrider has been taken a bit of a break from the boards. Not sure when he will be back. Eventually I believe was the jist of what he told me :-)

I've gotta help my brother-in-law demo a garage and breezeway today. Next weekend I have to take care of my boys while my wife does girl scouts things with our daughter, the following Monday I have off, but I've been instructed to spend the day with my wife. She finally wants to go to the range for the first time...so I'll suffer no hunting willingly. The following day I work from home...and I am taking half the day off to get in to a stand at lunch time!!!

Probably the only hunting I will do until the end of early gun season. My wife is cool with me taking my boys hunting over winter break (separately, an 8yr old and a 10yr old together is a recipe for scaring every deer within a mile away).

I've got a bunch of venison to eat through. I still have about 20lbs left over from last year and found a couple of packages of steak from TWO years ago I must have missed. At least my processor does a good job with packaging so the freezer burn is nearly non-existent after 2 years.

That 5 point I harvested ended up being around 60-65lbs of meat and I've also got 25 chicken I am taking to the butcher in about a month. Fortunately splitting those with my neighbor and if they all make it to the butcher (expecting to lose a few still to hawks, fox or racoons) and will look to sell a few to friends...but a LOT of chickens to add to my freezer (expecting 8-12).

Is steak any good to cut strips and make jerky? I've got a dehydrator and been thinking about trying my hand at it finally.

It is but grind it up, cure it and spice it up instead and use a Jerky Shooter to make it.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/jerky-gun/jerky-cannon-gun-accessories

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    AM report. Zero. Nada. Stopped raining @630am. Then the wind shifted. Not in my favor. It got more breezy and cooler. I might give it a go around 3pm

Hope all is well with Outrider.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    938ca540bf3e79138d57e09313df4669.jpg

Got this guy this morning. Real old buck. He only has two teeth left. One way or another I think this would be his last year. I’m blessed with venison early this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some fine looking deer you guys have taken! Congrats!

I have done little hunting and have seen very few deer. Mama said there'd be years like this...

I got out for bear season, at least for a couple hours. Then I rolled my 4wheeler down the mountain, jacked up my knee and roached my Weatherby. Spent the rest of my week off on the couch(I did manage an afternoon set by week's end). Mama said there'd be days...

Been out all day today blowing back and forth, strapped in to a big maple. Seen 2 deer, one at 10 and one at noon. I've forgotten what an antlered deer looks like, lol.

Be careful everyone. If you go up a tree today, make sure it's a stout one. I think winds are supposed to diminish later. I sure hope they do!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    938ca540bf3e79138d57e09313df4669.jpg

Got this guy this morning. Real old buck. He only has two teeth left. One way or another I think this would be his last year. I’m blessed with venison early this year!

Congrats. Was it gut shot? Or liver shot?

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Taking a buddy to go out and hunt with me in a bit. Got a wide 8 pointer coming in 2 times in the past 5 days to hit a mock scrape so I'm setting him up near it hoping he can connnect on his first buck. I'm going to take one for the team and go sit out in a flood plain and enjoy the soggy ground :) Hoping to catch a buck cruising from one side of the creek to the other. Good luck to all this afternoon and lets hope this dang wind dies down some!

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I called it at noon, due to the wind. Wasn’t much moving. Hope the wind dies down, supposed to be a cold spell tonight. Figured I’d hit the grocery store for the wife which hopefully buys me another morning out.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Congrats. Was it gut shot? Or liver shot?

Yeah, he was gut shot. Steep quartering away shot. I was aiming at the far front shoulder, but must have pushed it a little. He stopped 30 yards after I hit him and eventually laid down. Took him a while to pass. I didn’t want to get out of the tree and push him. I tried to put another bolt through him, but was short. I decided to keep my last bolt in case he was able to get back up. My uncle came over after an hour and circled around him. He was gone by the time my uncle got to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom