• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I inherited gramps gun collection a while back most work just fine but this one..... Tubular mag which I like might shoot one string great but misfires on the next. :mad54: I'm pretty sure I have the spacing adjusted correctly, tried it loose and tight, tight works better I think. Good strong strike when it works, next string no adjustment, weak strike no bang bang.
    From what I understand this is a carbon copy of the Browning, mine was made in 1933.
    Any suggestions???

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
      IMG_0745.jpg
      92.8 KB · Views: 197
    • IMG_0746.jpg
      IMG_0746.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 203
    • IMG_0747.jpg
      IMG_0747.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 191
    • IMG_0748.jpg
      IMG_0748.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 190
    • IMG_0749.jpg
      IMG_0749.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 187
    • IMG_0750.jpg
      IMG_0750.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 187
    • IMG_0751.jpg
      IMG_0751.jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 192

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I know you're new here.

I don't have any technical advice as I am unfamiliar with that weapon and its mechanics. Sorry.

I can offer that as a noob here you might want to put a foot in at least one of your pictures. Not six inches but a whole foot. In shoe or sock or boot is ok.

Good luck and welcome.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I know you're new here.

I don't have any technical advice as I am unfamiliar with that weapon and its mechanics. Sorry.

I can offer that as a noob here you might want to put a foot in at least one of your pictures. Not six inches but a whole foot. In shoe or sock or boot is ok.

Good luck and welcome.

Thanks for the advice and welcome but does not a autographed certified BCCG avatar count?
    I was hoping there might be a gunsmith on the premises that could give me direction on Gramps gun.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Depending on where you are at, I'd take it to Scott's Gunsmithing and have him look at it.

I made the mistake of disassembling one of those for a friend who inherited it from a family member so it could get a good scrubbing. After 40 years above a fireplace in a house where everyone smoked, it was beyond nasty.

I'm relatively mechanically inclined and that thing straight kicked my a$$

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ok Ill bite. But just so you know Im untrained and very inexperienced. But if you dont mind a suggestion from a non gunsmith here goes. That adjusting ring should give you an audible click when it is moved. if it doesnt clean the mechanism with some sort of solvent that will dissolve the wax and powder fouling from bullets/firing and allow it to migrate completely out of the mechanism. Try lighter fluid or tranny fluid, something petroleum based.
    Then, look at the barrel extension to see if there is something that prevents consistent barrel lock-up and make sure the threads aren't buggered when its put back together. The two halves should marry up relatively easy. Within one click either way. If it was a pump I would say look at the end of the slide mechanism and stone any burrs of the end of it but obviously that's not the problem here but you get the idea of what to look for.
    Dont to forget to study the end of the chamber to make sure there are not burrs there form dry firing with mis-adjusted (too tight) barrel ring or the rim recess isn't full of contaminates. Lastly check the firing pin for burrs. Along its entire length. A fracture or even being broke in half which could be worse case scenario but could be silver soldered back to together.
    Thats where I would start, along with some premium ammo with consitent rim thickness which could also be the culprit but not the end all be all. A rifle like that is probably better to be diagnosed in person but its a robust design that is probably just a little sticky from sending a gazillion bullets on their way and it wasn't over-cleaned which is good.
    Nice rifle, Brian.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Ok Ill bite. But just so you know Im untrained and very inexperienced. But if you dont mind a suggestion from a non gunsmith here goes. That adjusting ring should give you an audible click when it is moved. if it doesnt clean the mechanism with some sort of solvent that will dissolve the wax and powder fouling from bullets/firing and allow it to migrate completely out of the mechanism. Try lighter fluid or tranny fluid, something petroleum based.
    Then, look at the barrel extension to see if there is something that prevents consistent barrel lock-up and make sure the threads aren't buggered when its put back together. The two halves should marry up relatively easy. Within one click either way. If it was a pump I would say look at the end of the slide mechanism and stone any burrs of the end of it but obviously that's not the problem here but you get the idea of what to look for.
    Dont to forget to study the end of the chamber to make sure there are not burrs there form dry firing with mis-adjusted (too tight) barrel ring or the rim recess isn't full of contaminates. Lastly check the firing pin for burrs. Along its entire length. A fracture or even being broke in half which could be worse case scenario but could be silver soldered back to together.
    Thats where I would start, along with some premium ammo with consitent rim thickness which could also be the culprit but not the end all be all. A rifle like that is probably better to be diagnosed in person but its a robust design that is probably just a little sticky from sending a gazillion bullets on their way and it wasn't over-cleaned which is good.
    Nice rifle, Brian.

She clicks as advertised, I did the youtube best I could but was little help. It all "looks" good but again without knowing exactly what you're looking at. Ballistol lube ect ect. When it works it's as fast as I can pull the trigger.... :sad20:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe its something in the mag tube or follower. Dirty rusty spring, flat spots broken coils small dent or just sticky. Id have to look at a disassembly guide to think of anything else or see it at this point. Try different ammo types and don't mix them together when you try it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ok last bit may have been good for fail to feed.
    My text written by PO Ackley suggests that in addition to problems associated with powder and fouling the blow back action of the model 24 is subject to chamber corrosion from the action opening before the entire charge of the case has completely burned. (pretty common) The remedy is to polish the chamber with a split dowel and oiled paper Lightly or have the chamber bushed in the worst case which will allow the cartridge rim to be completely supported for ignition. (hope not) Clean the action which you have already done. ( hopefully in front of the extractor completely !)
    Replace broken firing pin. (Doubt it) And examine the the coil spring (main spring) which fits inside the firing pin because it has become too weak. (maybe kinda)
    The last part has to do with the sear notch which I wont go into and is not part of the problem.
    Im going with dirty or corroded chamber. Feel around in there with a small piece of copper wire. If it was fired with shorts there could be a carbon ring or some degradation that's preventing the bolt from closing every round that's why it works well once you get everything moving. The inertia from the closing bolt fully seats the cartridge.
    Nice rifle probably made in the thirties, slung alot of lead I bet.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    attachment.php

From the amount of rust on the trigger I would strongly suspect there's more of it on the works inside. I concur with the advice to take to a gunsmith.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Update, got a hair up my behind and took another look. Put old brass .22 brush on drill motor, dipped in Hoppes and just reamed the hell out of the chamber last night. Tried today, checks good, works like a champ for a 80 year old semi that they made few of! Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom